First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I have the Iceco VL65 dual zone. I can bring a whole lot of beer. It's one big fridge though. Also got the matching slider mounted in the bed. I can run it off my Bluetti AC50s indefinitely with a 120w solar panel.
I am used to carrying a Pelican 80 quart wheeled ( ice chest ), which is LARGER than the Iceco VL90!!! An 80 quart Pelican is more like a 45 quart once loaded with ice so I am intrigued by the massive capacity of the VL90 in a smaller footprint.

You are saying just AC50S is enough? I have the Anker Powerhouse 800 which is a 777watt/hr, 500watt max output power station. Just that thing can power these chests over a 3 day weekend if they're are on solar?! I do have Anderson DC inputs for solar on the powerhouse....

What panel you use?
Sponsored

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I am used to carrying a Pelican 80 quart wheeled ( ice chest ), which is LARGER than the Iceco VL90!!! An 80 quart Pelican is more like a 45 quart once loaded with ice so I am intrigued by the massive capacity of the VL90 in a smaller footprint.

You are saying just AC50S is enough? I have the Anker Powerhouse 800 which is a 777watt/hr, 500watt max output power station. Just that thing can power these chests over a 3 day weekend if they're are on solar?! I do have Anderson DC inputs for solar on the powerhouse....

What panel you use?
Bluetti 120w. The fridge draws 20w to 40w and drops to almost nothing at night once it's settled. During the day the panel is putting in more watt than the fridge is drawing. 8ve test run the ac50s without charging on my fridge and it lasted about 36 hrs.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Finally pulled the trigger. Got an Iceco VL60 dual zone fridge/freezer on its way. Got a smoking deal. 631 delivered. Now it's time to start purchasing solar and camp led lights. Anybody got advice on solar options? Looking at going 2 100AH LiFePo4 batteries. 4 100 watt solar panels and I'm curious what is the best middle of the road solar controller or management system?

ScottHarr_JT

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
ARB 63qt that gets shared between the JT and 4Runner. Wired directly to the battery, and run it 24/7 when on road trips. Installed this switch panel with USB and cigarette lighter.

0487BEBA-F581-4FF7-B88D-E8D53424D590.jpeg

3341BE98-5B07-4F7E-BF4E-D17CA8C9EBAC.jpeg

8FDC321D-220A-47AA-A44E-7231712F1589.jpeg

5740B5DA-B618-485C-AF73-557AF62E2757.jpeg
How does this system not drain the battery on long trips being wired directly to it? Does the ARB have a "dead-sense" (cant remember the exact term) shut off switch if the Jeep battery dips below a certain voltage? Interested in your set-up for sure.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
How does this system not drain the battery on long trips being wired directly to it? Does the ARB have a "dead-sense" (cant remember the exact term) shut off switch if the Jeep battery dips below a certain voltage? Interested in your set-up for sure.
It does have low voltage shut-off ( integrated battery protection system) I see no reason to see if it works. I use the 115v option when parked at the house. 12v off of the ignition controlled circuit and 12v from the ARB battery when not running. I have been very pleased.

Sponsored

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ

The ARB has a hi(11.8v)-med(11.4v)-low(10.1v) setting for voltage. If the battery drops below the specified voltage, it shuts the fridge off. I kept it on med and never had an issue. I ran it the exact same way in my 4Runner. I spent a full month on the road, camping, off-roading, and never had an issue with it.

ScottHarr_JT

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
The ARB has a hi(11.8v)-med(11.4v)-low(10.1v) setting for voltage. If the battery drops below the specified voltage, it shuts the fridge off. I kept it on med and never had an issue. I ran it the exact same way in my 4Runner. I spent a full month on the road, camping, off-roading, and never had an issue with it.
Cool! Thanks for that. Did you ever have it shut the fridge off during your trips? Or was the amount of driving enough to keep the battery juiced and keep the fridge plugging along?

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Finally pulled the trigger. Got an Iceco VL60 dual zone fridge/freezer on its way. Got a smoking deal. 631 delivered. Now it's time to start purchasing solar and camp led lights. Anybody got advice on solar options? Looking at going 2 100AH LiFePo4 batteries. 4 100 watt solar panels and I'm curious what is the best middle of the road solar controller or management system?
Redarc is nice but expensive. You can also look at victron controllers. They are pretty nice as well. I picked up a victron ac-dc charger for the unit I put together. I'm running an inexpensive rich solar mppt (same unit as renogy rover li). I also added renogy bt2 bluetooth module to monitor the battery (renogy 100ah). I can hook up another renogy in parallel if need be. But I think I have plenty of power between this unit and my bluetti ac50s. I'm still deciding on which inverter to pick up. Not sure if I want a 500w, 1000w or even a 2000w unit. The compromise for me is size and portability since I don't have a hard bed cap yet.

20220220_123755.jpg

20220220_123530.jpg

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Redarc is nice but expensive. You can also look at victron controllers. They are pretty nice as well. I picked up a victron ac-dc charger for the unit I put together. I'm running an inexpensive rich solar mppt (same unit as renogy rover li). I also added renogy bt2 bluetooth module to monitor the battery (renogy 100ah). I can hook up another renogy in parallel if need be. But I think I have plenty of power between this unit and my bluetti ac50s. I'm still deciding on which inverter to pick up. Not sure if I want a 500w, 1000w or even a 2000w unit. The compromise for me is size and portability since I don't have a hard bed cap yet.

Jeep Gladiator Overlanding fridge/freezer set up 20220220_123530

Jeep Gladiator Overlanding fridge/freezer set up 20220220_123530
Why AC to DC? Why not DC to DC? I know what an inverter does. Why is is necessary?

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Why AC to DC? Why not DC to DC? I know what an inverter does. Why is is necessary?
AC-DC so I can charge it at home before trips. I don't have a car dc-dc charger yet, just a solar charger. I can probably plug it in to the car inverter and charge the battery on the move, though not very efficient.
I've been using it without an inverter, but the wife is thinking about bringing a rice cooker and maybe crock pot, hence the inverter.

Sponsored

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
I would probably get one these Renogy DCC50s when I'm ready to have an on-board sysetm.
A buddy and I each got one of these on sale a few weeks ago and it looks like they are on sale again now.

https://www.renogy.com/dcc50s-12v-50a-dc-dc-on-board-battery-charger-with-mppt/

I haven't had much time to play with mine yet, but so far it's a really nice package. I wish it had a shore power input, but I can always add that separately and I'll likely rarely be anywhere near an outlet camping anyway.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
A buddy and I each got one of these on sale a few weeks ago and it looks like they are on sale again now.

https://www.renogy.com/dcc50s-12v-50a-dc-dc-on-board-battery-charger-with-mppt/

I haven't had much time to play with mine yet, but so far it's a really nice package. I wish it had a shore power input, but I can always add that separately and I'll likely rarely be anywhere near an outlet camping anyway.
Question is....can that control multiple batteries? Or do I need one for each battery?

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Question is....can that control multiple batteries? Or do I need one for each battery?
Yeah, you can connect several batteries (in parallel not series). I think the primary limitation is the 50a charging current. At some point that won't be enough.

As was mentioned you do have to keep the batteries to be the same chemistry, not including the starter battery of course.

I'm running a pair of 40ah Lifepo4 batteries myself.
Sponsored