Sponsored

Preventative work based on FCA Tech Service Bulletins (i.e. faulty electrical wire harnesses)

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Question might sound silly, but if an official TSB is released on faulty electrical wire harnesses, and the harnesses are located in the same location from Gladiator to Gladiator, shouldn't I have the right to request the issue be corrected before it leaves me stranded with a christmas tree for a dash?
Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
What is the TSB?

OP
OP
Mister Lamb

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
What is the TSB?
I have to find it, read it on here a day or two ago. Was a TSB for an electrical harness that was cutting into wires based on bad location and was causing electrical issues. That was just an example though. Another would be a TSB for suspension hardware. Don't recall the component (read last week) but Mopar recommended a bolt about 20mm longer than what factory installed. If we all have the same hardware and it's being acknowledged in a TSB, do we have the right to request preventative repair?

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
If we all have the same hardware and it's being acknowledged in a TSB, do we have the right to request preventative repair?
I believe we do, but I don't think many dealers will honor that. I talked to my dealer recently about a TSB for suspension stuff. The service writer (who was lying) said he didn't know of any TSB's. But he did say that unless the tech can verify the concern they won't do it. I dont think that is right by any means. but probably because warranty work pays crap and they won't volunteer to do that unless there is an active problem.

Dont get me wrong I think that is very wrong. I think they are obligated to do it if we request it. But I dont think that's how it actually works just because of how people are lately. I realize this is a negative way to look at it but my last many experiences with dealers are not particularly positive. I'm sure there are some out there that would do it. And if there is a customer complaint I think that is all that is technically required to perform the TSB.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It depends on the wording in the TSB. Some are VIN range, some are production date, some are model or year specific. Some require them to verify the issue, some state to fix on customer complaint. A TSB is not the same as a recall, you don't have the right to demand the work be done. Many times, the TSB is just instructions on how to repair a specific issue that the customer may complain about. The dealer has to make sure they will get paid for the warranty claim, so they may refuse to do the work unless conditions give them reasonable assurance of getting paid.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mister Lamb

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
It depends on the wording in the TSB. Some are VIN range, some are production date, some are model or year specific. Some require them to verify the issue, some state to fix on customer complaint. A TSB is not the same as a recall, you don't have the right to demand the work be done. Many times, the TSB is just instructions on how to repair a specific issue that the customer may complain about. The dealer has to make sure they will get paid for the warranty claim, so they may refuse to do the work unless conditions give them reasonable assurance of getting paid.
Recalls are safety related and I understand the two are not the same. My gripe is that TSBs indicate a widespread issue that the manufacturer is openly acknowledging.

"A “TSB” or technical service bulletin is an alert from the manufacturer for your model that advises a dealer’s repair shop of a reported problem that many owners of the same model are experiencing and verifies the recommended “fix” for that particular problem." A TSB fix or repair is paid for if the vehicle is still under the manufacturer’s original warranty, however, if the vehicle is outside of the specified warranty period or mileage, the owner must bear the cost of the repairs."

If the case for some of these TSBs is a matter of when and not if, why should I be bearing the cost of repair the manufacturer openly acknowledged they were at fault for? I just see TSBs as "this is how your truck should've been before it left the factory and we're just realizing we f-d up... anyways you're gonna have to pay for us to fix it."

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I think the suspension short bolt TSB he is referring to is the rear sway bar upper mount bolt. Do not know TSB, but thread about the reinforcing brace to prevent the bracket breaking references it and gives the part number for factory bolt, I ordered two for $7.00…..Jack
Jeep Gladiator Preventative work based on FCA Tech Service Bulletins (i.e. faulty electrical wire harnesses) 1A8943E6-6976-49E4-89D7-3F65299195E6

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I have to find it, read it on here a day or two ago. Was a TSB for an electrical harness that was cutting into wires based on bad location and was causing electrical issues. That was just an example though. Another would be a TSB for suspension hardware. Don't recall the component (read last week) but Mopar recommended a bolt about 20mm longer than what factory installed. If we all have the same hardware and it's being acknowledged in a TSB, do we have the right to request preventative repair?
Regarding the bolt, there was no TSB. Mopar simply updated the part number in the catalog to a longer bolt. Whether it was based on feedback from customers and dealers reporting lost or missing bolts is unknown.

To your broader question, I agree that anyone aware of a relevant TSB should be able to go to the dealer and have the work done. That's not reality. Just my personal opinion.
It seems that a TSB is a "We know it's a problem, but there's no need for a recall" kind of solution. No knowledge of the industry, but I wonder if TSB gets the manufacturer off the recall hook for a longer period of time, or perhaps it's just a numbers thing whereas the problem isn't proven widespread enough to warrant a recall yet.

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
Actually, a TSB is factory directions for a repair that may or may not use updated parts to correct an issue that may exist. If there are updated parts to be used, the TSB lists them. An example is the steering box TSB. Not all JL and JT steering boxes cause wandering steering, but some do. In those cases, the TSB tells the dealership of the factory approved repair and parts to be used. If there is a problem that always should be corrected, such an a brake line bracket that is loose, an RRT (Rapid Response Transmittal) would be issued. Dealerships are not supposed to sell any vehicle with an open Recall or RRT without performing the work specified.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Recalls are safety related and I understand the two are not the same. My gripe is that TSBs indicate a widespread issue that the manufacturer is openly acknowledging.

"A “TSB” or technical service bulletin is an alert from the manufacturer for your model that advises a dealer’s repair shop of a reported problem that many owners of the same model are experiencing and verifies the recommended “fix” for that particular problem." A TSB fix or repair is paid for if the vehicle is still under the manufacturer’s original warranty, however, if the vehicle is outside of the specified warranty period or mileage, the owner must bear the cost of the repairs."

If the case for some of these TSBs is a matter of when and not if, why should I be bearing the cost of repair the manufacturer openly acknowledged they were at fault for? I just see TSBs as "this is how your truck should've been before it left the factory and we're just realizing we f-d up... anyways you're gonna have to pay for us to fix it."
"Widespread" is a loose term here. Typically TSBs are typically issued for issues that have been escalated to engineering a few times where it's a real possibility for a particular subset of owner use cases. It does no mean all of the vehicles are at risk and most of the time, they just turn owners into hypochondriacs looking for issues they don't have. They are technician information issued to assist in diagnosis and nothing more.

I haven't seen a TSB for a wiring harness but if it was something that would do what you're afraid of, it would be a recall, not a TSB.

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
"Widespread" is a loose term here. Typically TSBs are typically issued for issues that have been escalated to engineering a few times where it's a real possibility for a particular subset of owner use cases. It does no mean all of the vehicles are at risk and most of the time, they just turn owners into hypochondriacs looking for issues they don't have. They are technician information issued to assist in diagnosis and nothing more.

I haven't seen a TSB for a wiring harness but if it was something that would do what you're afraid of, it would be a recall, not a TSB.
Well put. Before the wide spread availability of TSBs on the internet, vehicles generally were taken to the dealership when there was an actual problem, or the owner thought that there was a problem. I have worked in dealership service departments since the mid nineties ( and on vehicles since the early seventies), and have seen the change caused by people reading TSBs that they think applies to their vehicle. I haven't thought of them as "hypochondriacs" before, but that is a perfect description. Another side effect of all the mis-applied TSBs is a perception that any vehicle, especially domestic brands, is full of problems waiting to happen.
Sponsored