First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Occupation
Na
I have been patiently waiting to pull the trigger on an Rubicon EcoDiesel Jt and get back on the rocks. I was hoping some of you fine jeepers might be able to help me weigh my options when it comes to what I should add to the window sticker.

What options are must have from the dealer? I know certain options like proximity entry and remote starts are better to buy with the truck. I have also looked around the forum and found other options, i.e. headliners (hot head) and auxiliary switches (amazon?) that are either a bit less expensive or function better that the jeep factory add-ons.

I would really appreciate the your opinion based off your experiences and what you have seen on the forum.

**bonus points if you can recommend a dealer willing to discount this endeavor. I am located in SD but willing to travel for the right price!
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just my $.02 is go for the OEM Auxiliary switch's it will give you a "keyed" aux hot wire in cab besides the 4 switch's and no need to run wires. A "easy button" thing for lights and other 12 v accessories.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Line-x bedliner unless you like the factory option. OEM aux switch bank because it’s a PITA to wire everything. OEM towing package. Hotheads headliner. Don’t upgrade your rock rails to a Mopar option unless you just like the looks, there are plenty of options for rock rail or step bars. Don’t upgrade wheels if you plan to go aftermarket. Mopar slush mats? There are other options. Don’t upgrade the tonneau if you pick an option that requires it unless you like the Mopar option. LED package is solid, but there are options (Oracle). If you want leather you can always have a Katzkin installer do any color on the market besides the Black and Tan the factory offers; get a perforated model if you want to do AC in the seats (I have seen a mod for that). Keyless entry is nice to have and a lot of people on the JL forum have done retrofits later because the one they bought didn’t have it.

OP
OP

KAExcaliber

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Occupation
Na
Just my $.02 is go for the OEM Auxiliary switch's it will give you a "keyed" aux hot wire in cab besides the 4 switch's and no need to run wires. A "easy button" thing for lights and other 12 v accessories.
What do you mean by "keyed" aux wire?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The problem with answering this is that most people haven't done both. Folks who bought the factory options will mostly not have experience with the aftermarket options, and vice versa. I will say that the factory headliners are very nice, but I don't have experience with the hot heads. The factory spray in bedliner also seems to be very nice, but again, I don't have experience with line x or rhino liner.

Sponsored

OP
OP

KAExcaliber

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Occupation
Na
Line-x bedliner unless you like the factory option. OEM aux switch bank because it’s a PITA to wire everything. OEM towing package. Hotheads headliner. Don’t upgrade your rock rails to a Mopar option unless you just like the looks, there are plenty of options for rock rail or step bars. Don’t upgrade wheels if you plan to go aftermarket. Mopar slush mats? There are other options. Don’t upgrade the tonneau if you pick an option that requires it unless you like the Mopar option. LED package is solid, but there are options (Oracle). If you want leather you can always have a Katzkin installer do any color on the market besides the Black and Tan the factory offers; get a perforated model if you want to do AC in the seats (I have seen a mod for that). Keyless entry is nice to have and a lot of people on the JL forum have done retrofits later because the one they bought didn’t have it.
I haven't really noticed or thought about the difference in the bed-liners. Correct me if I am wrong but it seemed like the spray on bed-liner was about the same cost from the dealer as it would be from anywhere else?

-Hotheads seems like the way to go.
-Def not upgrading the factory wheels; hoping to sell those right away.
-I went with the mats in my Jk and they were a lifesaver. Doesn't matter which mats go in there as long as they are there lol. Anyone remember what the next best/ or better options would be?
-I do want a bed cover; not sure about other options yet.
-I will look into oracle and katzkin, thank you.
-

OP
OP

KAExcaliber

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Occupation
Na
The problem with answering this is that most people haven't done both. Folks who bought the factory options will mostly not have experience with the aftermarket options, and vice versa. I will say that the factory headliners are very nice, but I don't have experience with the hot heads.
Fair enough. I figured people may have taken note of new products and compared them against what they have or what they could have had. I was hoping there might have been a few clear winners in each option when trying to get the best bang for your buck!

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't really noticed or thought about the difference in the bed-liners. Correct me if I am wrong but it seemed like the spray on bed-liner was about the same cost from the dealer as it would be from anywhere else?
If you want a bedliner, I'd go factory if it's available still, simply because there's a shortage on materials for bedliners right now, and it might be a few months before you can get one. I was going to have my hardtop line x'd. The shop said it would be August before they could do it. But then, whoever does Jeeps factory bedliner will eventually see this same shortage, so maybe that's a wash?

AverageDad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
VP of Operations
If you want a bedliner, I'd go factory if it's available still, simply because there's a shortage on materials for bedliners right now, and it might be a few months before you can get one. I was going to have my hardtop line x'd. The shop said it would be August before they could do it. But then, whoever does Jeeps factory bedliner will eventually see this same shortage, so maybe that's a wash?
I just did an aftermarket bedliner with no delays. Line-X wouldn’t even return my calls. Rhino liner isn’t in my town. I went with Bulletliner and it was scheduled for 2 days after my call - and I love it. They did a great job. But, it was $550, so you aren’t saving any money VS the factory liner.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
The other factor to take into account with aftermarket spray liner, is downtime. If convenience is a factor, get it sprayed from the factory, otherwise you will be without your JT for a few days.

Sponsored

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
What do you mean by "keyed" aux wire?
Means it will shut off when you turn the Jeep off, rather than being "hot" all the time. Helps prevent leaving the lights on (or whatever you have it wired to).

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
The easiest answer is "it depends."

Right now, buying aftermarket items sucks. High demand, low supply, supply chain issues, delivery costs, etc.

There is something to be said for having the JT come with most everything you need/want. But I'm sort of handy and don't mind putting things together or installing stuff. So I balk at a $1200 rack when I can buy one for just more than half and install it myself. It all depends on the cost of my time.

$400 for the tow package? Done. Can't buy the parts/tools for that cheap. And who really wants to install an alternator?

Now that nearly everything is done, the only thing I would do different is have the Aux switches. I did a 6-switch aftermarket, which doesn't look as neat/clean as the stock switches. I did gain 2 switches, and it's labeled rather than Aux1 Aux2, etc.

The last things I'm looking at doing are the hide-a-steps (an aftermarket rock rail w/ integrated steps would be nice) and likely a better seat cover. Currently have a $20 Costco one-size-fits-none cover that is pretty underwhelming.

OP
OP

KAExcaliber

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Occupation
Na
Means it will shut off when you turn the Jeep off, rather than being "hot" all the time. Helps prevent leaving the lights on (or whatever you have it wired to).
That's good to know. While it isn't much to turn the jeep on, there may be options that I want on without running the engine.

OP
OP

KAExcaliber

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
Occupation
Na
The easiest answer is "it depends."

Right now, buying aftermarket items sucks. High demand, low supply, supply chain issues, delivery costs, etc.

There is something to be said for having the JT come with most everything you need/want. But I'm sort of handy and don't mind putting things together or installing stuff. So I balk at a $1200 rack when I can buy one for just more than half and install it myself. It all depends on the cost of my time.

$400 for the tow package? Done. Can't buy the parts/tools for that cheap. And who really wants to install an alternator?

Now that nearly everything is done, the only thing I would do different is have the Aux switches. I did a 6-switch aftermarket, which doesn't look as neat/clean as the stock switches. I did gain 2 switches, and it's labeled rather than Aux1 Aux2, etc.

The last things I'm looking at doing are the hide-a-steps (an aftermarket rock rail w/ integrated steps would be nice) and likely a better seat cover. Currently have a $20 Costco one-size-fits-none cover that is pretty underwhelming.
I am all about getting my hands dirty. Just trying to see if it the products are good enough to put the work in or if it will save any money. Aftermarket front facing camera options look like they could save a few hundred bucks...

Definitely doing the tow package. Which aux option did you go with? I think i was considering something similar, if not the same one.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aftermarket front facing camera options look like they could save a few hundred bucks...
Even if you want to install your own front facing camera, you need to get the 8.4 inch screen. I got the 7 inch thinking the same as you, that I would do it myself. Well, there's no front camera input on the 7 inch screen. So I'll need to find an aftermarket head unit if I decide to get a trail cam.
Sponsored