Sponsored

Overland Tow Capacity with Trailer-Tow Package?

Shane1630

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Military
Hey everyone! I can't seem to find an "official" answer other than a couple of websites that aren't official Jeep websites. I read in a couple of places that the Overland model with the 8-speed automatic can tow 6,000lbs. I understand the manual is limited to 4,500lbs and the max tow package is 7,650lbs.

I purchased the Overland with the 8-speed auto tranny, trailer tow package that has the larger alternator, class-IV hitch, heavy duty cooling and the zoom function on the backup cam. Am I still able to tow 6,000lbs even though I still have to 3.73 gears? The manual only states between standard and max tow package? Really need to know this info as I'm planning to tow my wife's car from AZ to AK, 3,500 miles. Thanks in adavance.
Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Hey everyone! I can't seem to find an "official" answer other than a couple of websites that aren't official Jeep websites. I read in a couple of places that the Overland model with the 8-speed automatic can tow 6,000lbs. I understand the manual is limited to 4,500lbs and the max tow package is 7,650lbs.

I purchased the Overland with the 8-speed auto tranny, trailer tow package that has the larger alternator, class-IV hitch, heavy duty cooling and the zoom function on the backup cam. Am I still able to tow 6,000lbs even though I still have to 3.73 gears? The manual only states between standard and max tow package? Really need to know this info as I'm planning to tow my wife's car from AZ to AK, 3,500 miles. Thanks in adavance.
Should have a sticker on your door jam that shows the tow rating but it should be 6k

OP
OP
Shane1630

Shane1630

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Military
Should have a sticker on your door jam that shows the tow rating but it should be 6k
The stickers only have GVWR and GAWR info and tire pressure info. Doesn’t have any info on towing capacities. That’s why I’m curious.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
The stickers only have GVWR and GAWR info and tire pressure info. Doesn’t have any info on towing capacities. That’s why I’m curious.
If it has the regular tow package with 3.73 gears it should have 6k just like the sport s with regular tow package with 3.73.

mmulroy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland

I purchased the Overland with the 8-speed auto tranny, trailer tow package that has the larger alternator, class-IV hitch, heavy duty cooling and the zoom function on the backup cam. Am I still able to tow 6,000lbs even though I still have to 3.73 gears? The manual only states between standard and max tow package? Really need to know this info as I'm planning to tow my wife's car from AZ to AK, 3,500 miles. Thanks in adavance.[/QUOTE

Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 6.42.24 PM.png

Sponsored

Tourenwagen

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
If it has the regular tow package with 3.73 gears it should have 6k just like the sport s with regular tow package with 3.73.
What about if the Overland doesn't have the tow package? I would have a hitch/electrical fitted and need to tow 4700lbs. Could it be done?

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
What about if the Overland doesn't have the tow package? I would have a hitch/electrical fitted and need to tow 4700lbs. Could it be done?
Hypothetically if you bought your own hitch setup for one they didn't come with one standard it should be ok but you also lack a higher amp alternator (unless it's added on a different package) and engine cooling that's on the trailer tow package. Also don't thing you get trailer hitch zoom but that don't effect tow capacity. For the love of God I don't know why there on the lots with no tow package. It's only 350 bucks and dealers are skimping out on it.

Tourenwagen

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Hypothetically if you bought your own hitch setup for one they didn't come with one standard it should be ok but you also lack a higher amp alternator (unless it's added on a different package) and engine cooling that's on the trailer tow package. Also don't thing you get trailer hitch zoom but that don't effect tow capacity. For the love of God I don't know why there on the lots with no tow package. It's only 350 bucks and dealers are skimping out on it.
I have never had the need to tow anything but now looking at a 700 mile trip with a 3000lb car and a 1600lb trailer. I'm thinking it might be better to just rent a truck...

*edit* I do have the camera zoom but pretty sure its a stock alternator and regular cooling. Going to scan the window sticker later to see if it highlights any of that.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I have never had the need to tow anything but now looking at a 700 mile trip with a 3000lb car and a 1600lb trailer. I'm thinking it might be better to just rent a truck...

*edit* I do have the camera zoom but pretty sure its a stock alternator and regular cooling. Going to scan the window sticker later to see if it highlights any of that.
You should be OK. It sure won't be fast but it will stop fine and feel safe if the trailer is loaded properly. But rent the truck if you would feel better, safety is king!
Sponsored