First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
Local, state, provincial and territorial laws my differ. Thats the best answer. Most I assume yes it is illegal and most if not all vehicle are crash rated with full width bumpers. But damn stubbys look good!

A065BAB0-5B03-4565-AE23-FBF022AA564B.jpeg
i am
Definitely willing to push some things. I prefer a higher bumper really. Clearance is good enough to get away with full width bumpers that have a higher side profile than stock. Like the AEV full or the arb full. My preference especially when out west having some sort of hoop to help with plain goat impacts.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gladiator Overland

Gladiator Overland

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubi Diesel. Toyota 4Runner
At least here in the US it seems that the traditional bumper laws do not apply to SUVs, and trucks. Certainly not a definitive answer but at least a good understanding for here in the USA.

https://sparebumper.com/federal-bumper-standards/
Yes federally they are ok. But in a plethora of states there are codes where the bumper must extend at least half way through the tread. Top of my head what Iā€™ve found is Wisconsin, Illinois, PA. I am sure there are other too, that said I canā€™t say itā€™s such a huge deal in the US. Could be if you live in the state yourself. As you could have issues with inspections and many tickets if I forced. Otherwise having an out of state tag gives you a good amount of luxury against some local regulations.
I do plan to try to mitigate some of these things since right now I will be traveling North and South of the Border. Eventually down to South America and hopefully Australia and Europe. Iā€™d love to do Africa but time will tell and all these have their own issues with the emissions on the vehicle and taking only ULSD.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
You must be a blast at parties.

My advice for you regarding your bumper is to stop watching Midnight Express.
You do realize that was a true story correct?

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I am fun enough to know what foreign jails looks like. Fun enough to have done tours down in South America enough where a corrupt cop gets my info and checks with his cartel buddies enough at that point to put my families safety in jeopardy. Itā€™s no joke, same reason I am finding alternatives to protect ourselves if needed as I wonā€™t be carrying a firearm South of the Border. Something Iā€™ve always been taught in many ways. Be the grey man, though honestly am bucking it a good bit in a new vehicle and not an older rover or land cruiser. But staying out of the cities and not traveling at night will do wonders. The more I can do to alleviate any possible issues the better our trip will be. I am far from worried about the United States honestly. This is just something that I did not consider before being an issue. Something now I will need to do some quick research for possible issues in the future as we travel. Avoiding them headfirst and the expense in the build. I was hoping others had some experiences with this not just retort.
Then you are experienced enough to know that "breaking" a law isn't necessary, they will create on demand the "law" they need to precipitate the desired response.

Kudos for trying to do right, but I think that you are grossly overthinking the bumper thing.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
But want to not have to spend money twice in a bumper if it is indeed true. especially if I will run into issues down in Mexico or South America.
Have you been to Mexico?
Have you looked at their vehicles?
Do they have laws?šŸ¤·šŸ¼

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
I had stubby on my JK for years. I was once pulled over by a trooper in NJ (for speeding not the the mods) he told me the bumper as well as my light bar were illegal. He didnā€™t ticket me, or even give me a warning for them. But he did mention it.

You sir are correct, I bought most of the stuff described from a Jeep guy who was going to be a NJ Trooper, They frowned upon his Jeep highly, told him it would be best to remove everything!

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Yes federally they are ok. But in a plethora of states there are codes where the bumper must extend at least half way through the tread. Top of my head what Iā€™ve found is Wisconsin, Illinois, PA.
I do not believe stubby bumpers are illegal in Pennsylvania. I can't find that law. Here is what I've found:

"Bumpers - A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with bumpers of a type used as
original equipment, or suitable replacement which is equal to or greater in strength than that provided by the
vehicle manufacturer, securely attached to the chassis or frame. See 75 Pa.C.S. Ā§ 4536 (relating to bumpers).
(1) A bumper shall be of at least equivalent strength and mounting as the original equipment.
(2) No portion of a bumper may be broken, torn or protruding to create a hazard.
(3) A bumper may not extend beyond the body line or be longer than original equipment, whichever is
greater.
(4) A wood plank bumper is permitted on a road service truck or wrecker if it is firmly attached to a regular
bumper or equivalent steel backing.
(5) Some part of the main horizontal bumper bar on passenger vehicles shall fall within 16-20 inches above
ground level.
(6) Some part of the main horizontal bumper bar on multipurpose passenger vehicles and light trucks shall
fall within 16-30 inches above ground level."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...MQFnoECBEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw12sYWXJmhjvI5Mrlo0i3ep

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
I would rather not have to deal with issues of getting pulled over or having the deal with bribes by corrupt police.
As this is a concern for you, why not just run a stock bumper?
Or if you want a stubby bumper for 'off-roading', run a bumper that can be a stubby to full wide.

I have a Paramount (in mid-width) that could be run with no extensions, mid extensions, or full extensions, so whatever you want. I am sure there are others.

Jeep Gladiator Possible legality issues with a stubby bumper bumper

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Concerning SA and MX- it may or may not be legal, and that will have zero bearing on if youā€™re pulled over. If they want to, they will.

Sponsored

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
You do realize that was a true story correct?
Actually, it was an overdramatized, fictional account by a dubious author scripted for the big screen by an even more dubious author about events that may or may not have happened as described. Holding Oliver Stone as a purveyor of the truth makes about as much sense as going directly to an internet forum instead of actually putting in an ounce of research into what the laws are regarding a stubby bumper in foreign countries on the assumption that "the forum said it was okay" has any legal precedence anywhere on this planet.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
As this is a concern for you, why not just run a stock bumper?
Or if you want a stubby bumper for 'off-roading', run a bumper that can be a stubby to full wide.

I have a Paramount (in mid-width) that could be run with no extensions, mid extensions, or full extensions, so whatever you want. I am sure there are others.

Jeep Gladiator Possible legality issues with a stubby bumper bumper
Would you happen to have pics of that in all three stages attached to your Jeep? And is the bar removable?
Iā€™ll DDG if not. Thanks

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Would you happen to have pics of that in all three stages attached to your Jeep? And is the bar removable?
Iā€™ll DDG if not. Thanks
Below are 'factory photos' so you can see the mid-length and full-length on a Jeep. They don't sell the bumper without the ends but they are very easy to remove or swap as 4 studs per side (so one wrench) that are behind the bumper running parallel. A very strong attachment IMO. And yes the guard bar is removable. I have to say I am extremely happy with that bumper and being stamped (the bumper, the winch mount is welded plate) is it fairly lightweight which was a primary concern of mine.
Jeep Gladiator Possible legality issues with a stubby bumper 2021-10-18_08h47_46

Jeep Gladiator Possible legality issues with a stubby bumper 2021-10-18_08h47_57

And with the ends and guard bar removed (via photochop)
Jeep Gladiator Possible legality issues with a stubby bumper chopped

These are photos of @hockeymonkeymark bumper installed
Jeep Gladiator Possible legality issues with a stubby bumper 5915C5E3-D4DD-47BE-9549-E16C16AEC706

Jeep Gladiator Possible legality issues with a stubby bumper CFB1491F-0FC1-4F96-8189-0ED6B060D770

The one above is a very good photo of the 'seam line' for the end caps.
Those four holes on top are normally filled with plugs, but his came without them (mine had them)

Drew18337

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator, 22 Mitsubishi Outlander
Occupation
Freight Train Conductor
You sir are correct, I bought most of the stuff described from a Jeep guy who was going to be a NJ Trooper, They frowned upon his Jeep highly, told him it would be best to remove everything!
Sucks for him. Probably a nice deal for you.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Concerning SA and MX- it may or may not be legal, and that will have zero bearing on if youā€™re pulled over. If they want to, they will.
Absolutely, nothing says revenue opportunity more than a new rig with foreign tags on it.
Sponsored