Sponsored

One thing that sucks about my jeep......slammed doors!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is because these cars lower the window a small amount as the door is about to close and then raise it again once it is latched. If for whatever reason it isn't able to, there is too much air pressure inside the car for the door to latch. I've owned several cars now that do this.
My friend's last Mercedes did not do that - but it warned you if it thought you were not fully awake. The BMW a neighbor had (just found out he died, fell off scaffolding or had a heart attack and fell) his didn't do that. But I've not seen every model, every brand, every year....
Obviously it's not uncommon as several have spoken up having owned cars that did that very thing. It's cool, they built a tight, solid vehicle with parts that fit well, seal well and found a way to avoid a problem due to the tight fitment of parts.
IMO, you make the case that there's no need to slam a luxury car door, heavy or not, they are engineered to close nicely, easily, completely, without issue.
Would you want a high-end luxury car (not a great term -call it high end, well-engineered, well built) that you had to slam the doors? I guess that's more my point. They engineer them for attorneys, people perhaps who demand the very best, maybe can better afford the very best, including ladies, people in their 60s, whatever - can you see a 70 year old female Senator having to slam a door? "get this thing fixed" would be the comment.

OK, in summary, my whole point is that there's no need to slam the door of a high-end well-built, well-engineered German car, heavy doors or not. They are made to close easily, nicely, so the woman has no excuse for slamming - other than maybe she was used to cheaply made American cars from the 80s and 90s LOL
Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Actually, it's not so much she has to slam the doors but she's so used to the heavy heft of the German steel door that she doesn't modulate for a light flimsy fiberglass door. Then again, maybe she was mad at me and I didn't register.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I think this is because these cars lower the window a small amount as the door is about to close and then raise it again once it is latched. If for whatever reason it isn't able to, there is too much air pressure inside the car for the door to latch. I've owned several cars now that do this.
Wranglers and Gladiators have a one-way vent in the back which lets air out. It lets out door closing pressure, and allows flow through the cab for air conditioning. On a JK/JL it's behind the tire, on the JT it's just a vent in the back of the cab (they look the same).

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 74 T-bird I think those doors weighed close to what my JT weighs.
If not just the drivetrain alone. Mine had a 429 w barrel carb not a good thing for MPG but neither was my other one with a 350 w 4 barrel carb. Both was stupid fast and drank to much gas. My 72 T-bird was my last "car"

I've subconsciously trained myself to keep my door open until everyone else's is shut - then I shut mine nice and easy. On a side note...I took my front doors off last summer and the new hinge brackets that have to be unbolted on the inside of the cab retracted into my door. I can't get those suckers back out so I've just been dealing with having the doors bounce off of me every time I get I'm and out.
So many of us pre JK,JL owners know :like: damn check arms wore out on MJ's and XJ's too. The surprise to me is how dang light the doors are and stay open.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
Mine did the exact same thing and when I gave her $hit for it she got mad at me and said, 'it's not going to break anything'. I literally thought she would shatter the glass (window was rolled down) she slammed it so hard.
Constant battle here

Sponsored

ShirtlessCubsFan

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GLI, 2020 Mercedes GLB, 2022 Mojave
Occupation
Systems Engineer
One of my general vehicle pet peeves is people slamming doors. They shut with greater success by following through with a moderate push or pull than they do being slammed. It's excessively noisy and expedites the onset of rattles, squeaks, and general looseness of parts. The force some people use to shut their car doors is just insane.

My wife and I are on the same page as far as this goes, and we've taught our kids to only use as much force as required to shut a door, even if that means you have to try a few times until you get a feel for it. This applies to car doors, bedroom doors, and even microwave doors. Any slammed door irritates the hell out of me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Or put her in the back, close the tailgate gently, and tell her she rides back there until she learns to use the doors properly.
My wife grew up in farm land with old pickups - she grew up riding in the back of trucks and would likely be fine - unless it was really cold outside.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
One of my general vehicle pet peeves is people slamming doors. They shut with greater success by following through with a moderate push or pull than they do being slammed. It's excessively noisy and expedites the onset of rattles, squeaks, and general looseness of parts. The force some people use to shut their car doors is just insane.

My wife and I are on the same page as far as this goes, and we've taught our kids to only use as much force as required to shut a door, even if that means you have to try a few times until you get a feel for it. This applies to car doors, bedroom doors, and even microwave doors. Any slammed door irritates the hell out of me.
Completely agree with your thinking on this. We differ on being a fan of shirtless baseball players though.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
My wife grew up in farm land with old pickups - she grew up riding in the back of trucks and would likely be fine - unless it was really cold outside.
Don't forget to add in "just like the heifers" as you slap her butt into the bed. Get video.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget to add in "just like the heifers" as you slap her butt into the bed. Get video.
Sorry, she's got a hell of a left hook.

Rubijeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT Rubicon
Install those soft closing dampers, just like the kitchen cabinets.

No more door slamming!

bl1ndman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JTR EcoDiesel
The doors on my truck are super tight, it takes a little bit of force, but the mechanism that holds the doors open is pretty stiff, so people usually slam the door to hard.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Really? I find the device not as stout as those on my cars which have real coil springs pushing against a cam plate on a roller. A good wind won't blow my car doors closed - but the jeep, wimpy door mechanism holding them open.
Sponsored