First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Yeah, you can connect several batteries (in parallel not series). I think the primary limitation is the 50a charging current. At some point that won't be enough.

As was mentioned you do have to keep the batteries to be the same chemistry, not including the starter battery of course.

I'm running a pair of 40ah Lifepo4 batteries myself.
40ah? Hell I'm looking at running 2 100ah batteries 4 100w solar panels. Should have plenty of power
Sponsored

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Yeah, for me I ran the numbers and 40ah gives me about 30 hours of runtime for fridge with no other loads or charging.

I'm running 2 40ah batteries, so I should have plenty of juice for a couple of days if I stay in the same spot. Plus I'll have some solar panels out if I'm parked.

Right now most of my usage will be going from spot to spot, not so much basecamping, so I don't see that I'll have an issue with 80ah.

We'll see. I'm not planning on using a keurig or crock pot or anything like that, so I'll only have a small inverter for charging drone and camera batteries, everything else will be 12v loads (lights, phone charging, etc)

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Unboxing VL60D can't wait to get the full setup going.
Jeep Gladiator Overlanding fridge/freezer set up IMG_20220225_143919385_HDR
Jeep Gladiator Overlanding fridge/freezer set up IMG_20220225_144420841_HDR
Jeep Gladiator Overlanding fridge/freezer set up IMG_20220225_144438199_HDR

Byrnesy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
What's your setup? Opinion or real world experience on brands. Looking at ICECO, Snomaster, ARB, or Dometic. Got pics of your setup?
I have run 12VDC Compressor fridges here in Australia since 1994. To date I have only had three . My first was a 40 Lt Trailblazer by Nor-Coast Refrigeration here in Australia. I sold it when I sold my Hilux in 2010 because the buyer offered me $1000 for the fridge (mounted in the custom tray I built for the Hilux) and the fridge was thirteen years old and I paid $1300 for it new, so why not.
The second the first of the ARBs Fridges which went in my JKU. I sold it two years ago as I was told that the control panels were failing, there were no spares and ARB was surprised mine was still working at eight years old.
And I replaced it with a custom 50 Liter Trailblazer from Norcoast refrigeration.

To me the single most important factor in a fridge is the thickness, therefor effectiveness of insulation around the fridge.

The TrailBlazers are made of 2 and 3mm Aluminium sheet with 75mm, 3 Inches, of insulation on the bottom and sides and 50mm on the lid. Hence they very energy efficient. Oh yeah some say they pull 6 amps but they often only run once a day.

Second they have no electronics in them. Hence any refrigeration mechanic can fix them. They are pop riveted and screwed together. And are as tough as old boots. I know of one that over thirty years old and still going strong.

So I would pick a similar style of fridge that is available in the US market.

Alternatively maybe there is a business opportunity for someone to import them to the US?
https://www.norcoast.com.au/trailblaza1.htm

Sponsored

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
I want to get one for overlanding but just me and dog so a 35 or even a 25 woud work. So far looking at Dometic but ICECO is close. Won't spend over 800.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
I want to get one for overlanding but just me and dog so a 35 or even a 25 woud work. So far looking at Dometic but ICECO is close. Won't spend over 800.
Got my Iceco VL60 dual zone for 630

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
Really a fridge over a 35 is as big as i need. My trips are all less than 7 days. I can get a Dometic 35 for about 825 delivered.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
Dometic CFX 35 powered by Jackery 300 when overnight, been flawless as a freezer 0-1 deg F consistently.

Sponsored

TJ Mitchell Films

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.YouTube.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubicon JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Welder
I’ve been testing this Iceco JP50 for a while now and I’m very happy with it. Paired with a Bluetti EB70S I just had it run for 75 hours on a single charge.

I will have more photos, a write up, and video review on my build page and YouTube channel coming soon for any one interested.

30C18811-587A-41C9-A352-83E4AAC5483F.jpeg

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
We have had a SnoMaster Expedition Series EX67D for a while now. Very happy with it and can't fault it. Bang for buck.
Jeep Gladiator Overlanding fridge/freezer set up SnoMaster KĂĽhl- und Gefrierbox, EX67D, resize

Love the remote. Warns you if the fridge disconnects. Batterie Monitor built in. Very cool if you have meds with you or raw dog food.
This was our first camping trip after coming to Germany. We are a touch more civilized now :LOL:
New challenge will be the SnoMaster on the truck bed, but my experience in South Africa with the SnoMaster brand has been that they are solid even thrown onto a bakkie, and off we went fishing.

Last edited:

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Got a BougeRV 35L recently, tried it out last weekend. Has 2 sections, both configurable as fridge or freezer.

Yesterday it sat unplugged and I threw it on the River to see how long it'd take to get cold and how much power it uses.

According to the readout on the River, it maxed at 38W, settled 34-35W, and was cold in about 15-20 mins. 38* and 32* in an empty fridge.

3.167A on full power. Took about 6% off the River power; about 18W.

The EcoFlow River 288W bank was on a lightning deal last week on AMZN. It must have been quite successful (they had one a couple months ago, too), because they dropped the price with use of a coupon this week. I might have nudged my wife it'd be a great little power source for her heated blanket in the RTT.

So now we have 2.

And the expansion battery.

Yes, I have burns from the holes in my pockets.

My plan is to mount a 100W solar panel on the roof rack and run the power to the River to charge it during the day.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Got my Renogy MPPT controller 40Li yesterday. Need a couple more parts. Still.
Sponsored