Curtjeep

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD Overland
Jeep-a-kneez-
I use the curt bluetooth controller. I switch it between my gladiator and Ram as needed so I don't have to buy another one.

Gren71- I know how you feel. If my son was younger we would probably HAVE to use my Ram with the camper. However, you CAN move everything except people into the camper to offset the payload on the truck. In the weight ticket the only thing in the gladiator was me, my wife a few pieces of recovery gear, 4 rachet straps, and a tire plug kit and I still had enough payload for a third person.
Sponsored

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
So... I have a diesel as well.

That trailer might not be over the 6000 lb limit, but the frontal area most certainly is.

If I lived in lower elevations I don't think I would worry to much because you get more air mass passing through the radiator extracting heat.

Up in elevation, you don't have as much physical air passing through the fins of the small radiators that come equipped on the JT eco diesel.

Be careful if you come through Colorado in the summer. The reduced air mass in elevation, higher ambient temps (summer days), you will certainly find 260+ on oil temp.

You are also over the rated capacity of the axles based upon your weight slip, and it will be even worse with the diesel due to the extra weight.

My opinion might get thrown out.
But I would get a lighter camper and not put that much pressure on your drive train.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Curtjeep

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD Overland
OP
OP

Curtjeep

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD Overland
The rear axle weight rating for mine is 3750# that weight slip shows 3440#.

The only thing I am over is the frontal area. Which I'm not too concerned about. I live on the east coast. We have large hills, even the "mountains" here are not that bad, nor that tall. If I did go out that way I wouldn't bring the camper.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I read all 58 pages of the cooling options thread... I was concerned about it and even tried to get it to derate, but no. No issues at all. Oil temp never got over 245. When I stopped for fuel I shut it off immediately and getting back on the interstate I pinned the throttle. Maybe I was lucky somehow??? Not sure. However, I am (not so) patiently waiting for a better radiator. I am also getting the GDE tune soon and it is stock, for now. I am currently planning metal cloak fenders and 37's and probably motobilt bumpers. We will see after that if it makes a difference. Though, it towed the whole way in 8th gear and there aren't any real hills between FL and NC.
37’s GDE tune is going to help- planning to regear to 4.88’s? If you ever shoot for larger tires I’d recommend a deeper gear.

OP
OP

Curtjeep

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD Overland
I will definitely re gear. And add lockers when I do. It just makes sense to do both at the same time.

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Sssoooo... My wife did a thing.
Jeep Gladiator New Eco D PXL_20221215_231310071
I bet her side of the story went something like…that’s what you get for leaving tools out…now fix it!!!

OP
OP

Curtjeep

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD Overland
Actually... That wasn't my wrench... She picked it up driving somewhere. She was lucky in that the closed end somehow sealed the tire enough to get home. It was pushed all the way in and was holding 22 psi...

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
When I stopped for fuel I shut it off immediately and getting back on the interstate I pinned the throttle. Maybe I was lucky somehow???
Ouch, not good for the turbo. Should idle for at least 2-3 minutes when towing such a load.

OP
OP

Curtjeep

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD Overland
I don't normally do that. I am aware I should let it cool. It was for the purpose of trying to make it de-rate.
Sponsored

Last edited: