Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to have you rewire my CJ buggy sir. It looks like I spilled a bowl of spaghetti under the hood.
Wait until you take a computerized Jeep engine and put it in a car from years before and merge the wiring harnesses - and make it for show.

The wiring in the pic above reminds me of when I was an electrician for Principal Financial Group. If you didn't make it logical, traceable, able to do easy troubleshooting, you caught heck. Their wiring closets had hundreds of network, phone and other connections coming into each one.
Then when I got to working for the state - good grief, what people had done to the server racks and network closets.
Neatness counts - except for spark plug wires on older engines. (not a joke)

I absolutely love electrical work, automotive wiring and electric, especially.

OP
OP
TMGladOverHighAlt

TMGladOverHighAlt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland High Altitude
Occupation
Retired USCG
Me too. Until my eyesight made me wear glasses and my neck was shot. Then, not so much. Now I do solar systems for friends and anything else for fun. šŸ˜

Remember guys, long term lousy neck positioning and awkward body placements for hours, eventually take their tole on you. šŸ˜‰

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
So as cool as it is to have it from the factory, itā€™s not a great solution. The factory inverter uses a modified sine wave vs pure sine.

I was hoping it could power my starlink equipment when I am overlanding, the starlink equipment pulls 35w-60w and is well under the 400w max, but it will not power it up. It does make the equipment buzz which is how I sorted out itā€™s a modulated sine vs pure sine.

I ended up getting a small Jackery 290 to power the starlink equipment.

Modified sine inverters do function for most devices but are very hard on sensitive electronics.

Last edited:

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
If you have the AUX switches, you could always add in a larger inverter than the factory one.

You could get a Renogy 2kW pure sine for ~$400... Use aux switch to control relay to supply power, and mount the inverter under the back seat...

Sponsored

OP
OP
TMGladOverHighAlt

TMGladOverHighAlt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USCG
Iā€™m gonna check my refer owners manual to see which waveform mine will allow.

Thanks for the heads up!

UPDATEā€”- My manual says nothing about it. So I am trying mine on a . So far, no power supply issues are heard. So, Iā€™d have to guess the system in the Gladiator might be ok.

OP
OP
TMGladOverHighAlt

TMGladOverHighAlt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USCG
Yup, adding one is not difficult. Just like factory integration better.

Mball488

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
So I have a question. The guy who I sold my old wheels and Tires to has a HA edition. On the back of his console there was a plate where my plug outlet is on my JRT. He is thinking about installing the components for a bed outlet as well. When he got some and pulled the blank plate from inside his HA there was a wire and connector for an outlet. Does this mean he has to just buy the plug? or is there an inverter that wasn't installed and that's why he got a blank plate?

Jt06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
So I have a question. The guy who I sold my old wheels and Tires to has a HA edition. On the back of his console there was a plate where my plug outlet is on my JRT. He is thinking about installing the components for a bed outlet as well. When he got some and pulled the blank plate from inside his HA there was a wire and connector for an outlet. Does this mean he has to just buy the plug? or is there an inverter that wasn't installed and that's why he got a blank plate?
Did you ever figure this out? Have the same plate and wires on mine. Was a factory deleted item off the lot.

HankB

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport, Porsche Panamera 4S
Occupation
Retired
So, for sure, they are never going to be available again?

I'm a tech by trade....when I have parts.

Just hoping there was a list out there.

Here is some of my work..

IMG_0273 (1).jpg
If you can do that, you can install an inverter. E120 and DSM300, thatā€™s vintage stuff. We have a Magnum Research 3.5 kw on our boat, and something like that would probably fit under the rear seat, but you would have to add two 4D batteries to power anything. I think either Mastervolt or Promariner make smaller inverters that tap into starting battery systems, although Iā€™d be concerned about the impact of deep discharge cycling on a starting battery.

OP
OP
TMGladOverHighAlt

TMGladOverHighAlt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USCG
I can do a lot, but 400w is really all I would need for the kinds of things that I/family will use.

I want factory.
Sponsored