Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator Pickup Engines, Tow Capacity, Max Payload Figures and Axle Ratios Revealed!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I get that they are a leisure truck but if they had a payload that was rated to 1 tonne they would have a much better chance of cementing part of the market share due to many many people like me...

I understand what you’re saying, but you’re not appreciating the challenge of your market for Wrangler products. I’ll use the generic Wrangler in the example because JT production and supply vs demand is still unknown at this point with optimistic estimates it will outsell the JL/JLU combined, and others thinking it will follow a Toyota FJ life cycle.

The Export Wranglers are Halo PR products usually used to support other vehicles and to promote the brand, they aren’t made on usual supply & demand pricing/profit concerns, so much as providing an allocation of units to these markets to add some gravy to the main course. In order to justify units to capture foreign market share, production and pricing would need to change.

The Toyota and Mazda products you speak of NEED that market, they can’t exist through domestic production alone, whereas FCA could halt export sales of Wranglers completely and have less impact to overall sales than a slow domestic sales period. So the motivation to go after that bigger chunk of the export market is limited, especially when your available added production capacity is maybe another 12,000 units if they are lucky.

Now if the JT is received more mildly, then additional capacity opens up, and then they can start thinking of what they could do to start significantly increasing sales to those export markets where there are oppotunities, because an idle plant is worse than paying to ship units around the world.
However even that strategy faces challenges from people who want to use the JT platform/frame to make a longer JL to go after the 3 row large SUV market, which is also a hot high profit segment. Thankfully they already have the Wagooner and Grand Wagoneer coming to address that market, so that option might still be available.

Of course yet another option is, if the JT is a gang-busters success in the US... AND also a roaring success in the export market, then FCA could commit to an Export JT and then build a plant specifically for that roll, in which case it would make sense to move production to a region closer to the destination markets somthat it’s not constrained by oeftover capacity,mand actually is focused on competing of providing those regions with pricing and features better fit to their situation, and not simply rebadged vehicles who primary and almost sole focus is the N.American market and its needs.

Same thing happened in the past with Jeep vs LandRover and Toy, everyone commented on the vehicles’ visibility in far flung lands as success factors, but the reality is that LR and Yota NEEDED those markets to SURVIVE/EXIST, whereas Jeep and Ford could meet all their needs with domestic sales which often dwarfed the other two’s global sales. Only recently has the export market become a focus, but even then it’s a very specific focus, like the large population growing markets like China and India, or else selling an easy to make low cost option that is easy to get into export markets especially from more local production.

It’s not a question of thinking anyone can or can’t afford it or need/use it, but it’s tough to get past some the constraints that keep it from being more available worldwide.
Sponsored

kevinspocket

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinspocket.com
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler Sport, 2016 Jeep Patriot Sport SE
Vehicle Showcase
Just realized that this is 500-750lbs less towing capacity then the Chevy Colorado :(
But remember, if the JT has lockers and can still tow 6500 lbs than you're still better off than the Colorado ZR2 which can only tow 5,000 lbs it's all relative... 6500 is more than the Toyota TRD Pro can tow as well, so JT has the best towing of any of the off road focused mid size trucks

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 OUTLANDER SPORT, 2008 BUICK ENCLAVE, 1933 CHEVY COUPE, 1968 MUSTANG
But remember, if the JT has lockers and can still tow 6500 lbs than you're still better off than the Colorado ZR2 which can only tow 5,000 lbs it's all relative... 6500 is more than the Toyota TRD Pro can tow as well, so JT has the best towing of any of the off road focused mid size trucks
and that sir, is the market they are going for...
would be awesome if they did a Baja style twin turbo V6 option, to go head to head with the V6 EcoBoost Raptor! That just me lusting though...lol

kevinspocket

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinspocket.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that would be cool, I'm just looking forward to a convertible pickup truck that I can flat-tow my TJ with :rock:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Good point as I thought the ZR2 still had the same towing capacity of the other Colorados. Didn't realize it went down.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
and that sir, is the market they are going for...
would be awesome if they did a Baja style twin turbo V6 option, to go head to head with the V6 EcoBoost Raptor! That just me lusting though...lol
Would be cool, but the JT with its SFA will never be as good in high speed stuff as IFS on the ranger. If you look at all the Trophy trucks they are IFS and most are only RWD.

The JT will be the Midsize Power Wagon compared to the Ranger being the Midsize Raptor.

kevinspocket

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinspocket.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Would be cool, but the JT with its SFA will never be as good in high speed stuff as IFS on the ranger. If you look at all the Trophy trucks they are IFS and most are only RWD.

The JT will be the Midsize Power Wagon compared to the Ranger being the Midsize Raptor.
midsize power wagon and midsize raptor are great comparisons :like:
solid front axle is another thing that makes the JT unique vs. the rest of the segment :clap:

rodhotter

Banned
Banned
First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan frontier SV 2001 audi TT 225Q
all interesting speculation, but in the end its what makes the $$$$ although the "suits" don't always get it right!!! in my area there are a lot of new Colorados + seeing how the tanks need to put a wheel on the sidewalk to angle park + can't fit in a normal sided parking spot stinks. i rarely see more than the driver + a passenger in the 4 door models! pickup's are way overpriced as was noted, it costs little more than a car to build samo the SUV's AWD or not, look at Subaru pricing you can see why they are selling well!!!! if buyers are willing to put up the big $$$$ they will continue to make them, look at the premium 4 door tanks with $10,000 off list!!!! they are raping the buyer for sure, without even a kiss!!!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd

Which if you read the recent TruckTrend / Motor Trend review of the Power Wagon vs the Raptor vs ZR2, they were surprised that in the Real World that the Raptor was the Squirrely one at high speed on even just dirt roads and the PW and ZR2 felt way more planted. That surprised the heck out of me, because I know how squirrely the Wrangler can be @ 60MPH / 100KPH on logging trails and country side-roads.

Perhaps if we all drove sand the Raptor’s IFS would be, but really most high speed runs in Pickups are dirt roads and gravel like the TruckTrend Quebec Trans-Labrador trek, and theory doesn’t seem to match reality;

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/...vs-ford-f-150-raptor-vs-ram-2500-power-wagon/

rodhotter

Banned
Banned
First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan frontier SV 2001 audi TT 225Q
short wheelbases have good points, but you found the not so good!! just like a lot of ground clearance + higher center of gravity make less stability in corners!!! things are a tradeoff when building vehicles especially when theres a pricepoint involved. cubic $$$$ can fix many issues or at least minimize them!! a friend races a buggy at a local offroad track he says a guy comes with a pro-built high $$$ machine, he ALWAYS WINS!!!

Sponsored

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
I am really hoping for a manual transmission with the diesel, though it would cost more than my four prior vehicles combined by almost 2X. I will not buy an automatic. If they don't, I'll buy the 3.6L. If there is no manual, I won't buy either.

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
I think there's very little chance they'll offer the diesel with manual. But there will be a 3.6 with manual. IMHO. If they offer the diesel with manual, and it still has a 6500 lb tow rating, I see friction blisters in my future... :surprised:

Truckasaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited 2013, Toyota Tundra 2007
1st post but I'm intrigued by some of the numbers. The wheelbase looks very similar to a RAM 1500 double cab ditto the payload. I'm kind of wondering just how long a trailer I could safely/ comfortably tow especially with a 3PP hitch like a ProPride or Hensley? My trailer is a vintage Airstream 33' hitch to bumper and should come in around 6000 lbs GVWR with 12% on the tongue. I normally shy away from near the limit tow combo's but if an eco diesel ram can tow well it seems it's just the scramblers suspension that limits it's tow capacity

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Silverado, 1981 El Camino
It sucks that 3.73s aren't being offered with the 3.6. That's just about the perfect street gear.

kevinspocket

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinspocket.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
all depends on transmission gearing... 3.45s could end up being a better combo than the 3.73s on the JK
Sponsored