Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I do a lot of work on my Jeep. And other cars too. But oil changes just aren't always part of it. There are no heat shields to remove when changing oil on a jeep. So that's not an issue.

And yes, You're right, the containers do hold more than one oil change. But the auto parts stores don't have the people to man the oil container right now, and they haven't for the last 3 years. So usually, it means waiting until the store is empty so someone can go outside with me and they can unlock the tank. And then, they can only take 6 (or maybe it's 8... can't remember) quarts at a time (well-monitored and they make you sign for it.)
So if I have more than one oil change worth in the container, I have to go back 2 or three times or go to two or three stores.

I just have never had a bad experience with a dealership changing the oil. If i ever do, I'm confident they will fix it.

I don't think this is one most will see eye-to-eye with you on. And that's ok. But it doesn't make one a lazy person because they don't change their own oil. It's 10-15 minutes of my time if I do it myself, plus cleanup, supplies, or it's 20-25 minutes at the dealership, with less hassle, and I get a rotation too, which they can do way faster than me. Added bonus, they do multipoint inspection too if you ask them too.

I have two full oil containers right now. I drove around to two auto parts stores and the local Firestone the last time. None had the staff to take the used oil.
I no longer use oil pans for draining, because of the mess to transport and empty. I keep one empty 5 quart jug around. I then drain the pan directly into an empty jug with the valve and hose. No mess. The new oil goes in and becomes the next empty. I do agree. This is easy to say and do in 10 mins because the Jeep is so high. Most vehicles donā€™t have room for a 5 quart jug underneath with no jacking.
Sponsored

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
I agree that if you're a military pilot then definitely be a perfectionist, and for that matter call out those who aren't! And by the way thank you for serving!

That said, NO you're not cursed. I think you've just had a string of unfortunate bad experiences that have given you a bad taste for dealer service in general. I don't really blame you either. A couple of years ago I had a bad experience too with my RV at a huge dealer, and yeah it stinks. But I then found a different service location through a friend and I'm now very happy. If you've found happiness with doing it all yourself (and if you have the time and ability) then that's understandable.

With my JT I go to my local dealer for oil changes and everything else. I'm an insurance broker and investor - not a mechanical bone in my body - so I don't change my own oil. I don't care what anybody thinks about that. I'll do what I'm good at and pay others to do what they're supposed to be good at. I arrive for my dealership oil change appointment and I'm gone with a fresh oil change and tire rotation in between 20 and 30 minutes. While I'm there I set up my laptop on an empty desk and get some work done, or sometimes one of the salespeople will chit chat with me about cars, sports, or whatever. Regardless - I've yet to have a bad experience or feel like they're somehow inept. I even take my wife's BMW to that dealership because I've got time and enjoy it. It's a good experience every time there as well.

Well, I didn't mean to go on so long with this post so I'll stop now. I do hope that if you ever really need a dealership for a service issue then by that time you'll have found one you can trust with the work.
Thanks. I don't know why people think I'm angry. It's just how I write/talk lol.

And for others; it's not about being a "man". It's about protecting your investment and limiting liability.

I like to assess things using the military risk assessment matrix:

Jeep Gladiator Owner of Jeep left at dealer for oil change is sued after tragic accident Screen%2BShot%2B2017-08-12%2Bat%2B12.54.15%2BPM

When it comes to a failure out in the field due to a poorly completed oil change, it can be a catastrophic or critical consequence. Especially if you are out in the wilderness or out off-roading.

Even Unlikely frequency can bump you up to medium risk, and seldom frequency (which I think letting a dealership change your oil) falls into a High risk if I'm going remote overlanding. Improperly conducted oil changes are a lot more frequent occurrences than people think.

I've been on many car forums for decades... the horror stories I've heard.

Then people go "well I just check everything after the oil change". So if you have that little faith, why give it to them in the first place? And now you've spent even more time not changing your oil.

And no, it's not the master mechanic changing your oil. It's the guy in this OP story or someone like him changing it. Oil changes and tire rotations go to the lowest level workers that were vetted with the criteria "do you have a heartbeat".

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
Whoa, this 'oil change' thread is beaten to death.

My take is, yes I used to change my oil almost all the time on prev cars, was sort of satisfying to have control of all the servicing aspects of it, just dreaded the final trips to dispose of at hazardous collections.

But nowadays, since owning my prev Xterra, I've had very good relations with my local dealer's Service Dept. I use their 3 synthetic oil change special for $80 continuously and been very satisfactory, never pushed for additional service unless urgent. Here is the positive, each time I visit for this service, they do full inspection, logs kept and this is tracked on Carfax, a great thing when comes to selling it - service history.

So, if I can find a similar 'relationship' with my local Jeep dealer I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing. And yeah, while there waiting, I can also catch up on my work.

Sponsored

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I don't know why people think I'm angry. It's just how I write/talk lol.

And for others; it's not about being a "man". It's about protecting your investment and limiting liability.

I like to assess things using the military risk assessment matrix:

Jeep Gladiator Owner of Jeep left at dealer for oil change is sued after tragic accident 71SG6XmBSrL._AC_SS450_

When it comes to a failure out in the field due to a poorly completed oil change, it can be a catastrophic or critical consequence. Especially if you are out in the wilderness or out off-roading.

Even Unlikely frequency can bump you up to medium risk, and seldom frequency (which I think letting a dealership change your oil) falls into a High risk if I'm going remote overlanding. Improperly conducted oil changes are a lot more frequent occurrences than people think.

I've been on many car forums for decades... the horror stories I've heard.

Then people go "well I just check everything after the oil change". So if you have that little faith, why give it to them in the first place? And now you've spent even more time not changing your oil.

And no, it's not the master mechanic changing your oil. It's the guy in this OP story or someone like him changing it. Oil changes and tire rotations go to the lowest level workers that were vetted with the criteria "do you have a heartbeat".
Thanks Zybane for that insight into the military's way of looking at risk. I found it very interesting, and it makes sense that one could apply that same assessment to maintaining a vehicle for various levels of off-roading.

As for this thread topic, I think it was just a terrible freak accident that nobody could have seen coming. That person was asked to drive a car that was completely outside of his skill level. They probably thought nothing of it . Everybody who's ever driven a straight drive has had to learn by failing until getting it right. Generally it's just an embarrassing lot of forward leeping, konking out, barking tires and stalling on hills, and things like that. No harm done except to the pride of the learner. This was one of those times that I would have thought should rate E-IV or D-III on your military risk table. This was the tragic exception, though. Nothing is truly risk-free. Just thinking out loud there.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So true. My son and daughter are rare exceptions - both are twenty somethings who've driven manual trans since they began driving. None, and I mean none of their friends can drive their cars.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I'm a millennial. I drive stick. Never owned anything but stick. I see this a lot. But the reality is that most millennials can drive stick. We're probably the last generation that can. It's generation Z that wouldn't have grown up exposed to manuals (like the unfortunate 19 year old in this story). Millennials grew up with Gran Turismo and the Fast and the Furious, which made driving stick seem sexy.

Many Millennials' first cars were cheap second hand 90s/early 00s Hondas, VWs, Ford Rangers, and Corollas that were mostly manual.

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
I'm a millennial. I drive stick. Never owned anything but stick. I see this a lot. But the reality is that most millennials can drive stick. We're probably the last generation that can. It's generation Z that wouldn't have grown up exposed to manuals (like the unfortunate 19 year old in this story). Millennials grew up with Gran Turismo and the Fast and the Furious, which made driving stick seem sexy.

Many Millennials' first cars were cheap second hand 90s/early 00s Hondas, VWs, Ford Rangers, and Corollas that were mostly manual.
Ya that's true. Myself being born in late '79, I'm actually close to being a "millennial". I think Millennials get a lot of guff that should be directed at "Gen Z". Although "Gen Z" doesn't roll off the tongue like "Millennial" does.

Gene26

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepgladiatorforum.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Launch Edition 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 Ram Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
I always laugh when people are too lazy to change their oil and put their expensive vehicle in the hands of complete idiots.
Hey! not all techs are complete idiots. Just as in every profession some are very good at what they do and some are not so good. My son is a dealer tech. He is the highest level Chrysler certified tech and an ASE master tech. He fixes shade tree mechanics stuff every week. He does all my oil changes and maintenance for me. Can I do it myself? Yes but when itā€™s free for me and he gets paid to do it why not.

By they way I always laugh at people that make general statements about groups of people that can never be 100% true or false but hey maybe you are the all knowing person and because you said it makes it true. If thatā€™s the case then can tells us what the next power ball numbers will be?

Sponsored

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Hey! not all techs are complete idiots. Just as in every profession some are very good at what they do and some are not so good. My son is a dealer tech. He is the highest level Chrysler certified tech and an ASE master tech. He fixes shade tree mechanics stuff every week. He does all my oil changes and maintenance for me. Can I do it myself? Yes but when itā€™s free for me and he gets paid to do it why not.

By they way I always laugh at people that make general statements about groups of people that can never be 100% true or false but hey maybe you are the all knowing person and because you said it makes it true. If thatā€™s the case then can tells us what the next power ball numbers will be?
Shrug, I stand by my statement. More likely than not IMO a persons oil change will be done by the least paid workers at a dealer service center or oil change place, who are high turnover, low paid, barely trained individuals.

How is your son personally doing your oil changes for you relevant to the discussion lol.

Just watch this video and read the comments:

Big issues with oil changes aren't that uncommon.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Shrug, I stand by my statement. More likely than not IMO a persons oil change will be done by the least paid workers at a dealer service center or oil change place, who are high turnover, low paid, barely trained individuals.

How is your son personally doing your oil changes for you relevant to the discussion lol.

They are uncommon enough that my wife and I each drive 25000 miles per year. And have never experienced one. Nor have my parents, or for that matter, anyone I've ever met.

Sure, you can find stuff if you look for it. But it's not the norm, and it's not expected. It's kind of like freak accidents (such as the one in this thread). Sure, stuff happens sometimes, but it won't happen to the overwhelmingly vast majority of people. But if you Google "freak accident" you'll find plenty.

Gene26

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepgladiatorforum.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Launch Edition 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 Ram Rebel
Vehicle Showcase

Everyone has asshole and an opinion your entitled to both off yours and I will choose which one of yours I listen too if either.

LOL

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave
I think almost everyone here is mis-representing how "quick and painless" having the dealership change your oil is.

You have to drive to the dealership, then get out of your vehicle, go inside, possibly wait in a line, sign the truck in/work order, then either wait around for the work to be completed or get a lift to your next destination, then get a lift back to pick up the vehicle, go inside, possibly wait in line again, sign the work order/pay, then find your vehicle, drive to next destination or back home...

And you are going to do all that in less time it takes me 10 minutes to change my oil at home with everything that got shipped to my door from Amazon? Ain't no way.

Oh and the dealership is way more expensive than doing it yourself, especially on the diesel. (Jeep wave doesn't count). On top of all that, knowing it was done 100% correctly, with exactly the correct filter and oil by doing it yourself.

Maybe I am cursed, but I think every single experience in my life with a car dealership/service has been negative. Maybe I'm a perfectionist (good to be that way in my profession).
I go to my dealer's website, pick a day and time, wait for them to show up in my driveway, toss them the keys and wait a couple hours for them to bring it back.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Steve Lehto made a specific video on the topic. He actually makes a good point that is lost in the news reporting on this that while it is legal for the plaintiff to be suing the vehicle owner as having legal liability per MI state law, the plaintiff still has the right to sue the employee responsible directly. The fact that the plaintiff's legal team has not made that employee party to the lawsuit, says it is all about the monetary compensation and the vehicle owner got the short end of the stick on that.

Sponsored