First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Eco-Diesel
Occupation
Police Officer
I have a 2022 Rubicon with the factory steel bumper. It has the removable plate to install a winch. If I use this to install a winch what other components will I need to complete the install?
Sponsored

Sempe-Fi Rubicon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR - 2018 BMW 430i
Occupation
Retired
All you'll need to install is a winch plate. I highly recommend the Bulldog plate, just installed it last week, very beefy and well made.

OP
OP
Belcher24256

Belcher24256

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
All you'll need to install is a winch plate. I highly recommend the Bulldog plate, just installed it last week, very beefy and well made.
Thank you sir! I will take a look at that. I figured there was something I would need for the mount aside from the upgraded bumper itself.

Sempe-Fi Rubicon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR - 2018 BMW 430i
Occupation
Retired

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, wish I had used the spacers - and your wider bar, as your install is a lot cleaner and better clearance for the lever. Good combination of parts.

Sponsored

Sempe-Fi Rubicon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR - 2018 BMW 430i
Occupation
Retired
Yes, wish I had used the spacers - and your wider bar, as your install is a lot cleaner and better clearance for the lever. Good combination of parts.
Thank you sir.

OP
OP
Belcher24256

Belcher24256

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer

Sempe-Fi Rubicon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR - 2018 BMW 430i
Occupation
Retired
I looked at both links and they are reasonably priced. How heavy of a winch do I need for my Rubicon Diesel? It weighs around 6000lbs with no load.
Most suggest a winch capable twice your vehicle weight. I figured 12000 good for me, plus using a snatch block when possible,

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Most suggest a winch capable twice your vehicle weight.
I went with the 12,000 Badland Apex because although I likely won't be pulling my jeep up a steep incline while it's buried in mucky mud while loaded with stuff - I often use it for other stuff, and heavier than needed is better than not quite as heavy as needed.
But you can also double the pull with snatch blocks and creative rigging - even triple the pull, or cut the load on the winch, with snatch blocks and stuff.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Belcher24256

Belcher24256

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
I went with the 12,000 Badland Apex because although I likely won't be pulling my jeep up a steep incline while it's buried in mucky mud while loaded with stuff - I often use it for other stuff, and heavier than needed is better than not quite as heavy as needed.
But you can also double the pull with snatch blocks and creative rigging - even triple the pull, or cut the load on the winch, with snatch blocks and stuff.
I was counting on getting some snatch blocks as I have watched wrecker services use them over the years I’ve been a cop. They seem to work really well for them when a straight connection failed to give them the pulling power they needed. My brother just got that same winch you have and is happy with it so far but uses it on a much bigger and heavier truck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I worked for a shop that ran 2 wreckers and it's amazing what the boss could do - how he could pull, lift, whatever. He towed for regular customers, plus the IHP and Altoona, Iowa police dept - accident calls, impounds, whatever.

And these things can be useful for ordinary tasks, taking the grunt out of a task - snatch block on front of trailer.....he steered the car while I ran the winch and watched the alignment of the car on the ramps and on the trailer via wireless remote.

Jeep Gladiator Question about a winch install? PXL_20230625_191735806.MP

Proof - they aren't just for off-roading ;)

OP
OP
Belcher24256

Belcher24256

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
I worked for a shop that ran 2 wreckers and it's amazing what the boss could do - how he could pull, lift, whatever. He towed for regular customers, plus the IHP and Altoona, Iowa police dept - accident calls, impounds, whatever.

And these things can be useful for ordinary tasks, taking the grunt out of a task - snatch block on front of trailer.....he steered the car while I ran the winch and watched the alignment of the car on the ramps and on the trailer via wireless remote.

Jeep Gladiator Question about a winch install? PXL_20230625_191735806.MP

Proof - they aren't just for off-roading ;)
That is an everyday use of something most consider just for off road. I like it!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
While agree that the Badlands 12K winch is a great winch and very well priced I recently read that on the ‘24 Wrangler you can get a factory installed Warn winch…and it’s only 8K!

OP
OP
Belcher24256

Belcher24256

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
While agree that the Badlands 12K winch is a great winch and very well priced I recently read that on the ‘24 Wrangler you can get a factory installed Warn winch…and it’s only 8K!
Questioning 8000 lbs or 8000 bucks? Inflation you know is bad….
Sponsored