Possible legality issues with a stubby bumper

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Two things. 1)All laws vigorously enforced via yearly safety exams and a look over at traffic stops. 2)Out of state vehicles are to comply with the state of registration and are allowed in other states with different regs.
Once outside of your home country? When in Rome...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Then you are experienced enough to know that "breaking" a law isn't necessary, they will create on demand the "law" they need to precipitate the desired response.

Kudos for trying to do right, but I think that you are grossly overthinking the bumper thing.
Anything so can do to not give them an excuse is one step in the right direction here. This is just one portion of my thought in this as mentioned. Another is traveling through Europe and Australia a complete Nono that would end my trip before it began. With an large investment just shipping the vehicle over.

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Have you been to Mexico?
Have you looked at their vehicles?
Do they have laws?🤷🏼
like I said it wasn’t just about Mexico. Yes I’ve been to Mexico many times. Spent almost a year there working with the Mexican Army when I was in the Service as well as further south fighting the drug war.

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
As this is a concern for you, why not just run a stock bumper?
Or if you want a stubby bumper for 'off-roading', run a bumper that can be a stubby to full wide.

I have a Paramount (in mid-width) that could be run with no extensions, mid extensions, or full extensions, so whatever you want. I am sure there are others.

bumper.jpg
I was originally considering a stumpy bumper. Due to availability and weight. But that said I do have a few requirements for a Lupercalia that the stock bumper meets. Just isn’t my cup of tea. We don’t have to have a stubby as with the camper on the back of this I won’t be out rock crawling anything beyond getting down a regular trail.

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Actually, it was an overdramatized, fictional account by a dubious author scripted for the big screen by an even more dubious author about events that may or may not have happened as described. Holding Oliver Stone as a purveyor of the truth makes about as much sense as going directly to an internet forum instead of actually putting in an ounce of research into what the laws are regarding a stubby bumper in foreign countries on the assumption that "the forum said it was okay" has any legal precedence anywhere on this planet.
Such as the assumptions you are making here that I have not put in “an ounce of research”. Opinions are like assholes. The worlds full of them. Regardless forums are for getting personal input about a subject and a good sounding board.

Sponsored

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I had a JK with the evo quarter pounder bumper with the stinger. I always wondered what the consequences would be like if I T-boned someone with the stinger. The stinger would be at head level for most passenger vehicles and if I t-boned someone, that would most likely cause some serious damage. Luckily that never happened. However, this time around I'll be keeping the mopar steel bumper is stubby form.
This has happened before. Huge lawsuit years ago. Stinger crushed a passengers head in a rear end collision. It's why I do not like Stinger bars.

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
This has happened before. Huge lawsuit years ago. Stinger crushed a passengers head in a rear end collision. It's why I do not like Stinger bars.
I remember following a thread about one of those incidents on another forum back in 2015. Since then I always had that fear of hitting another vehicle. Luckily for me I never hit anyone.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Two things. 1)All laws vigorously enforced via yearly safety exams and a look over at traffic stops. 2)Out of state vehicles are to comply with the state of registration and are allowed in other states with different regs.
Once outside of your home country? When in Rome...
That only is valid in the USA.
You come to Canada, you comply to the local regulations.
It would only be a concern if the Mounties horse doesn’t slip on a frozen Polar bear turd and actually catches you.😏

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Most US state laws that mention bumpers are only concerned with height. If I am not mistaken.

Bob Alpaca

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Occupation
Retired
Hey Stephen, (Gladiator Overland) I've got the same ideas about traveling to Latin America, and Africa. I've driven in both in rented vehicles, but I really want to take my Gladiator. The short bumper might be an issue in some countries. Dan Grec, (A Road Chose Me) is really an expert to contact, or at least read his blogs. I remember one of his blogs talked about how he even had to have reflective tape on the ends of his bumper in one country, or he would be given ticket after ticket. Good luck with the trip planning. Please keep us up to date as your plans evolve.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The Legal System and Law Enforcement can be very different in Foreign Countries. Learn the Laws and Customs of any place you plan to travel to, and be respectful and responsible while there. It will minimize any potential issues while there. Respect for Rights and Life are not the same as we expect here.
To the OP - I used to work for Compressor Controls Corp - when you hear company officers talking to someone on the phone and they are very "animated" and talking loudly and switching languages back and forth - and you realize the other party on the phone is scared shitless as he can't get out of the country he was sent to for a project - they accused him of something......... there was real fear in his voice. Normally the field engineers were told to carry $2,000 USD on them at all times and one guy used all of it to get himself out of the country - he had to pay "Exit fees" to a guy that was dressed like something out of an old movie - white suite and all.
That's the extreme, but laws DO vary. People here have no clue how lucky they are.
Our group was lucky to get out as easily as we did last weekend - mostly because I had a folder in my backpack with the color brochure for the trip, including places we'd visit, and a copy of the check we'd written for the down payment on the trip along with other papers. They finally believed that we were REALLY ordinary tourists. Until they saw those papers I had - they were not believing our reasons for staying where we stayed and visiting the places we did. We spent at least 15 minutes talking our way back out of the country.

Having just come back from weeks in Israel and short spells in Istanbul - AMEN to what Mr_Bill posted.
Americans are wimps and scofflaws where in other places, you end up with your butt in jail, a judge if you are lucky.
Laugh and brag about how you would do this or that all you want - the smirk will be wiped off that face pretty quickly in some places.

The cops carry automatic RIFLES and you don't get just one cop - you get multiples. You should have seen the scene when a bus blocked traffic for a few minutes.

(the military was also very visible now and then)

Jeep Gladiator Possible legality issues with a stubby bumper troops-20211014_120355

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I first left the USA in 1979 bound for Incerlik, Turkey. First stop-Rome with armed military guards every 20 feet or so on both sides of the concourses. Istanbul was the same with a bit of crowd chaos. Times were tough then. The Iranians caused some problems a bit later. Yeah, some of us Yanks are a bit naive with our isolated and shelterred existence.

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Hey Stephen, (Gladiator Overland) I've got the same ideas about traveling to Latin America, and Africa. I've driven in both in rented vehicles, but I really want to take my Gladiator. The short bumper might be an issue in some countries. Dan Grec, (A Road Chose Me) is really an expert to contact, or at least read his blogs. I remember one of his blogs talked about how he even had to have reflective tape on the ends of his bumper in one country, or he would be given ticket after ticket. Good luck with the trip planning. Please keep us up to date as your plans evolve.
The whole Project under Gladiator Overland is not only help me and bring my family together while traveling. Yet, also to bring attention to Stop 22 Veteran Suicides a day. We will be doing messages as well as outreach for this project. You can find us now on Instagram and we do have a YouTube. That said everything isn’t up and running 100% yet until quarter 1 2022. Will showcase build, planning, and so much more. Please give us a follow on both our social media sites.

https://linktr.ee/Gladiatoroverland

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting note that in NSW, no part of the tire can protrude outside of the fender. They must be fully within the limits of the fender.

This is what a MN trooper said in response to a question about "larger tires" -
-----------------------------------
Below are a list of equipment violations and safety issues that I have seen over the years with modified trucks:

• Bumper height violations: The law in Minnesota says bumper height must be within six inches of the factory bumper height. The maximum bumper height for 4x4s is 25 inches. Bumpers must be at least 4 1/2 inches tall and must extend 10 inches outside of each frame rail. The height of the bumper shall be determined by measuring from the bottom of the bumper, excluding any vertical bumper attachments, to the ground. A vehicle that has an original bumper that does not exceed a height of 30 inches may be modified by attaching a full width bumper to the regular bumper to meet the height requirement.

• Tires exceeding past the fenders: Installing wheels that extend outside the fenders require a fender flare. They must be at least as wide as the tires and must have a clearance of not more than nine inches from the ground when the vehicle is empty.
--------------------------------
So if you have wider wheels or tires, or wheel offsets that set the tires out, in MN you must install fender flares. The way it reads makes me think it's to control the shit your vehicle throws up and back at other traffic.

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
To the OP - I used to work for Compressor Controls Corp - when you hear company officers talking to someone on the phone and they are very "animated" and talking loudly and switching languages back and forth - and you realize the other party on the phone is scared shitless as he can't get out of the country he was sent to for a project - they accused him of something......... there was real fear in his voice. Normally the field engineers were told to carry $2,000 USD on them at all times and one guy used all of it to get himself out of the country - he had to pay "Exit fees" to a guy that was dressed like something out of an old movie - white suite and all.
That's the extreme, but laws DO vary. People here have no clue how lucky they are.
Our group was lucky to get out as easily as we did last weekend - mostly because I had a folder in my backpack with the color brochure for the trip, including places we'd visit, and a copy of the check we'd written for the down payment on the trip along with other papers. They finally believed that we were REALLY ordinary tourists. Until they saw those papers I had - they were not believing our reasons for staying where we stayed and visiting the places we did. We spent at least 15 minutes talking our way back out of the country.

Having just come back from weeks in Israel and short spells in Istanbul - AMEN to what Mr_Bill posted.
Americans are wimps and scofflaws where in other places, you end up with your butt in jail, a judge if you are lucky.
Laugh and brag about how you would do this or that all you want - the smirk will be wiped off that face pretty quickly in some places.

The cops carry automatic RIFLES and you don't get just one cop - you get multiples. You should have seen the scene when a bus blocked traffic for a few minutes.

(the military was also very visible now and then)

Jeep Gladiator Possible legality issues with a stubby bumper troops-20211014_120355
A couple things here as I think your response is correct but misplaced as in response to me. Let me try to clear up any confusion here.

First I want to thank you for your response as it hits the nail right on the head regarding corrupt officials. That said much of this is an extreme.

Now my experiences are not the norm, as well as being extra cautious because of my previous employment.Ley me just try to simplify this and give you an idea of my experiences without going into detail. I spenta Good amount of time during my career in Mexico, Central, and South America. Much of this was in support of the Drug War. That said, this could cause some very serious issues down there if while traveling I am detained and information gets into the wrong hands. It would be bad enough to just be traveling by myself, but traveling with my family I am attempting to what I can to not become a target. Much of that is not hanging around cities or staying in them, not traveling after dark, traveling in groups, etc. Especially, since I would not be there in any official capacity. Without any real support except what efforts I put into effect myself. Much of this is in the planning stages and working with some “friends” to help ensure we have contingency plans. I was drilled being a gray man when out like this especially overseas. I definitely take this to heart.
Now all said one of these areas in the planning and build stage is to do what I can to minimize or eliminate these encounters. I’m also aware that no matter what one does there can be situations where situations can not be avoided. This is what the contingency plans are for. Which as mentioned will be about $1k in USD for the extreme situations and where other means are unavoidable. That with all my safety, comm, and if needed other plans can go into effect. Which the latter are difficult traveling with my spouse and service animal especially. Anyways I am with you. But also not afraid to the point of being scared shitless for myself. I will plan how I can and do everything in my power to keep my spouse safe while traveling. Plan for the worst situation and hope for the best. Even if that means altering travel plans depending on what the Department of State has to say about these areas. In fact one of the reasons why right now we adjusted our original plans to avoid Columbia and Argentina as well as some Mexican States. Instead of our original plan of traveling the whole PanAmerican hwy we are now just traveling down to Baja Mexico.

All said, one can only do so much and still be able to travel. One of the areas we would love to be able To do is Australia and Europe and although I do not fear corrupt cops or my or families safety there I am asking such questions as this to better plan my build to prevent any undue issues.

I am leaning towards the ARB bumper fir the price but really like the AEV option if it ever gets released. Thanks fir your reply I do appreciate it. I just wanted to clarify some things here that I believe you got a bit off base about what I was asking or said.
Sponsored