Sponsored

One thing that sucks about my jeep......slammed doors!

OP
OP
jebsurf

jebsurf

First Name
jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 twin turbo explorer sport
You know....we might be on to something here fellas. I have a soft top and compression of the cabin air on a soft top vs a hard top makes complete sense! On hard top you will have no flex for the air, but on a soft top you have plenty of flex for the cabin air to go somewhere. I never thought about that before.

Crazy for sure and never thought about that
Sponsored

Pescado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Same here....always telling my wife "go easy"

I was showing the JT to a coworker when I first got it and he said "let me see how these doors sound" and slammed the shit out of it...he was impressed and I was pissed

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You know....we might be on to something here fellas. I have a soft top and compression of the cabin air on a soft top vs a hard top makes complete sense! On hard top you will have no flex for the air, but on a soft top you have plenty of flex for the cabin air to go somewhere. I never thought about that before.

Crazy for sure and never thought about that
Big difference with a window rolled down or the back window open. Very different sound and yeah, the doors close so easy it's easy to slam them then - but I park with windows up almost all the time, even in the garage because otherwise wasps and other stuff get in.

Last edited:

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Yep, happens to me too! Doors are always getting slammed.

Also, the soft top pressure thing making the doors harder to shut is 100% a thing, my old Wrangler with the soft top was the same way. I had to shut the doors extra firmly to make sure they shut all the way.

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
See then there is me... And as Dad joke as it is EVERYTIME someone new gets in my jeep (its been naked for a while) I abruptly yell "HEY, quit slamming my $%&@ing doors".. Everyone has given me a embarrassed sorry look at first & then realized there are no doors to slam.

I do think I need to put the doors back on soon. Its starting to get chilly & while it doesn't bother me much both my girlfriend & daughter have been complaining quite a bit. I never noticed anyone slamming them before though.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
This issue has caused more "disputes" with my wife than I can count across 7 years of JK and almost a year of JT with alternating tops on both. The key I think is that it's not a big heavy solid car door... keep your hand on the handle of the door the whole time and it will close just fine regardless of backpressure or hard/soft top. It is the "momentum slam" that causes problems.

Ringmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
The key I think is that it's not a big heavy solid car door... keep your hand on the handle of the door the whole time and it will close just fine regardless of backpressure or hard/soft top. It is the "momentum slam" that causes problems.

My Dad was a "car guy" and taught me to close the car doors this way since I was a youngster. Now if we can just educate others to do the same.........

Slyboots2313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Happens all the time in mine. I think they’re all used to having to slam the doors on the JK all those years. The new hinge arm (whatever its technical term is) pretty much shuts the door on its own in the JT

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Mine did the exact same thing and when I gave her $hit for it she got mad at me and said, 'it's not going to break anything'. I literally thought she would shatter the glass (window was rolled down) she slammed it so hard.
Women must always have the last word. It is why the chatter never ends and the conversation does not stay on subject.

Sponsored

Warman

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2011King Ranch F-350 for 2020 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate
Agree on the not slamming part but the sound of a properly shut door is so substantial. It’s more authoritative than my F-350.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
I have trained my wife to "push" the doors closed, rather than "slam" them. When you slam them they tend to rebound and it makes them more difficult to latch. But, if you keep moderate pressure on them as you close them you don't have to be as forceful on them!

1OffCraz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have to tell my wife not to slam the door every time!

Problem solved... I removed the doors.
But I still tell not to slam it. That gets a one finger salute every time. But no slammed door

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Slamming doors is something that will always piss me off. It started with my first vehicle.. that had power locking doors. Someone slammed door shut broke the door latch inside door and power lock. Had to disassemble door with shut to be able to open it and fix it. Nothing special about that 10 year old car but I tried to take care of it. That started me down the road for getting pissed off about slamming doors. My second car I owned that you had to slam the door on 72 T-bird.
Sponsored