Sponsored

New KBB teaser video

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I have no doubt that Jeep thinks what they're doing is in their best interests. I'm not ascribing malice. I just think its a silly marketing ploy that doesn't curtail the risks they fear or reap the benefits they perceive. For example, which would be better, from a newsworthy standpoint: one new story a day for twenty days or twenty news stories all on the same day? Assuming the news is good, obviously the former, yet Jeep seems to be positioning the latter.

I get that Jeep wants all of its reviewers to be able to have access to the truck, so as to be friendly to the maximum number of media outlets; that there are logistical considerations that don't permit all potential reviewers to review at the same time; etc. I get it. I just think that's bad policy. Let KBB review it, then TFL, then Doug Demuro, or Edmunds or whoever. I don't think it moves the needle in any real way to do a simultaneous roll-out versus a slow drip.

So TFL gives you a bad review because they are mad KBB got to go first or worse they try and sue Jeep for letting KBB go first. Need to be able to look at things from a point of view other than your own.
Sponsored

TamuPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJU
Occupation
Attorney
Hah! As an attorney, I would love to see the case that KBB has to SUE Jeep for letting TFL review first. No one has a right to review the Jeep, much less the right to review it at the same time as everyone else. Jeep could deny any and everyone access to the vehicle until it hits showrooms, or ONLY let Litebrite review it, because they only want annoying people to review their cars, etc.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Hah! As an attorney, I would love to see the case that KBB has to SUE Jeep for letting TFL review first. No one has a right to review the Jeep, much less the right to review it at the same time as everyone else. Jeep could deny any and everyone access to the vehicle until it hits showrooms, or ONLY let Litebrite review it, because they only want annoying people to review their cars, etc.
Hah! As a regular guy who is not an attorney, even I know that party A can bring suit against party B for any reason what so ever. I am not saying they will win or even make it to court before a judge tosses it out. All I am saying is why does Jeep want to buck the status quo or make enemies with anyone in the media? Just to please the small percentage of nerds on the forum who feel they need reviews right now? Come on even a frivolous lawsuit is a pain to deal with, then Jeep has to pay attorneys like you and in turn raise their prices for us. To many stupid lawsuits already. See here: http://www.stellaawards.com/

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I have no doubt that Jeep thinks what they're doing is in their best interests. I'm not ascribing malice. I just think its a silly marketing ploy that doesn't curtail the risks they fear or reap the benefits they perceive. For example, which would be better, from a newsworthy standpoint: one new story a day for twenty days or twenty news stories all on the same day? Assuming the news is good, obviously the former, yet Jeep seems to be positioning the latter.

I get that Jeep wants all of its reviewers to be able to have access to the truck, so as to be friendly to the maximum number of media outlets; that there are logistical considerations that don't permit all potential reviewers to review at the same time; etc. I get it. I just think that's bad policy. Let KBB review it, then TFL, then Doug Demuro, or Edmunds or whoever. I don't think it moves the needle in any real way to do a simultaneous roll-out versus a slow drip.
If it does not move the needle in any real way then why not be fair to all media outlets?

Amexis

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I say let Litebrite review one. We’d see it in action over some trails in a less controlled environment.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
So TFL gives you a bad review because they are mad KBB got to go first or worse they try and sue Jeep for letting KBB go first. Need to be able to look at things from a point of view other than your own.
I believe that's called empathy. =)

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Hah!

giphy (1).gif

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Embargoes aren't just for the kind of timing you're upset about here, they are used to ensure that as many reviewers as possible have access to the vehicles and won't be 'scooped' by a favored jeep reviewer who got a truck earlier. While we've been seeing preview videos from some of the big names, many of the review the jeeps are cycleing through a bunch of smaller names and publications for their reviews as well.

It also harkens back to a day when the majority of information came in print - by enforcing embargoes on all reviewers, a daily paper couldn't get a scoop on a monthly magazine simply by virtue of their publication schedule.

In short - this isn't something worth being upset at Jeep about - this is how ALL review media works, and Jeep plays along because they have a much bigger set of priorities than one forum nerd's impatience.

Drodgers, agree & not aiming this at you. My thoughtst... don't want more of the same, don't vote for status quo and don't punt to the next... We can do better, break a mold, carvana style. This is jeep!

jeep-ad.jpg

Last edited:

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
:facepalm: The forum jury has ruled against you bud.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So back at the ranch. This video shows the heavy front on our JT. That back leverages the weight forward downhill. For trail driving at speed, coming around a corner downhill is going to be ass high and nose low. You hit one of those mid hill outcrop rocks or if it's slick, that ass is gonna want to be in front of you. Adding a shell to my list of necessaries... #balancexweight

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
So back at the ranch. This video shows the heavy front on our JT. That back leverages the weight forward downhill. For trail driving at speed, coming around a corner downhill is going to be ass high and nose low. You hit one of those mid hill outcrop rocks or if it's slick, that ass is gonna want to be in front of you. Adding a shell to my list of necessaries... #balancexweight
All that stock plywood in the bed should take care of it
Sponsored