Sponsored

Patagonia MTs

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Just jumped into the gladiator game and shopping new tires. I’ve been really intrigued by the Patagonia MTs and want to run 35s. Thoughts on the tire? Tread life, noise, traction - what’s your take?

note: I have a roughly a 50 min round trip commute with my job, 5 days a week....so with that said, would I regret these in terms of mpg and the ride in general?

thanks in advance
Sponsored

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
I have them on my YJ in 31x10.5. The are surprisingly quiet for such an aggressive tread and work well on dry, wet, and snow covered roads. I am very happy with them off-road.

However...after only 3,000 miles I have concerns about their longevity. Although I have not measured the tread depth the wear is, IMHO, noticeable when compared to the spare that hasn’t been on the ground yet. To be fair I recently learned that unlike most flotation tires which are run at lower than normal air pressures to get the full tread on the ground these tires are a “crowned” design which are meant to be run at a higher pressure with the center ribs being the main contact point. I have been running them at the wrong pressure.

OP
OP
PisgahGladiator
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have them on my YJ in 31x10.5. The are surprisingly quiet for such an aggressive tread and work well on dry, wet, and snow covered roads. I am very happy with them off-road.

However...after only 3,000 miles I have concerns about their longevity. Although I have not measured the tread depth the wear is, IMHO, noticeable when compared to the spare that hasn’t been on the ground yet. To be fair I recently learned that unlike most flotation tires which are run at lower than normal air pressures to get the full tread on the ground these tires are a “crowned” design which are meant to be run at a higher pressure with the center ribs being the main contact point. I have been running them at the wrong pressure.
I’d be very interested to hear how they are after 10k. I guess tread life isn’t something I should be anticipating out of a MT, but if they’d go close to 40k, I’d buy them asap. With the commute, it’d be hard to justify (at least for me), replacing the tires every 2.5 years (or sooner).

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
A Milestar representative was at an Off Road Four Wheeler Outdoors event last month. He told the guy on the Facebook Milestar page that Patagonias should be aired to the same air pressure as stock tires.

I run 38x13.5r17s on my Gladiator and daily drive 70 miles round-trip. The tires are quiet and on the few trail runs that I have been on are sure footed and offer good traction overall.

I was told that these tires tend to run rough after they "Outgas", making them run like, "Bricks". They develop "Lug Chop" if not rotated in an "X" fashion - Front opposite to rear opposite every 3,500 miles (per Milestar representative).

Currently, I have 3,000 miles on my Patagonias and the tread is still soft. I have had zero problems and honestly, in 20,000 miles I can just run my stock AT3Ws on the stock wheels or buy more Patagonias, BFGs or whatever I decide on.

For the good price point, low road noise and improved traction over the stock AT3Ws, I would buy a set and have fun with them.

OT8l7A2.jpg

RKsZeIW.jpg

N2HEaCN.jpg

GuacXdP.jpg

MPYBZy3.jpg

UN1iOSC.jpg
jlXxpAf.jpg

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
  • I have run the Patagonias before on Jeep and on my F350 4x4 diesel. I have no issues at all on either vehicle with the Milestars. They are quiet on road but are incredible off road. I plan to buy some for my JT after I wear out the stock Rubicon tires.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'd also recommend to take a look at the Kumho Road Venture M/T KL71... They often get overlooked because they're directional, but they pull VERY good in reverse, as well as forward. Very quiet, very smooth, long tread life, drives and handles like a street tire on pavement...All-around excellent tires. I'm running them on my JTR, and my dad has been running them on his 2008 Ram 2500 Cummins for 8-10 years. He really likes them.

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd also recommend to take a look at the Kumho Road Venture M/T KL71... They often get overlooked because they're directional, but they pull VERY good in reverse, as well as forward. Very quiet, very smooth, long tread life, drives and handles like a street tire on pavement...All-around excellent tires. I'm running them on my JTR, and my dad has been running them on his 2008 Ram 2500 Cummins for 8-10 years. He really likes them.
They're overlooked because they probably don't make a tire larger than 35" O.D. I don't see them on the Americas Tire site. Their available sizes are load range E making them better suited for a full sized pickup.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They're overlooked because they probably don't make a tire larger than 35" O.D. I don't see them on the Americas Tire site. Their available sizes are load range E making them better suited for a full sized pickup.
They make them in 37x13.50r20, and 38x15.50r20...I know this for a fact. Just because your favorite place doesn’t show them doesn’t mean they don’t exist... Check Kumho’s website. :like:

My 37x13.50r20 E-rated tires drive well and ride well. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

Nevermind... Post #4 explains everything...

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They make them in 37x13.50r20, and 38x15.50r20...I know this for a fact. Just because your favorite place doesn’t show them doesn’t mean they don’t exist... Check Kumho’s website. :like:

My 37x13.50r20 E-rated tires drive well and ride well. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

Nevermind... Post #4 explains everything...
But, they're 20's. That's a road wheel. Not enough sidewall for the trail. Edit: the 38" size might work, but 20s are a big heavy wheel.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
But, they're 20's. That's a road wheel. Not enough sidewall for the trail.
Plenty of sidewall... You just have to not worry about the lips of your wheels. I’ve been wheeling 38x15.50r20 Mud Grapplers for 13 years...No issues...

Sponsored

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plenty of sidewall... You just have to not worry about the lips of your wheels. I’ve been wheeling 38x15.50r20 Mud Grapplers for 13 years...No issues...
But, how much for a 20" wheel? My 17 cost $129.
Tires? I paid $249 each. That's comparable to the price on 15's.

OT8l7A2.jpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
But, how much for a 20" wheel? My 17 cost $129.
Tires? I paid $249 each. That's comparable to the price on 15's.

OT8l7A2.jpg
$200 per wheel, $290 per tire.

Slightly more, but looks WAY better, IMO.

E2F09AEE-8055-4233-A071-88E6FB4BCE5F.jpeg

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Milestar representative was at an Off Road Four Wheeler Outdoors event last month. He told the guy on the Facebook Milestar page that Patagonias should be aired to the same air pressure as stock tires.

I run 38x13.5r17s on my Gladiator and daily drive 70 miles round-trip. The tires are quiet and on the few trail runs that I have been on are sure footed and offer good traction overall.

I was told that these tires tend to run rough after they "Outgas", making them run like, "Bricks". They develop "Lug Chop" if not rotated in an "X" fashion - Front opposite to rear opposite every 3,500 miles (per Milestar representative).

Currently, I have 3,000 miles on my Patagonias and the tread is still soft. I have had zero problems and honestly, in 20,000 miles I can just run my stock AT3Ws on the stock wheels or buy more Patagonias, BFGs or whatever I decide on.

For the good price point, low road noise and improved traction over the stock AT3Ws, I would buy a set and have fun with them.

Jeep Gladiator Patagonia MTs E2F09AEE-8055-4233-A071-88E6FB4BCE5F

Short hillclimb video

Eazye

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Technology

OT8l7A2.jpg

RKsZeIW.jpg

N2HEaCN.jpg

GuacXdP.jpg

MPYBZy3.jpg

UN1iOSC.jpg
jlXxpAf.jpg
What size lift are you running to fit the 38s? Looks great! I’m just on 35s with a leveling kit but want to move to 37 or 38s and was looking at the Patagonia MTs. I really like the Goodyear MTR 35s I’m running now but they are cost prohibitive....lol. I’ve seen a 3.5” lift on non-rubicon running the 38s, but at the same time, I can still stuff a Milestar in the spare tire mount if I stick with 37.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I didn't read everyone's post, but just offering my own experience. I have 29,000 miles on mine (JTR, 6 spd MT). the are 315/70R17 (34.5"). Very quiet, nice ride. I had BFG MTR 35's on my JKR and really liked them, but the Pat's are better so far...but I have done very little off road so far. But I can bet that not many have put 29,000 miles on there's in 14 months. I'm at about 50% tread wear maybe and when these are done, I will go with Pat's again.
Sponsored