Sponsored

Payload increase from axle and suspension upgrade?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Does anyone know if you upgrade to Dana 60/80 axles, and a better suspension, do you increase the payload?

Would probably need a stronger engine though, which would need an appropriate transmission.

How much of a beast of burden would this be? Towing wouldn’t increase too much because in all likelihood you screwed up Jeep’s fancy engine cooling engineering. But payload should be better.

How much more weight do the upgraded axles handle? Would you go from a GVWR of 6250 to 10,000?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicles frame and bed would still be limiting factors more than likely. Frame rails crushing from added weight. My wild a## guess

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Does anyone know if you upgrade to Dana 60/80 axles, and a better suspension, do you increase the payload?

Would probably need a stronger engine though, which would need an appropriate transmission.

How much of a beast of burden would this be? Towing wouldn’t increase too much because in all likelihood you screwed up Jeep’s fancy engine cooling engineering. But payload should be better.

How much more weight do the upgraded axles handle? Would you go from a GVWR of 12,500 to 20,000?
you’re joking right?

An F-250 4x4 only has a gvwr of 10,800 max....

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Well that’s a start...

There’s a lot more than axle rating that goes into calculating the GVWR of a vehicle.
Among the things that come to mind are:
1. Tire load rating
2. Wheel load rating
3. Braking capacity
4. Vehicle stability
5. etc., etc., etc.

IMHO if you want a higher GVWR you should just get another truck...

Sponsored

jjmstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
At least in Maryland if the vehicle was born ( made ) to haul 5,000 lbs ( or whatever amount ) no matter what you do to that vehicle it stays at 5,000 lbs. Your could put Rockwell 2 1/2 ton planetary's under it and it would still be a 5,000 lb load carrying vehicle.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Well that’s a start...

There’s a lot more than axle rating that goes into calculating the GVWR of a vehicle.
1. Tire load rating
2. Wheel load rating
3. Braking capacity
4. Vehicle stability
5. etc., etc., etc.

Engine cooling too. That was a big factor in the development of the JT.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well that’s a start...

1. Tire load rating
2. Wheel load rating
3. Braking capacity
4. Vehicle stability
5. etc., etc., etc.

wheel and tire load capacity is the easiest/cheapest part to address. Load range E tires on steel wheels.

Braking capacity is a good point. The JT already has great brakes for towing requirements, so they should be fine

Engine cooling too. That was a big factor in the development of the JT.
but that was for towing, not payload

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True, and I figured that someone would point that out, but if you haul enough weight in the bed it will come into play.
Eventually. I'm not experienced in the field but tell me if the thought process works

Cooling is the limiting factor for the towing. Towing being the strain on the engine, generates more heat. Max towing is 7650lbs, which means tongue weight should be about 765lbs. That's almost exactly half the payload of a Max Tow sport. So with a 150lb driver, you have 785lb of payload left (assuming 1500-1600lb payload capacity; driver weight discussed in other threads, it's mentioned in the user manual and documents published by FCA, and is the weight accounted for in the tow rating test). But towing is a different stress that payload, because you are having to push your 5000lb truck and pull the 7650lb trailer. I think the combined weight of vehicle and trailer for the Max Tow can't exceed 12,500lbs according to a little card Jeep sent me (makes sense, 5000lb vehicle + 7650lb trailer - 150lb driver = 12500lbs) So the cooling system is designed to move that much weight. I'm not saying you could have a 7650lb payload, because that would break the axles. But the cooling system should in theory be able to move that much weight, less how much is factored into weight concentrated in abed vs spread out via trailer (surface area, more tires for rolling resistance, a couple more factors to consider)

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
It would have to be a LOT of weight in the bed before it was a factor. I mentioned it because of some crazy GVWR numbers mentioned earlier in this thread.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would have to be a LOT of weight in the bed before it was a factor. I mentioned it because of some crazy GVWR numbers mentioned earlier in this thread.
Yes, for which I corrected. This thread was made around 3am after I put a crying newborn to sleep lol.

Lives The Dream

First Name
Meericole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 cj5, 1995 YJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JT
How much would the bed floor and sides be rated at? And would you be hauling lead? It’s only a 5 foot bed, you would also be limited by physical size, I would think.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much would the bed floor and sides be rated at? And would you be hauling lead? It’s only a 5 foot bed, you would also be limited by physical size, I would think.
I'm considering more of just a few hundred pounds increased payload needed for overlanding applications. Carry more stuff, not crazy worksite loads. Something like being able to haul a full ton.

Hell, the Tesla truck is claiming to be able to have a 4500lb payload

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
At least in Maryland if the vehicle was born ( made ) to haul 5,000 lbs ( or whatever amount ) no matter what you do to that vehicle it stays at 5,000 lbs. Your could put Rockwell 2 1/2 ton planetary's under it and it would still be a 5,000 lb load carrying vehicle.
This is basically true everywhere. The placard is certified and can't be changed.
Sponsored