Sponsored

New Gladiator delivered without side steps?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Westin Steps and they are not a bad option. My wife and daughter seem to like them and helps get them into the truck. I live in South Texas so there is no snow or mud, etc that I have to worry about them getting caught up in. If you can afford it look at the automatic up and down type of steps. I've been in a few vehicles that have those and they are nice but pricy
I ordered my 2022 Overland with the running boards but we found they weren't enough as we got older. The 2020 came with them as part of the Overland package. I think Jeep found so many people were changing to something else, they made them an option (look at all of them for sale around the internet - here in these forums and on fakebook marketplace, craigslist and so on)
They are great at protecting the side of the vehicle, and I used the heck out of them getting in and out of my 2020, even the 22 before I changed to the power steps, and now that I've changed, I can't imagine going back.

If I trade this truck in on another JT in the future, I'll order it without anything and put these power steps on the new one.
With these (or even the stock Overland running boards) and the splash guards installed, the side stays pretty clean, and chip-free, so far.

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator delivered without side steps? 20230213_211915

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator delivered without side steps? PXL_20230518_205053918

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator delivered without side steps? 20230304_185305

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator delivered without side steps? PXL_20230408_014521421

I put the Sahara/Overland type running boards on my wife's JLU Rubicon but it wasn't enough so pulled them off and put the power steps on. She's thanked me several times saying how wonderful they are helping getting in and out.

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator delivered without side steps? 20230208_143522_HDR
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

OPA Mac

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired Certified Diagnostic Medical Imaging Services Engineer
Like you, I purchased the basic model with a standard transmission and wanted more. I bought these from Amazon. They stock a bunch of after-market and OEM add-ons. Around $200.00 with tax, title, and feathers. Sorry about the wife, Van, in reflection. tax,
Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator delivered without side steps? Running Board

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
New guy here... just took delivery of a new 2023 Sport. I got the most stripped down version I could find, even down to hand cranked windows, had to drive to a dealer in another state to get it.

Anyway, it didn't come with side steps or running boards or anything, just the pinch edge with holes where it attaches. One of the dealer guys said they weren't included with the basic Sport package and I dismissed it as lots of aftermarket stuff is available. Then forgot to ask again as it was a long day, and they're closed today.

I know there are other fancier ones available as options and I'll likely go that way, but surely there should be some basic version already there, no?
When I upgraded my Rubicon rock rails to Rock Hard ones I had to recycle the stock ones as there are so many on the market no one wanted mine. But no the basic sport does not get anything.

OP
OP
biplaneguy

biplaneguy

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Like you, I purchased the basic model with a standard transmission
I wanted a standard, but they simply don't seem to exist, at least in Sport trim. I found one, I think it was a Rubicon,, 2000 miles away... at $69,000!

Sponsored

RHINO79

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Base sport without them, steps for me would just be in the way of me getting in, it is stock height, I would probably get something if I ever decided to lift it.

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator delivered without side steps? 20231004_155226

Last edited:

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I'd stay away from any of the models that do not bolt to the frame if you plan on using your Jeep offroad at all. Any that bolt to the body lip will tear off or easily bend possibly causing damage to your Jeep body.
So, think about what those 18" levers attached to the frame are doing to the frame. They will bounce up and down on roads with bumps, and then will get mashed up into the body when you drop the weight of the vehicle on them. Then you have to devise a way to make and install them to not limit ground clearance...

So to get around the possibility of frame damage caused by the levers you just thought up, you attach to the frame, and the body... now you are transferring all the vibrations and noise that is normally dampened out by body mounts directly into the vehicle body.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So, think about what those 18" levers attached to the frame are doing to the frame. They will bounce up and down on roads with bumps, and then will get mashed up into the body when you drop the weight of the vehicle on them. Then you have to devise a way to make and install them to not limit ground clearance...

So to get around the possibility of frame damage caused by the levers you just thought up, you attach to the frame, and the body... now you are transferring all the vibrations and noise that is normally dampened out by body mounts directly into the vehicle body.
There's a reason the RSE steps attach the way they do - the frame is still free to move and vibrate within the pads. The body is actually handing the load of the power steps even though bolted on via the frame to body bolts. They want that bracket placed how it is so that the frame can still flex within the isolators. In effect, it's still bolted to the body, but looks like it's bolted to the frame.

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Sport S Eco Diesel, Jeep Renegade
Occupation
I.T.
I ordered my 2022 Overland with the running boards but we found they weren't enough as we got older. The 2020 came with them as part of the Overland package. I think Jeep found so many people were changing to something else, they made them an option (look at all of them for sale around the internet - here in these forums and on fakebook marketplace, craigslist and so on)
They are great at protecting the side of the vehicle, and I used the heck out of them getting in and out of my 2020, even the 22 before I changed to the power steps, and now that I've changed, I can't imagine going back.

If I trade this truck in on another JT in the future, I'll order it without anything and put these power steps on the new one.
With these (or even the stock Overland running boards) and the splash guards installed, the side stays pretty clean, and chip-free, so far.

Which power steps do you have? I like the look of the fit.

MODROD

First Name
Modrod Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JT
Occupation
Insurance
No sweat, been a rough morning on my end too...

My expectations of what a Jeep should be are largely formed by the CJ5 I had, very spartan. I figure the base model has less to go wrong and stretches my finances less.
I'm considering buying a Gladiator. That's why I joined this group. I'm thinking about a base model as well for the same reasons. Reliability and initial cost. I plan on doing a lot of aftermarket upgrades that have substantial benefits over any OEM upgrades so why waste $ on items I don't need and/or would have to sell them like I've done in the past. Although I do like the wide HD 44s front and back option.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Which power steps do you have? I like the look of the fit.
I really like the fit. They've done a good job.
They are the RSE (Rockslide Engineering) power steps.
I installed them roughly last March on both my wife's JLU Rubicon and my Overland. After my mods, the Overland sits about even with the height of the Rubicon Wrangler.
They aren't cheap - but their support is among the best I have ever dealt with in any industry, and they are built heavy-duty. There are also enough of us here with them that there's a bit of "peer support" as well.
I looked over many other options, took my time reading threads all over here and in other Jeep areas (as well as other truck areas) and decided on these.

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator delivered without side steps? PXL_20230324_223427421

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator delivered without side steps? PXL_20230324_223451884.MP

Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator delivered without side steps? PXL_20230325_150820095

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Although I do like the wide HD 44s front and back option.
The difference is the width, they are all otherwise "HD" axles.
there's a total of 1.5" width, meaning 0.75" per side.
So the difference between a Sport S and a Sport S with max tow is only axle width (although I believe the max tow now also includes the limited slip)
I have the same axles as a max tow under my Overland - other than width.

Cburd61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I had factory rock rails on mine, when we bought it. I installed the Rugged Ridge steps, and we love them. We have our hip/knee issues, and they make a lot of difference getting in. (Ours has a 2 1/2” lift). They bolt to the pinch rails. I sprayed them with bed liner to help slow/stop any corrosion issues. People rag on Rugged Ridges quality, but, I’ve been happy with most items I’ve bought from them in the past. We don’t do hardcore wheeling, just the occasional trail or dirt road. I mainly set ours up for a little exploring, and winter driving, to clear the ruts in the snow, when we get it.
Jeep Gladiator New Gladiator delivered without side steps? 6744F586-BE59-43E5-97FC-0F92525FFE4C

OP
OP
biplaneguy

biplaneguy

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I'm leaning towards the Westin rails in stainless I mentioned earlier. Westin confirmed that even the black powder coated parts (most of the rail) is indeed stainless underneath. That just seems like a good idea considering how many people complain about rusty rails.
Sponsored