Sponsored

OMG the I4 sucks so bad.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Driving around Sedona AZ in a JLUR I4 etorque thingamajig. Once going the manners are fine. But compared to the V6 there's so much lag off the line. Driven too many German I4 from VW to Audi to BMW to ever want that kind of experience in a Jeep. There's SO much lag off the line. Then it hits.

Really dislike the town behavior. Highway is fine but in town is suxxors. Had the top off and my kid actually asked "is someone running a leaf blower next to us this whole time?!". He's 9 and has no idea what's what with engines and that was his honest question.

No thank you, V6 or V8
Sponsored

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
LMAO, I'm in Orlando, we'll just moved to Ocala and I thought you were going to rant about the I-4 interstate! I do hate that road, it's getting better but damn that road. And apparently my disdain for the I-4 road is equal to the Jeep I4. Lol.

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I'm just glad my tenure with this is limited to days not years. Between the turbo and etorque assist, wouldn't want to own or drive this thing long term.

The Pentastar isn't world beating by any means but it's significantly smoother even if less power. Power via turbo lag isn't worth a damn to me.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
...and you thought a I-4 was going to be good in a heavy truck/SUV platform?

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
...and you thought a I-4 was going to be good in a heavy truck/SUV platform?
Well no. I never expected that or anything. I never even considered the I4 until it showed up in my rental. Then I was forced to consider it and its way to much turbo lag to be desirable around town.

Someone somewhere out there will love this thing and that's fine but it ain't me.

Sponsored

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
LMAO, I'm in Orlando, we'll just moved to Ocala and I thought you were going to rant about the I-4 interstate! I do hate that road, it's getting better but damn that road. And apparently my disdain for the I-4 road is equal to the Jeep I4. Lol.
DeLand here.

I love I-4. I lived in the DC suburbs for 10+ years and dealt with a city full of transplants and their combination of driving fear (snow, rain, the sun(!)) plus their constant cell-phone usage. Commutes took forever. People on I-4 move. You might wonder whether that makes them crash more. Yes, yes it does :) But as long as you're not the crasher or crashee then you can actually maintain some semblance of speed in less than a 100th percentile road condition environment.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
That turbo thing? Sucks! Wouldn't wish it on anyone. I dove a soft top while mine was in the shop for a couple days. Got rid of that noise maker. Then they gave me the underpowered 3.6 Gladiator. Almost as bad but at least you t had the hardtop. Wouldn't trade my Ecodiesel on either. The gasser would kick down into 6 just going up overpasses. My Ecodiesel barely even kicks down going from 4100' to over 7200'. Love it.

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
That turbo thing? Sucks! Wouldn't wish it on anyone. I dove a soft top while mine was in the shop for a couple days. Got rid of that noise maker. Then they gave me the underpowered 3.6 Gladiator. Almost as bad but at least you t had the hardtop. Wouldn't trade my Ecodiesel on either. The gasser would kick down into 6 just going up overpasses. My Ecodiesel barely even kicks down going from 4100' to over 7200'. Love it.
Diesel is fine until it overheats and goes Chernobyl.

Against the I4 the V6 isn't going to produce as much torque on paper but it's still a significantly better choice in real life IMO. The I4 is the worst engine choice on the options.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Since when is the 4-cylinder available in the Gladiator?
This is, after all, a Gladiator forum…

Kevin
True, thank you, but we are getting some real good feedback before FCA drops an I-4 on us ( while we all wait for an affordable 5.7). The court will allow it!

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
We have the 2.0L in the wife's JLUR and love it. It will run circles around my 3.6L, though I would have opted for the V8 in the Gladiator if offered.
Oh I bet the I4 is quicker but it doesn't drive nearly as well and the 48v etorque motor really is annoying esp with the cabin open. Sounds like an RC car.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
I knew when he put “the” in front of I4 he had to be talking about something else. Had a friend move from S Cal where apparently they have “The 5” and he started calling I-4 “The 4.” Told him if he didn’t want to sound like an out of towner to call it “I-4.”

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I knew when he put “the” in front of I4 he had to be talking about something else. Had a friend move from S Cal where apparently they have “The 5” and he started calling I-4 “The 4.” Told him if he didn’t want to sound like an out of towner to call it “I-4.”
That s a very So. Cal thing. All of our freeways had names before they became interstates and it stuck. They don't even do it in No. Cal. I correct those northerners when they are asking directions.
Sponsored