be warned ...if you have addiction issues this is Not the vehicle for you
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am wringing my hands and close to pulling the trigger on a Gladiator.

The biggest negative is that its a Chrysler product. If the Jeep was made by a Japanese company I'd already own one.

I've owned Volvos and Japanese cars. All have been fantastic. (knock wood). I just checked my logbook and my 02 Volvo V70 has been in for unscheduled repairs exactly TWICE. With 164k miles.

Once with a torn CVJ boot (my fault). And once with a blown Voltage regulator that required me to limp on the shoulder for 3 miles to get off the highway before having it flat bedded home so I could change the alternator.

I've had a couple of more minor problems like a flakey drivers window switch which I didn't bother to bring the car in for. I had it repaired at the nexts oil change.

The last Japanese cars, a Subaru STI and Mazda Miata required no repairs in the time I owned them other than a visit to the dealer to try to find the source of a rattle in the first month of ownership.

But the Jeep (and Bronco will when you can actually get one) offer a unique experience. And hopefully lots of fun.

If I do get a Gladiator it will be with greatly reduced expectations as far as dealership quality and reliability. And that is what I'm struggling with now.

Jas504

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland

The biggest negative is that its a Chrysler product. If the Jeep was made by a Japanese company I'd already own one.

I've owned Volvos and Japanese cars. All have been fantastic. (knock wood). I just checked my logbook and my 02 Volvo V70 has been in for unscheduled repairs exactly TWICE. With 164k miles.

Once with a torn CVJ boot (my fault). And once with a blown Voltage regulator that required me to limp on the shoulder for 3 miles to get off the highway before having it flat bedded home so I could change the alternator.

I've had a couple of more minor problems like a flakey drivers window switch which I didn't bother to bring the car in for. I had it repaired at the nexts oil change.

The last Japanese cars, a Subaru STI and Mazda Miata required no repairs in the time I owned them other than a visit to the dealer to try to find the source of a rattle in the first month of ownership.

But the Jeep (and Bronco will when you can actually get one) offer a unique experience. And hopefully lots of fun.

If I do get a Gladiator it will be with greatly reduced expectations as far as dealership quality and reliability. And that is what I'm struggling with now.
I used to think the same thing.
2 weeks ago my neighbor traded in his 2018 Honda accord. It was constantly in the shop with electrical issues.
As far as the Gladiator (Chrysler) goes, my buddy has a fleet of dodge pickups for his company. They have no more or less problems then Ford or Chevrolet.
Get the Gladiator...you'll love it.

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator

Personally, I do believe some Japanese cars are better than US machines but I will say not all. I have had very good luck with Jeep's in the past. They easily reach 150-200k miles if taken care of. My brothers JK is close to 180k miles +. As far as other american brands? My 04 Navigator has 192k miles, my fathers 03 Expedition has 186k miles. My last Escalade I sold with 150k miles. All were VERY reliable! But for motorcycles, the Japanese make a great product!

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't necessarily think the Japanese cars last longer. I believe that their quality is more consistent. You are less likely to get a "bad one".

You never hear normal (not enthusiast tuners) Honda owners say "This one is a good one, but my last one was trouble, I needed a new engine at 15k and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and it threw 50 DTCs".
Sponsored