Prototype phone dock adaptor for key holder

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜00 LR Disco II, ā€˜17 Toyota Sienna
Hi guys... A little off topic but hopefully not too much. I understand that the USB input is for my standard charging cable etc, but what about the USB c inputs? Would you use that with a double ended USB c cable ? And for what reason/benefit. Please excuse my obvious stupidity
Thanks
A lot of newer, particularly Android, phones are coming with USB-C ports. Itā€™s a much better port than USB-A (the standard rectangle), because itā€™s reversible, carries more power, and has a higher transfer rate. Thereā€™s also been several rumors that next gen iPhones will ditch the lightning connector for USB-C.

GoProā€™s are also USB-C, as Iā€™m sure many other cameras are, for the reasons cited above.

Pretty good forethought from FCA in my opinion, as more devices switch over. Obviously they could have just left USB-A ports everywhere and expected people to use a C to A cord (much like a lightning to USB).
Sponsored

Craig rubi

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
A lot of newer, particularly Android, phones are coming with USB-C ports. Itā€™s a much better port than USB-A (the standard rectangle), because itā€™s reversible, carries more power, and has a higher transfer rate. Thereā€™s also been several rumors that next gen iPhones will ditch the lightning connector for USB-C.

GoProā€™s are also USB-C, as Iā€™m sure many other cameras are, for the reasons cited above.

Pretty good forethought from FCA in my opinion, as more devices switch over. Obviously they could have just left USB-A ports everywhere and expected people to use a C to A cord (much like a lightning to USB).
Thanks so much for the reply. So going forward we will be using cables with usb-c on both ends?
I have a usb c type connection on my current phone, just not sure how I would connect that to a usb c connector in the Jeep unless I had a double ended USB c type cable.
Forgive my ignorance on this please.
And I totally agree with you that fca providing the most up to date connections is really awesome.

Last edited:

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much for the reply. So going forward we will be using cables with usb-c on both ends?
I have a usb c type connection on my current phone, just not sure how I would connect that to a usb c connector in the Jeep unless I had a double ended USB c type cable.
Forgive my ignorance on this please.
And I totally agree with you that fca providing the most up to date connections is really awesome.
I think eventually that might be the case. Cables tend to change pretty frequently, but USB-A has been a standard for a very long time though. I think with NFC and wireless charging, cords are eventually going to go away completely. In the interim, USB-C makes a lot of a sense, but USB-A wonā€™t go away completely I donā€™t think. Thereā€™s just too many devices out there that still work really well using USB-A. Sort of how you still see 1/8ā€ stereo adapters even though a USB connection (whether lightning or USB-A/C, whatever) works better and provides charging at the same time.

Iā€™m just an enthusiast so I could be completely wrong. Not sure if there are any tech professionals on here with better industry knowledge?

Craig rubi

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I think eventually that might be the case. Cables tend to change pretty frequently, but USB-A has been a standard for a very long time though. I think with NFC and wireless charging, cords are eventually going to go away completely. In the interim, USB-C makes a lot of a sense, but USB-A wonā€™t go away completely I donā€™t think. Thereā€™s just too many devices out there that still work really well using USB-A. Sort of how you still see 1/8ā€ stereo adapters even though a USB connection (whether lightning or USB-A/C, whatever) works better and provides charging at the same time.

Iā€™m just an enthusiast so I could be completely wrong. Not sure if there are any tech professionals on here with better industry knowledge?
Thank you again for the response. Hopefully someone can advise why I need all the c type inputs to the vehicle and why and how they are currently usable without a double ended c type cable. Either way, better to have them than not I am sure.

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you again for the response. Hopefully someone can advise why I need all the c type inputs to the vehicle and why and how they are currently usable without a double ended c type cable. Either way, better to have them than not I am sure.
I certainly wouldnā€™t rush out and buy any new cables. Even my GoPro has a USB-C to USB-A. I typically use my MacBook charger cable though because then Iā€™m only carrying one cable (itā€™s C to C).

Theyā€™re faster, both charging and data transfer. What I donā€™t know though is what power the gladiator ports push. I donā€™t think you need a faster data rate for music or whatever, so itā€™s really just how much power is being pushed. Likely theyā€™re the same voltage for all grouped ports, but I donā€™t know.

Again, these are really just for newer devices that come with these cables. For instance the newer Google Pixel phones (maybe the old ones too, I dunno) come with a C to C cable. If FCA didnā€™t include those ports, somebody might jump to another vehicle rather than buying a $20 cord. Maybe some people are picky like that.

Sponsored

Craig rubi

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I certainly wouldnā€™t rush out and buy any new cables. Even my GoPro has a USB-C to USB-A. I typically use my MacBook charger cable though because then Iā€™m only carrying one cable (itā€™s C to C).

Theyā€™re faster, both charging and data transfer. What I donā€™t know though is what power the gladiator ports push. I donā€™t think you need a faster data rate for music or whatever, so itā€™s really just how much power is being pushed. Likely theyā€™re the same voltage for all grouped ports, but I donā€™t know.

Again, these are really just for newer devices that come with these cables. For instance the newer Google Pixel phones (maybe the old ones too, I dunno) come with a C to C cable. If FCA didnā€™t include those ports, somebody might jump to another vehicle rather than buying a $20 cord. Maybe some people are picky like that.
Thanks. Much appreciated. Just checked with my wife and she says there are a lot of new phone chargers etc out there that when detached from the AC adaptor are actually double ended c type cables. That is probably the answer to my question.
Thank you and sorry for my limited intellect.

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Honestly I bought a couple usb c cables off Amazon on the cheap, something like $10 for two cables (nice cables with a paracord type wrap to protect the cable and it looks nice). I actually only wanted 3 foot cables and that's what I ordered but they sent me 6 foot cables. I did this specifically because my android uses usb c and there was a usb c port on the dash and it takes up much less space than my car charger and it makes all of the android auto crap work, even though I really only use android auto for google maps. I doubt apple will go USB in the next generation or two as they like making a few extra bucks from proprietary hardware. I just can't figure out why Jeep didn't take the extra initiative to put a usb c slot in the armrest because I probably would just chuck my phone in there and hope I remember to grab my phone.

magicmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2015 Subaru STI
Another really cheap option is look for the cables that have the built in 180 connector on them like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D13HX3L/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2QG76CSCOHRFL&psc=1

My phone (Galaxy S8) is wide enough to sit on the little ledges in the center part of the cup holder, that combined with the above cable I have a place to set my phone while it's plugged in, and still retain the cup holders.

I'm also an engineer with a 3D printer, and love the ideas posted earlier, just hate relying on the cord to hold up with a tight kink in it, and the plug having all the load of the phone on it, I may still combine the above linked cord with a little bit of a base, but so far my phone hasn't been moving around enough for me to be worried.

primethios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT