Sponsored

New Sport S - rethinking lift. Would like input on 33s/34s on stock height (level or no?)

old motorhead

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2013 Vette, 1969 Camaro SS, 2018 Silverado
Occupation
Retired rice farmer
New to the forum. Like what I've seen so far. Thought I'd add my $.02.

The wife's new ride is a Glady Sport S. We both are thoroughly impressed with just about everything about it. She wanted bigger tires. I didn't want to go too wide as I've hydroplaned enough times to know I don't like the feeling. We do lots of highway miles and a little off roading. We ended up putting Falken Wildpeak A/T 3W's on it in the 255/80R17 size on the stock rims. Tires are 33.1" tall and have a little more aggressive tread pattern than the stockers. Didn't touch the suspension either. Even though they're a load range E tire, we couldn't tell that the ride was degraded. I think they're aired up to 45psi. Max psi is 80. Haven't noticed any increased road noise either. I guess the big question is whether they will wear evenly at the reduced inflation number.

Her Jeep is back at the dealer for a few add ons and to have the speedometer recalibrated. I provided the dealership with the revolutions per mile of the new tires. Is that what they would change in the Jeep's PCM to make the speedometer and the odometer accurate?
Sponsored

wjt697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Looks like when I ordered my Sport S, it shipped with the overland front bumper instead of Sport s. Not sure why. But looks like I don't have to worry about trimming the air filler piece. Looks like i can go with up to 34 inch tires as stock then???

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
Here is how I trimmed the plastic using a small pneumatic angle grinder and finishing with some medium sand paper.
I just used a sharpie to trace the line of the bumper, popped them off, trimmed them, and bolted them back up.

9703DFC2-6919-4560-B481-15D06B6BC7B3.jpeg

68CB7545-DB79-48F7-8D40-3E8D2FAED0CA.jpeg

Dc71z28

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport s
I'm about two weeks out from picking up my new silver Sport S hardtop with 6-speed manual. I had planned out my first upgrades and was going to order to get installed upon arrival: Overland side steps, 17x9 Mayhem wheels (-6 offset), Mopar 2" lift, and Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50s. I have since changed my mind after spending hours on this site. I have backed away from doing the lift as I'm not really interested in altering the solid ride of the stock Gladiator. I live in NW FL and don't ever plan on doing any sort of rock crawling, serious off-roading, etc. Most off road activity will be limited to camping trips and similar. The lift (and wheels/tires) was mainly for looks, so I'm going to scrap buying the Mopar kit. So now my question has to do with tires on stock height, and secondarily a mild front level, as I prefer the rake.
- Any opinions on 285/75 vs 285/70 Nittos? I will be taking the air dam off regardless, so that's not an issue. I've tried looking at pictures, but it's difficult to tell. Does the 285/75 cause rubbing issues, or just look too big in the wheel well?
- Would a 1" level in the front cause any handling issues, or is it even necessary for these size wheels?

I'm clearly overthinking this, just want to make sure I get it right the first time. Any help/opinions are much appreciated.
IMG_20190825_134225.jpg

Sponsored

wjt697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Just ordered Patagonia 295/70r17 from discount Tire for my punk'n orange sport s. Should have pics next week.

Side note... they gave me $400 for my stock tire trade in, so all out the door for 5 (34x11ish) tires with install/tax $674.00 Not bad at all

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
Just ordered Patagonia 295/70r17 from discount Tire for my punk'n orange sport s. Should have pics next week.

Side note... they gave me $400 for my stock tire trade in, so all out the door for 5 (34x11ish) tires with install/tax $674.00 Not bad at all
I didn't even know that Discount Tire did trade ins.

wjt697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Evansville Indiana did, he seemed like it was common place. My local town doesn't have a place that would. Had to go to larger town about hour down the road. He gave me half of what they had for a value of $160 in their system. Easier than trying to sell them i figured.

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
Evansville Indiana did, he seemed like it was common place. My local town doesn't have a place that would. Had to go to larger town about hour down the road. He gave me half of what they had for a value of $160 in their system. Easier than trying to sell them i figured.
It must depend on supply and demand. My Discount Tire didn’t want mine when I got my new tires

Sponsored

wjt697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
295/70r17 Patagonia MT Stock Sport s, Non-Max Tow, No Lift, Stock Rims It does come with a bumper for some reason that other sport s does not. I am assuming it was part of the side step add or the painted fender upcharge. Not sure. But, fits and looks perfect for my taste. Pics do not show as much of a difference that actually exists. Very happy with the look and ride/noise of these tires on the 60 mile ride home ( just got em today)

Jeep 1.jpg

Jeep 2.jpg

Rick Behrendt

First Name
Boats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2017 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 Camper van.
Occupation
Retired US COAST GUARD
I leveled mine, 1.5", I didn't have to, but it gives me the option of going larger later on.

12409.jpeg

OP
OP

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Ended up going with 285/70 Nittos. Definitely a rake to it, but not sure if i want to mess with a leveling kit as I've read some have needed to buy an adjustable track bar to correct axle movement.

eqbzzjp-jpg.jpg
Sponsored