Sponsored

Painting the Inside of the freedom top, and touch up of outside

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I want to paint the white inside of the freedom top matte black. What paint should I use? Would something like krylon work? Anybody from the jl side hear of somebody doing this?

I know @gsxr310 did it, looks like his was professionally painted inside and out? Looks nice, https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/painting-the-freedom-top.17483/#post-260513

Then apparently I had a small chip in my DRIVER SIDE freedom panel (of course), anybody touch up any dings on their top before?
20190825_165131.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I want to paint the white inside of the freedom top matte black. What paint should I use? Would something like krylon work? Anybody from the jl side hear of somebody doing this?

I know @gsxr310 did it, looks like his was professionally painted inside and out? Looks nice, https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/painting-the-freedom-top.17483/#post-260513

Then apparently I had a small chip in my DRIVER SIDE freedom panel (of course), anybody touch up any dings on their top before?
20190825_165131.jpg
well this looks promising. i'll buy one of these.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/mopar-h...TNRvChthdDzVjGvIY4cNxsSpcGbRCZVhoCoq4QAvD_BwE

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD

BradWatson8541

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Silverado to be traded for a JT
I thought about doing this as well but i plan on putting a Bestop sun shade on and shouldn't that hide most of the white hardtop? This is my first jeep so Im' just guessing at this.

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
The big reason the freedom tops are white is for light, a black paint job will like sitting in a cave, plus white reflects heat, black absorbs heat. If you want to redo the freedom panels do as some other keepers do, add a velcro panel where you can collect and display your off roads patches

Sponsored

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2002 Thunderbird
Plasti-dip, that way it's not permanent and you don't have to prep the surface in any way other that wiping it down before spraying.

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
I painted the inside of my LJ hardtop with black satin kyrlon fusion. It looked a lot better and wasn't nearly as bright. I plan on doing it whenever my JT shows up

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The big reason the freedom tops are white is for light, a black paint job will like sitting in a cave, plus white reflects heat, black absorbs heat. If you want to redo the freedom panels do as some other keepers do, add a velcro panel where you can collect and display your off roads patches
i see your point, but if I want bright, i'll take the top off I think. our minivan has an all black interior and its nice.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I painted the inside of my LJ hardtop with black satin kyrlon fusion. It looked a lot better and wasn't nearly as bright. I plan on doing it whenever my JT shows up
i think that's what others have said on the jl forum. I'll give that a test. Any specific prep needed? I figure you just mask if off and spray. doesn't that shit stick to anything?

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Alcohol prep is key to a good bond with what ever you use. Matte does do good but I would look at satin or egg shell finish because matte once bonked will show a scuff and it holds dust.

Mopar offers a paint pen and rattle can for the hard top paint, feathered in it looks great.

The tops are white on the inside because the plastic is white and Jeep wants to paint as little as possible. I’m still on the fence about painting it dark on the inside, the interior lighting is so poor on these as it is are you giving up all that much?

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alcohol prep is key to a good bond with what ever you use. Matte does do good but I would look at satin or egg shell finish because matte once bonked will show a scuff and it holds dust.

Mopar offers a paint pen and rattle can for the hard top paint, feathered in it looks great.

The tops are white on the inside because the plastic is white and Jeep wants to paint as little as possible. I’m still on the fence about painting it dark on the inside, the interior lighting is so poor on these as it is are you giving up all that much?
thanks for the advice, i'll alcohol prep it and think i'll try the lack satin kyrlon fusion that @FL Handle Guy suggested.

As for the lighting inside...I'm not sure. Trouble is i'm doing a custom pattern headliner that should match tan seats and Gator really nicely, but it needs either tan or black for the rest of the headliner or else it'll look weird.

I think for this I may choose fashion over function. I plan to keep most of what I need access to in my topper area anyways with great lighting.

In the interior I only need access to the center console and the light is right over my shoulder for that.

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
clean with soap and water, use a scotch-brite to lightly scuff the top, clean with alcohol and paint. If you touch anything be sure to wipe it down again before you paint.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
clean with soap and water, use a scotch-brite to lightly scuff the top, clean with alcohol and paint. If you touch anything be sure to wipe it down again before you paint.
i'll use gloves with scotch-brite, new gloves with alcohol and new gloves when handling to paint, lol.

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
Plasti-dip, that way it's not permanent and you don't have to prep the surface in any way other that wiping it down before spraying.
Can't believe I didn't think of this. I foresee a blue interior hardtop in my near future :rock:
Sponsored