Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator Pickup Engines, Tow Capacity, Max Payload Figures and Axle Ratios Revealed!

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Silverado, 1981 El Camino
all depends on transmission gearing... 3.45s could end up being a better combo than the 3.73s on the JK
It looks like the 3.73s are offered on the JL. The JT just jumps from 3.45s to 4.10s.

Everything will be different with the 8 speed transmission.
I'm only interested in the 6 speed manual. If the manual isn't going to be offered, then my interest in the vehicle is gone.

kevinspocket

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinspocket.com
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport, 2016 Jeep Patriot Sport SE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm only interested in the 6 speed manual. If the manual isn't going to be offered, then my interest in the vehicle is gone.
Well we don't know if or what manual will be available, so it's hard to say what gear ratio will be perfect

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I have been looking into air bag suspensions. Would putting bags on the Gladiator up the payload, and if so by how much? I would love to put a truck camper in and I need the most payload that I can get .

Last edited by a moderator:

kevinspocket

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinspocket.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have been looking into air bag suspensions. Would putting bags on the Gladiator up the payload, and if so by how much? I would love to put a truck camper in and I need the most payload that I can get .
Adding airbags will help to keep it level with a lot of weight in the bed, but nothing is going to increase the vehicle's factory payload rating.

Sponsored

Aus_wrangler

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK wrangler Unlimted
NOT AT ALL HAPPY. Needs to have a 1 tonne payload for our tax laws. I have been hanging onto my Nissan Navara (150Km) to upgrade to a Gladiator as a work truck since it was first announced. But with a payload of 635kg it does not register as a commercial vehicle so I will be hit with FBT (fringe benefit taxes) and more. I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed I am.

Unfortunately they will not sell many of these down here purely for this reason as most (over 90%) of dual cab ute buyers are tradies and buy for business vehicles! I hope the powers that be (FCA) read this forum as it not worth the $$$$ bringing them down here without 1Tonne payload!!!!

Down here ( Australia) they say the scrambler is going up against Hilux and Ranger (Ford) our 2 biggest selling utes. These are nearly all sold as work utes and all have a 1 tonne payload so you can use for company work truck and weekend 4x4 but now I agree with Ian CJ10 these will not sell down here. All the competition have 3500kg towing. I think 3000kg is just ok but will lose sales for the customers towing big caravans.

Been wanting a wrangler forever, had a Cherokee and have been excited since first hearing of the pickup now totally shattered as cannot use as a work vehicle.

Copied from the Australian Taxation office website:
Four-wheel drive vehicles qualify for the work-related use exemption if they are:

• designed to carry a load of one tonne or more, or
  • designed to carry more than eight passengers, or
  • not designed for the principal purpose of carrying passengers.
Where did your numbers come from?

Payload might be higher in some variations but with a quick look at the 4x4 dual cabs

Hilux - 925kgs
Triton - 945kgs
BT50 - 1082kgs
Colorado - 825kgs

Coming from a wrangler now, the above 4 won't get close to the wrangler in 4wd capability.

Towing capacity seems to be lower, but then again the wrangler unlimited in the USA is rated to 3500lbs or about 1600kgs and in Australia its 2300kgs

Mako

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Caliber SXT
Aus.wrangler

Was always informed to make sure my vehicles were commercial vehicles to avoid any additional taxes FBT etc

VA6489

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500, 56 F100 4x4,
Lovin what I am reading here. Looking at a JLU but I still need some towing capacity and like the idea of a open rear bed. The JT if these tow numbers are correct Is looking much more appealing.
Now the questions begin.
Will it have a T case like the Rock Track 4:1 reduction? Still want to go crawlin off road.
Will it be offered in only8 speed with the Diesel? My thinking is yes, this limits the amount of damage the operator can do to the drive train from abuse.
Locking axles?
And what is meant by premium trim? Hoping much like a Rubicon.
Towing of 6500# will require brakes on the trailer, integrated brake controller much like the Pickups???

Noticed that AEV is no longer producing the Brute 4door. Wonder if they were the test bed for this new model?

JeepingNet

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ Rubicon - 07 Grand Cherokee
I'm really glad Jeep is taking towing serious here. This will in my opinion make or break this model.

kevinspocket

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinspocket.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lovin what I am reading here. Looking at a JLU but I still need some towing capacity and like the idea of a open rear bed. The JT if these tow numbers are correct Is looking much more appealing.
Now the questions begin.
Will it have a T case like the Rock Track 4:1 reduction? Still want to go crawlin off road.
Will it be offered in only8 speed with the Diesel? My thinking is yes, this limits the amount of damage the operator can do to the drive train from abuse.
Locking axles?
And what is meant by premium trim? Hoping much like a Rubicon.
Towing of 6500# will require brakes on the trailer, integrated brake controller much like the Pickups???

Noticed that AEV is no longer producing the Brute 4door. Wonder if they were the test bed for this new model?
I don think AEV was testing for Jeep... but Jeep has licensed AEV products many times in the past and I wouldn't be surprised if they do so with the bed design.

Sponsored

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 OUTLANDER SPORT, 2008 BUICK ENCLAVE, 1933 CHEVY COUPE, 1968 MUSTANG
I am still shocked that there is a 525# difference in the 3.6 base model and the 3.0 diesel turbo model. I mean, I get you have to add turbo (which will be small), waste gate, thicker (probably cast) header, intercooler (from this weight increase, is looking like it will be water cooled), piping (probably not aluminum).... last I was reading they were both using the 8 speed transmission.
Wondering the difference the blocks are weighing? and how much that extra weight is going to effect MGP between the two models?
I remember reading that FCA was doing everything they could to lower the weight on the JL, adding aluminum doors, hood, ect. saving around 700# over all, could the addition of the 3.0 be a big reason for that?
I am not a mid size truck aficionado, so does anyone know if these weights are comparable to trucks in the JT class? Is the 5100# average, and the 4600# low?
sorry for so many question.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The Diesel block is a lot heavier, plus you not only add all the turbo components, but also the extra emissions equipment such as a DEF tank. Also the diesel dose use an 8 speed ZF trans vs a different 8 speed FCA trans thats used on the V6.

Hokieneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR
I am still shocked that there is a 525# difference in the 3.6 base model and the 3.0 diesel turbo model. I mean, I get you have to add turbo (which will be small), waste gate, thicker (probably cast) header, intercooler (from this weight increase, is looking like it will be water cooled), piping (probably not aluminum).... last I was reading they were both using the 8 speed transmission.
Wondering the difference the blocks are weighing? and how much that extra weight is going to effect MGP between the two models?
I remember reading that FCA was doing everything they could to lower the weight on the JL, adding aluminum doors, hood, ect. saving around 700# over all, could the addition of the 3.0 be a big reason for that?
I am not a mid size truck aficionado, so does anyone know if these weights are comparable to trucks in the JT class? Is the 5100# average, and the 4600# low?
sorry for so many question.
After looking around it looks like the 3.0L weights in at 507 lb and the 3.6L weights in around 330 lb

JeepinGeorge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Great info ! Modest but respectable numbers. I like it :like:
Now I wonder if the 4.11 gears and manual trans will be available for the diesel.

Last edited:

Jtr042084

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In-Progress
Does anyone know what the Gladiator will have over the JLU that allows it to tow twice as much weight? The JLU & Gladiator are close to the same weight, is it the extra length?
Sponsored