Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The electronic temperature gauge doesn't move in a linear fashion like an analog gauge. It has some preset positions that it will indicate. The, "Normal," one is just below ½-scale, and it'll sit there with temperatures as high as 230ºF (you can watch the coolant temperature reading to verify.)

Kevin
I watched mine do that - during the Colorado Springs trip I wanted to keep an eye on things and had the off-road gauges up on the screen. Coolant got up to 230 for a brief time and the gauge in the cluster never moved off center position.
It's a "go/no-go" gauge at best.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
I watched mine do that - during the Colorado Springs trip I wanted to keep an eye on things and had the off-road gauges up on the screen. Coolant got up to 230 for a brief time and the gauge in the cluster never moved off center position.
It's a "go/no-go" gauge at best.
I have a FIXD fob I usually plugged into the ODB to keep an eye on everything and record it all on my phone in case something happens, but of course I took it out for service so it wouldn’t get lost and forgot to put it back in. 🤬

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Don't have a temp. Was climbing a grade for about 10 miles with 4,000lb trailer at a steady 3.5-4K RPM in 3rd gear (5 south through Gorman) and no indication of trouble. Temp steady at just below half-way like it always was. After cresting the hill, it popped up to about 3/4, then back to normal, then quickly pegged. Immediately let it coast to safe turnout and let it idle and temp back to normal. Moved again to the off ramp and immediately pegged again. Once I got to a place it was safe to check coolant level, noticed right away the reservoir was empty and steaming with the cap sitting neatly upside-down in it's service holder on top of the bottle.
Put a little water in it and was bubbling for a little while. Kept adding more, idled a bit to settle, added some more, and repeated until back to fill line. Temp back to normal and no further issue.
OK, so everyone knows, the display that has your tire pressures. If you push left and right on the steering wheel controls on that page, you get, Coolant Temp, Oil Temp, and some others. In the future if something like that happens, or if you are towing, I would change that display to show what those temps are.

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, so everyone knows, the display that has your tire pressures. If you push left and right on the steering wheel controls on that page, you get, Coolant Temp, Oil Temp, and some others. In the future if something like that happens, or if you are towing, I would change that display to show what those temps are.
Totally forgot about that!

Sponsored

OP
OP
RiverMtnBeach

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Huh, so the water level went down overnight and went to add more. When filling the reservoir I noticed a drip out of the bottom, but only when I’m filling it. What’s that all about?
I’m starting to think the fluid may have leaked a little and the tech meant to top it up or look into it and simply forgot. I’ll ask about that because it seemed strange they would remove the coolant cap for an oil change unless they intended to add water or something. If that’s the case, really annoyed the cap was not only left off, but that they found a potential problem but didn’t inform me.

Last edited:

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Huh, so the water level went down overnight and went to add more. When filling the reservoir I noticed a drip out of the bottom, but only when I’m filling it. What’s that all about?
I’m starting to think the fluid may have leaked a little and the tech meant to top it up or look into it and simply forgot. I’ll ask about that because it seemed strange they would remove the coolant cap for an oil change unless they intended to add water or something. If that’s the case, really annoyed the cap was not only left off, but that they found a potential problem but didn’t inform me.
Hi, RiverMtnBeach. If you'd like some extra assistance here and to discuss further, please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored