Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
90B44EA2-BE86-49F7-BFC5-3707E5B72F89.jpeg
I just noticed something in a video. As everyone knows you fill up with gas on the drivers side, just forward of the rear wheel. Well that gas fill pipe runs a tad into the bed of the truck. See my attached picture. I have circled this in red. Looks like you will not be able to push the plywood sheets all the way to the back wall of the truck bed. Looks like they will stop at this point on the drivers side. Would be really bad for the weight of the plywood to break through to that gas fill pipe.
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Jeez George... Hopefully that cut out in the tin casing for the fuel is meant for plywood and other objects. They wouldn't put a box sticking out into the bed, would they?

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I can guarantee you 100 percent that this is what that cut out is for. Hopefully they made it of a very sturdy, thick metal. As you know quite often people will just slide plywood into the bed of a truck with a good and fast slide. And I could vision a large stack of plywood hitting that area with a good and fast force. Hope it was designed to withstand such force. Load carefully is all I can suggest.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
If I recall it's already 44" between the arches, so that box only has to be 2" back from the wheel arch for the plywood to rest against the back of the box.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Hauling plywood is job 1 for any pickup worthy of the name. I have to believe these engineers have gone over every scenario for something so basic when designing the bed. Surely, it won’t be a problem... right?

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Hauling plywood is job 1 for any pickup worthy of the name. I have to believe these engineers have gone over every scenario for something so basic when designing the bed. Surely, it won’t be a problem... right?
It would be the biggest blunder ever, they made the tailgate go halfway down and incorporated two 2x6 indents to support the plywood/drywall.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I’m sure somebody at an upcoming car show can measure that real quick.

FrankInNordale

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I'm doubt they care if this truck can fit plywood. Its not a work truck, its a lifestyle vehicle.

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I'm doubt they care if this truck can fit plywood. Its not a work truck, its a lifestyle vehicle.
I would agree but the dude at the unveiling was boasting that the tailgate had 3 positions: up, down, and a middle so it can haul plywood.

RTDNECO

First Name
Artie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150

Quadratec put out a video on the bed dimensions. Doesn’t address the fuel fuel bump out but good to watch nonetheless.

Sponsored

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-
LOL. Give me a break. There are plenty of buyers who would want to have that ability even if they never do haul plywood. I’d like to see how many people fit plywood driving around full size trucks. Many of these vehicles have become suburban and lifestyle trucks.

The JT will be fine hauling plywood.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL. Give me a break. There are plenty of buyers who would want to have that ability even if they never do haul plywood. I’d like to see how many people fit plywood driving around full size trucks. Many of these vehicles have become suburban and lifestyle trucks.

The JT will be fine hauling plywood.
lol, Frank is on crack.
I don't haul plywood for a living, but i would be super pissed if i have to haul my 5x8 trailer to buy plywood with my truck. Jeep clearly has looked into this thing being able to haul a 4x8 sheet with 2x6 indentations. Watch the video.

I wouldn't buy the jt just to haul plywood as i only do it 3-4 times per year, but its kind of a handyman staple.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I saw the Quadratec video and they didn’t comment on this, wonder if the guy even noticed it. So hopefully as Lrtexasman suggested someone will take a tape measure and measure the bed width at a show and let us all know. Really need to know what the bed width is minus this section. I don’t think anyone should put a large, heavy load of plywood against this area. Just my 2 cents opinion.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can't just take the measurement, you have to make sure there is a centered 48" next to the fuel buldge, can't be angled or it won't make it out the back.

If jeep missed this detail I'll eat my multi-tool brochure (without metal tool, that's a collector item).

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When jeep comes to the Milwaukee show, I'll just bring a 4x8 sheet into the show and throw it back there........that would be hilarious! :CWL:
Sponsored