Sponsored

off road plus

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Given that OR+ changes throttle response, does anyone have any experience using it in tandem with a throttle controller, like Banks?

I've got one in the mail, will post feedback in a week or so.
Sponsored

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Probably through the tazer menus, if it's possible.
Exactly. Other taser functions can only be used with a button remap, like Trail Turn Assist. Basically, from what I can see, most every individual function included in the off road plus mode is already 'included' in some form in other taser modes (like the locker enabler in 2wd, traction control kill, winch mode (raises engine idle)), well maybe except for transmission shift point alterations.

It would just seem odd if Offroad plus is part of some sort of additional hardware/module and it also would be odd if there were different computer software between trims (versus just certain features not enabled).

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I know the Off Road + button and modes are on the Rubicon and Mojave, so all the Sport and Overland derived trims don't have it. Question is can this mode not be 'enabled'?

I do not see it as an option with the Taser Mini, but would expect this would be something that could be done. It is not any additional hardware, just software/programing which I would expect is already in the Jeep's computer just hidden.
I think it is more than just a program, it is a chip. In the base models you have to use your phones chip to power the mapping etc.

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
I think it is more than just a program, it is a chip. In the base models you have to use your phones chip to power the mapping etc.
If it is a chip, that could make sense. But then, I wonder if it could be added aftermarket - is there a part number?

MojaveMat

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
so does offroad+ in auto 4x4 give you the best of both worlds offroad+ H and L? Or is it completely different?

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I use off road plus every time Iā€™m on a trail. Itā€™s fantastic at making shift points and throttle response more appropriate for off road driving. I use it in 4L and 4H. It helps in both gears. I notice when itā€™s not turned on accidentally. Less control in my opinion.

DukeJeep

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Toyota FJ
I attended a Jeep Adventure Academy class and trail runs yesterday. They didnā€™t go into it in 4 H, but said it smooths out the surges an shifts when in 4 L, and extends the shift points to higher rpms, giving more control when climbing.

I used it off and on throughout the trails. I did like it in certain situations, steep rocky grades, 2+ feet of water, etc. I especially liked the longer shifts when in manual mode (I have an automatic), specifically in 2nd gear.

One of the other items discussed on here was the hill decent control, where the manual shifting in an automatic increments by .6 mph starting in first ā€œgear.ā€ I did like that at times, sometimes great, other times annoying as heck, but you can switch it off when using it. It comes with a few groans and you can smell the brakes a bit, but we were told that was normal.

Daa03c

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2022
Occupation
Healthcare
So I was playing around with this button today. I have a 2022 gladiator rubicon manual. This is what I noticed from a practical perspective. In 4l it smooths out the throttle response. In other words. Whenever the truck starts jerking, your body moves too and those motions are transmitted to the gas pedal which makes the jerking worse and control harder specially crawling in the first couple of gears. Off road plus seems to smooth out the throttle response. In 4H it seems to increase throttle response. I was driving at 40mph in 4h did not change any thing just pushed the button and the truck turned up acceleration just a notch. It obviously does not affect shift points in a manual. Also there are two ā€œtraction thingsā€ there is traction and stability control. Still donā€™t really fully understand the difference between the two but traction control turns off with the off road plus, stability does not, itā€™s a more complicated safety feature . If you want to turn off stability you have to press and hold the traction off button for 5 seconds. The way I saw stability control described is the computer will control multiple factors ( throttle, independent wheel breaking sometimes even steering) to make the vehicle do what the driver intends when it appears (to the computer) the vehicle is going out of control. It also said never turn off on public streets.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
So I was playing around with this button today. I have a 2022 gladiator rubicon manual. This is what I noticed from a practical perspective. In 4l it smooths out the throttle response. In other words. Whenever the truck starts jerking, your body moves too and those motions are transmitted to the gas pedal which makes the jerking worse and control harder specially crawling in the first couple of gears. Off road plus seems to smooth out the throttle response. In 4H it seems to increase throttle response. I was driving at 40mph in 4h did not change any thing just pushed the button and the truck turned up acceleration just a notch. It obviously does not affect shift points in a manual. Also there are two ā€œtraction thingsā€ there is traction and stability control. Still donā€™t really fully understand the difference between the two but traction control turns off with the off road plus, stability does not, itā€™s a more complicated safety feature . If you want to turn off stability you have to press and hold the traction off button for 5 seconds. The way I saw stability control described is the computer will control multiple factors ( throttle, independent wheel breaking sometimes even steering) to make the vehicle do what the driver intends when it appears (to the computer) the vehicle is going out of control. It also said never turn off on public streets.
I also have a manual and used it a couple of months ago on a trail ride for the first time.

Question for you @Daa03c: did you do any decents in 4LO where you where 100% reliant on engine braking? I had an issue when I was about 1/2 way down a hill and all of the sudden my RPMs jumped and the JT started freewheeling down the hill, almost like I had applied the clutch. I had to get on the brakes (which was a little unnerving on this particular decent) and then the RPM's settled back down and the engine braking worked again.

I had a JL manual before this (without OR+) and never experienced this. Wasn't sure if it was related to OR+ or just some gremlin...

Check out this video, about 0:30 in you can hear the RPM's jump and I start accelerating toward the rig in front of me:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DoEQTCbNjf5Qgjpm7

Daa03c

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2022
Occupation
Healthcare
Weird. I have not tried going down hill with the off road plus. Iā€™ll try today and get back to you.

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I have off-road - (minus) in mine. I am one with the machineā€¦lol
Iā€™m not sure the descent / ascent control work with a manual or even if you have the button. In the automatics, you move the gear shift over to manual mode. It starts off at 0.6mph and then you bump the stick it will move op or down in 0.6mph increments. Pretty cool actually. Definitely a help to ensure you done lock up going down hill if youā€™re not proficient at throttle modulation.

Daa03c

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon 2022
Occupation
Healthcare
Went down a paved hill, pretty steep, in 4L with OR+ in 1, 2nd and 3rd gear did not experience the rev up phenomenon. Not sure what that was.

Dropzonemedic

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave, 2016 Chevy Cruze
Occupation
Retired army
INFO FROM: https://www.jeep.com/gladiator/capability.html

ADVANCED CAPABILITY WITH OFF-ROAD+

Fine-tune your adventure with Off-Road+. With a push of the button, you can adjust throttle, transmission shift points and traction control for peak performance on higher speed passes on sand dunes or low-speed rock crawling.
This is my first time posting anywhere on this forum so forgive me if thereā€™s newcomers page, but thank you for this link! I just bought a 23 JT Mojave 2 weeks ago and going from a JKU to a gladiator was technically a beast!

marsbars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Hill descent does make funny noises as the brakes modulate.
Yes it does. However being able to tune the speed you're descending a steep narrow slippery trail with tons of obstacles is a really useful feature
Sponsored