Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
'21 Rubi manual. Bone stock.

Had the car ~6 weeks and 4k miles. No issues thus far.

I have a noise I can't seem to pin down, I can't replicate it on demand so I'm trying to have a little info handy to pass on to the dealer if I take it in under warranty.

It's a quick "brrrt", as though a tire were rubbing on something (it's not). It's loud and very noticeable, my wife jumped and said "what's that" the first time she heard it.

Circumstances are:

- happens when driving at low to moderate speeds, I have never heard it on the highway but that might just be a smoother road.
- Is not related to accelerating, braking, turning or shifting - most commonly, just cruising straight and level.
- It does not SEEM related to hitting a bump or anything, can be driving on a relatively smooth road and "brrrrt". HOWEVER, it DOES happen in the same places on the same road - like if I'm on my street, it will happen in front of the same house, but there's no bumps or anything in that spot? So it has to be somehow related to the road.
- Like I said, it's a sort of plasticky / rubbery feeling rubbing noise, quick and sharp, less than a second. Loud and definitely getting louder and more frequent. I have verified over and over that the STOCK tires are not rubbing on anything and it does not happen with the wheel turned anyway, but it definitely sounds like a tire rubbing something.
- Feels like it's coming from the area of the trans tunnel (maybe near the passenger's left foot) but that can be deceiving. However when my wife felt it by her foot I tried to pay a little more attention and I would definitely say I can feel that quick vibration from around the trans tunnel. Again this is a 6spd.

I have tried to replicate it in a thousand ways so I can take it in and show the dealer but I just can't. I've tried swerving, deliberately hitting potholes, speed bumps and such, shaking the truck back and forth while it's parked, and it's silent. Tried paying attention in those spots where it makes the noise and nothing sticks out to me - no bumps or potholes or anything. By the way, these spots are not the ONLY place it does it, it does it all the time under all conditions (cold and warm, nothing in bed or loaded) but I've noticed the frequency with which it happens in the same spot where I drive a lot.

I thought maybe exhaust or t-case linkage, but I still can't figure out what would be triggering it?

Any thoughts? Just trying to get some direction to give the dealer, because I know if I go take the service manager for a ride it won't do it at all. Fingers crossed this rings a bell for someone.

It just occurred to me, is it possible the t-case is momentarily slipping out of gear? Maybe I'm subconsciously resting my leg on the t-case shifter? Maybe I need to just go and put it into 4wd and back out again, do they "creep" out of gear at all? I've owned Jeeps and Scouts where the t-case pops out of gear but not slipping out and back in....
Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Are you sure you are not running over some sort of grate like a cattle crossing. sure sounds like it...Brrrrt

Could it be a manhole cover?

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
No, it happens all over on smooth roads. Fairly often. I've just been able to correlate some of the places I drive by frequently with hearing the noise at that time.

Maybe it wants to be an A-10? Brrrrrt.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Is it wet/icy/snowy roads? the anti slip may do that!

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
If it happens in front of the same house every single time, it sounds like it’s a road issue.

Sponsored

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
Mine makes a similar noise every time I back up out of my driveway and go forward about 5 feet. It was there since day 1 but I'm not all that worried about it.

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Is it wet/icy/snowy roads? the anti slip may do that!
No, if anything it's more on dry roads.

Just since I've posted this, it's gotten worse and more frequent to the point that it's pretty conclusively road-related, I'm thinking maybe right-front shock. Thanks for the help guys!

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Mine makes a similar noise every time I back up out of my driveway and go forward about 5 feet. It was there since day 1 but I'm not all that worried about it.
Probably sticky brakes.

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
OK, this noise has gotten exponentially worse over time. I have a sneaking suspicion something is up with my right rear coil spring. Does anyone happen to have a picture of a bone stock Rubicon right rear coil spring? I think something's up with the isolator or something, and comparing the left and right springs, they look different but I'm not sure if it's intentional or not. Thanks!

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
OK, this noise has gotten exponentially worse over time. I have a sneaking suspicion something is up with my right rear coil spring. Does anyone happen to have a picture of a bone stock Rubicon right rear coil spring? I think something's up with the isolator or something, and comparing the left and right springs, they look different but I'm not sure if it's intentional or not. Thanks!
Did you take it to the dealership?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
They couldn't find anything and tried to blame it on my undercoating. Figure I can try to go w them some direction.

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Thing is I'm trying to look in my parking lot at work in the dark. It'll be dark again when I get home tonight. But with my cellphone flashlight it looks like that plastic rub strip that wraps around the spring is turned to the inside? Trying to do a little homework before I try and dig into this in the dark tonight.
Sponsored