Sponsored

Overlanding Set up Ideas

ArmyJeepGuy666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hey all, Im in the market for a nice overlanding set up. I'm liking the RTT idea on a half rack (or lower). However, has anyone seen or know of any camper RTT/Shells and integrate as a hard topper? So basically my thought it having it integrated would mean you could somehow access the cab from the inside of the topper shell/truck bed.....any ideas, thoughts?
Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
There are several out there now, but all depends on what you are looking for and overall goals...the RTT shells are very pricey...looking at $10K and up. You could go with something like a PCOR smart tray and canopy, but that doesn't integrate a popup tent/camper but allows for a RTT to be mounted. There are some threads on here that have some pictures of the popup style that has the tent built into the shell. I'm running JCR's full height rack and a ikamper mini clone RTT. I like my setup, but I camp alone, so I don't need much. I would love a PCOR though.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I originally went with a Leitner full height rack so i could actually use my rearview mirror.

However I am going with a GFC so I will be taking the rack off.

Check out the GFC tent as that is as close as youre gonna get when it comes to something like this. Super pacific is another company, but they are new so we really dont know what their quality is like. Alu-Cab is also there, but was too heavy for my liking/tent top was way too tall.

I am driving out to Montana in a month to pick up my GFC so I will have more information on it then. But from what I read, its the best bang for your buck if you want something like this. Granted it is always on the truck and is meant to stay on it so unsure how you feel about that.

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Another thing to think about is how dedicated of an overlanding rig you are building. When I was starting my build I was constantly at war with myself between how to make it the perfect weekend, hunting, Home Depot, lake, off-road, overland, and bike hauling truck. Unfortunately, all of those things require different traits.

I changed my tune to make it modular, depending on what I was planning on a given weekend. It’s not perfect at anything, but it’s more pretty darn good at all of them now :)

So how dedicated are you to the overlanding cause?

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Another thing to think about is how dedicated of an overlanding rig you are building. When I was starting my build I was constantly at war with myself between how to make it the perfect weekend, hunting, Home Depot, lake, off-road, overland, and bike hauling truck. Unfortunately, all of those things require different traits.

I changed my tune to make it modular, depending on what I was planning on a given weekend. It’s not perfect at anything, but it’s more pretty darn good at all of them now :)

So how dedicated are you to the overlanding cause?
I second this. I started with a Ace Engineering upper decker but ended up not liking that I gave up my bed to anything tall and it limited the footprint of a RTT that could fit since it couldn't overhang the cab. I like my set up now. My JT isn't my daily driver, so the RTT will likely stay on all the time now, I like the mounting options for accessories with the bed racks and I am have (yet to install) a Gobi Stealth Rack for over the cab. It is probably overkill for my needs and honestly the one mod that I am doing probably 90% for looks, but I love the look of their low profile safari racks.

Redruby

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
My Gladiator is a dedicated overlanding vehicle and I went with the Alucab Canopy Camper and I love every aspect of it, I camp alone and it checked all the boxes for me

IMG_5895.jpeg
Sponsored