Sponsored

Powerstation to use with bed outlet (Jackery, etc)

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
So,

I have a small electric cooler that I haul in the bed on road trips hooked up to the AC plug.

Alpicool C40

What I don't like is that it only has power when engine is running.

I was thinking of getting a small powerstation that has passthru..like a Jackery or something to use for when we stop for food, etc and the engine will be off for hour+. Essentially a make shift battery backup. I believe the Jackery models allow charging while using.

I also have some electric scooters I haul sometimes that I charge off the bed outlet.

But that is about it for "load" off the outlet.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Sponsored

gonzoy5

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I'm in the same boat, but you missed one thing. Leaving the car in Acc or Run (but without engine running) will keep the power running to the back. There's a 30 minute limit with Acc though, not sure about Run. Will at least keep it running while you step out for gas, lunch, etc.

That said, I use a Goal Zero Yeti 400 to power this at camp. I don't like keeping this in the bed so I'm actually about to figure how to run just a regular 12v Extension (25ft from Amazon) from inside the cabin to the back of the bed to just have the fridge powered by the Yeti the entire time. I can then keep the Yeti connected to charge while on the move with the 12v in the rear seat. I already use the extension around camp and it works perfect, so now I just want it cleaner and coming out in the bed near the 12v outlet. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
rafaelsmith

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks...never even thought about ACC/RUN. That might be good enough for most occasions.

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.6JLUR6MT HellaYella SkyTop, 3.8JKUX6MT RedRock HalfDoors, Deciding on JTRD or JTR4xe
I use Ecoflow River 600. Recharge is the quickest in any of 3 ways and can support up to 1200w electrical appliance and can also be used as UPS. It can also be expanded when need arise.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
how often are you using this? running an inverter for what is more than likely a DC powered device isn't the most efficent. I know people on here have ran 12volt outlets to the bed before. You could wire it to be always live.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rafaelsmith

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
how often are you using this? running an inverter for what is more than likely a DC powered device isn't the most efficent. I know people on here have ran 12volt outlets to the bed before. You could wire it to be always live.
Not very often. Maybe 2-3 times a year ...8-10 hour road trips.

This cooler barely draws anything so I am not really all the concerned about being efficient. The AC outlet in the bed is convenient. IF its just wife and I then I put the cooler in the back seat and use 12v.

If it will run for 30min on ACC that will be good enough for most stops we do.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I lived out of my truck for 2 weeks this spring with my 35qt ARB fridge plugged into the bed outlet only. We were driving a fair amount every day so it wasn't an issue being powered down over night ever. I could see if you were to park for most of the day while opening the cooler many times, it could be a problem.

I now have my 50qt ARB in the back seat wired into the constant powered circuit in the AUX switch wiring bundle. I will also have the 35qt in the back seat for an upcoming 2 week trip where we will be parked a fair amount or the time and one of them will be used as a freezer. I have purchased a Jackery 1500 for making coffee, running my smoker, and possibly backup for the coolers? Ill be towing my Tentrax trailer which is equipped with a 55am AGM battery and 85w solar panel. I have made up a pigtail to tie the trailer power to the 7way trailer connector so the truck is powered off the solar too........ I'm testing that setup right now in the back yard and I also have an unmounted 135w solar panel

I have also bee eyballing the Cascadia 4X4 hood mounted solar panel, but cost per watt is way up there and the small 30w panel that's offered up for the Rubi hood isn't all that much in the scheme of things.

The obvious cheap solution is to get 12V in the bed and that could be combined with a power station solution of your choice for your other uses. All comes down to how much or little you will be driving daily and the ambient temps. The smart alternator is not kind to us in this situation.......

Rammer500

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 2 Door Rubicon
I have a Jackery 500 and I use that for what you want to do. It will pass thru charge while powering the fridge. When the Jeep is off it runs the fridge and when started back up the Jackery recharges.
Charging off the 115 volt port will charge at 82 watts and when charging off 12 volt will charge at 44 watts, so using the bed 115 volt port will be a faster charge. You'll have to remember to turn your power back on in the truck. I use the interior 115, that's alway on when running, for mine. I plug the fridge into to the 12 volt port on the Jackery.
My Fridge uses about 40 watts when running, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm not sure how long it will run the fridge between charges, but should be more than a day.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a Jackery 500 and I use that for what you want to do. It will pass thru charge while powering the fridge. When the Jeep is off it runs the fridge and when started back up the Jackery recharges.
Charging off the 115 volt port will charge at 82 watts and when charging off 12 volt will charge at 44 watts, so using the bed 115 volt port will be a faster charge. You'll have to remember to turn your power back on in the truck. I use the interior 115, that's alway on when running, for mine. I plug the fridge into to the 12 volt port on the Jackery.
My Fridge uses about 40 watts when running, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm not sure how long it will run the fridge between charges, but should be more than a day.
Jackery 500 has 500wh storage no? 40 watt draw from your fridge is 12 hours run time on the jackery. I would think that could get a person through most of a day, but the problem is withe the recharge time......6 hours to return 500wh is a long time. Can you charge with 120 and 12v at the same time?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Not very often. Maybe 2-3 times a year ...8-10 hour road trips.

This cooler barely draws anything so I am not really all the concerned about being efficient. The AC outlet in the bed is convenient. IF its just wife and I then I put the cooler in the back seat and use 12v.

If it will run for 30min on ACC that will be good enough for most stops we do.
Not bad at all then, ACC is the way to go since those Jackery things are not cheap at all

Sponsored

Rammer500

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 2 Door Rubicon
You have to remember that the fridge doesn't run non stop, it cycles on and off. You can only use one source at a time to recharge. We use ours when we travel, so recharging is never an issue for us.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Jackery 500 has 500wh storage no? 40 watt draw from your fridge is 12 hours run time on the jackery. I would think that could get a person through most of a day, but the problem is withe the recharge time......6 hours to return 500wh is a long time. Can you charge with 120 and 12v at the same time?
I have a Bluetti AC50s which is also 500wh. I've ran my 65l fridge for 27 hours straight in the back of my suv with day temp of 80s. It's not drawing 40w straight. When it gets to temp, it may not be drawing much of anything, depending on ambient temp.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a Bluetti AC50s which is also 500wh. I've ran my 65l fridge for 27 hours straight in the back of my suv with day temp of 80s. It's not drawing 40w straight. When it gets to temp, it may not be drawing much of anything, depending on ambient temp.
Agreed, however I never said the coolers ran 24 hours a day. I quoted run time which will vary on ambient temp and any number or other factors.

I'm running 2 ARB's set to 26° in the back seat of my JT right now without any issues on the stock battery. Only drops to 12.3v overnight. My Jackery 1500 dropped 5% over 7 hours today.

How did we ever live without these modern marvels? I try to talk to a Yeti lovers about them and they just don't get it.......

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Agreed, however I never said the coolers ran 24 hours a day. I quoted run time which will vary on ambient temp and any number or other factors.

I'm running 2 ARB's set to 26° in the back seat of my JT right now without any issues on the stock battery. Only drops to 12.3v overnight. My Jackery 1500 dropped 5% over 7 hours today.

How did we ever live without these modern marvels? I try to talk to a Yeti lovers about them and they just don't get it.......
These solar chargers are game changer especially with the amount of electronics we carry nowadays. I can hook up my solar panel and can run the fridge indefinitely..as long as there's sunlight. Got a second panel for when there's less than optimal sun. Have a dual battery system on my other truck and this is so much better.

Bremen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Sting Gray, 2017 VW Golf Alltrack
The Jackery, and others like it, can handle passthru but this will quickly reduce the lifespan of the device. I have a Jackery 240 and use it for my Alpicool C35 but try to limit the passthru as much as possible. I have the fridge running off the 12V ACC and only if I stop over 30 minutes will I plug it in to the Jackery.
If you have the AUX switches you can run direct power to a 12V outlet with a supplied wire under the dash. I will go with this option once I add a dual battery system.
Sponsored