Newbie Question - 4WD Auto / Part-Time

OP
OP

coit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I too thought something was wrong with my xfer case or shifter at first as it was really difficult to shift out of 2H for the first time. But it's very easy now, so they do break in.

Never heard of a 4H Auto option on any Gladiator before now....
Yeah apparently they put the wrong shift knob on mine. Makes for a good story though.
Sponsored

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
That's crazy. And for sure they didn't put Selec-Trac in your gladiator?

What are the options? Rocktrac and...?

OP
OP

coit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
That's crazy. And for sure they didn't put Selec-Trac in your gladiator?

What are the options? Rocktrac and...?
I had posted my sticker earlier too, lol! Just the basics for the Overland it seems.

izoiy4o-png.png

Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Yeah apparently they put the wrong shift knob on mine. Makes for a good story though.
Wouldn't be the first time. Apparently some early Gladiators had an Wrangler main shift knob installed (with the Wrangler SUV silhouette vs the Gladiator pick-up).

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Oh! Command track! That's it... Part time fwd.
Rubicon has rock track

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
crazy, was really hoping for the 4H auto like an awd....used it today in freezing lite rain on my zr2 just cause...
Yeah, that's one of the things I miss on my Canyon. The Auto 4wd option. The saving grace is that my Gladiator has noticeably better weight distribution so its less of a factor than I thought it would be. Love my Gladiator, I just miss a few things about the Canyon (Auto 4wd, considerably faster with better steering and handling, and much better hwy MPG (city mpg is about the same). I had an All Terrain, so it was a lot different than your ZR2. Everything else I love more about the Gladiator and don't regret the switch.

Gladiator oz

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon & wrangler sport
Occupation
consultant
Heh, I've been focusing on the Rubi for options but knew that 4Hi auto was an option on the Sahara. Guess they didn't carry that over to the Overland. I bet if you take it in to the dealer they can swap out your knob, or keep it as a random little fluke, lol.
Have it on my Rubicon 4 WH Auto and indicates on dash when in it too

Gladiator oz

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
consultant
Is there a 2H at the top of that knob that we can't see because of the glare. I'm assuming like this one:

Jeep Gladiator Newbie Question - 4WD Auto / Part-Time izoiy4o-

Description (FROM A JL Sahara):
The new Selec-Trac® III Full-Time Four-Wheel-Drive System includes a 2.72:1 low range. This two-speed, active full-time system includes a 4H AUTO mode that requires no driver input for any driving conditions. In 4H AUTO, 4WD is automatically engaged and disengaged as needed to maintain traction.

However I did not know that was an option on the Gladiator...and I haven't found how to spec that in the online build.
Same on my rubicon

20200831_110501.jpg

20200831_110528.jpg

Sponsored

jrf

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (White), 2001 TJ Sahara (white)
Vehicle Showcase
So you didn't get the rock-trac t-case with 4:1 in a Rubicon? That's very interesting...

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I had to reread the manual because I'm also a newb when it comes to 4WD, but I didn't see anything saying to put the transmission in neutral when switching from 2H to 4H. The language about letting off the accelerator and moving at speeds of 0-45 mph led me to think they were talking about shifting while still in Drive.

It does mention doing this when switching from 4H to 4L, though.

But once again I am new to all of this. I put it through 4H and 4L on a muddy road just to test it out but haven't done it again since. It was pretty stiff but I figured it was the first time anyone's done it. It did throw me a loop when I put it in 4L - I was rolling slowly and put it in neutral, then shifted to 4L. But when I tried to put the transmission back in Drive it made me shift to Park first.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if FCA produces different 4WD systems in Gladiators but I do know it's important to RTFM.

And for the OP, have you gone back to the dealership to talk about your shift knob?

4dl6at.jpg

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
Same on my rubicon

Jeep Gladiator Newbie Question - 4WD Auto / Part-Time 4dl6at

Jeep Gladiator Newbie Question - 4WD Auto / Part-Time 4dl6at
That's all wrong for a Rubicon....they should only come with the rock trak 4:1 part time TC. I would have that looked at ASAP

Gladiator oz

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
consultant
That's all wrong for a Rubicon....they should only come with the rock trak 4:1 part time TC. I would have that looked at ASAP
All rubicons in Australia are same has rock track 4wd switch in center console
Sponsored