Sponsored

Rattle from engine when accelerating (sounds like keys)

bwm2020

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Production Manager @ Technicoat Corp. (powder coating) Owner of NuPowder Designs (Custom Powder Coating)
So for 10 months now and 18,000 (started around 18-20k ,38000 on it now) miles I have been trying to get and rattling noise from the engine when accelerating from low speeds 15-30 figured out and Jeep has no idea.
when cruising between 15-30 and slowly accelerate it sounds like a a quick rattle of keys for about 1-2 seconds. Sometimes longer when going up an incline.
1st time they said they couldn’t hear it. 2nd time dealership kept and the tech drove and couldn’t hear it again. I asked for him to ride with me so I could point out what noise I’m talking about. I was able to get him to hear it and he had no idea what it was. They did research and told me to run Shell 93 octane for several tanks. Noise was not as consistent but was still there. Took it back in and they kept it a few more days. No clue. Finally @JeepCares got involved after I sent an email complaining. Next was (they thought) replace the intermediate drive shaft. The original shaft had some wear on the gasket/bushing on the end. Replaced, tech said it was fixed and for me to come and drive it. Drive it and I was STILL able to mimic the noise that I had been complaining about. So that didn’t fix the issue. Waited a few weeks again for the next step. Took it back in they were going to look further into shaft area, well they added an octane booster. Called me and said it was fixed. Me, not being too confident picked it up drove around the dealership and didn’t make the noise then. The next morning it all started back. What the heck!!!! This has been residuals for a 50k + brand new vehicle to sound like a 30yr old car with a bad rattle. Very noticeable when windows are down and sometime even with windows up. Nobody had a fix or even knows what the issue is. My problem is that is coming from the engine and it’s not supposed to be making that noise. What if something internally is off and ruins the motor????? very frustrated!!

Anyone else having this issue? If so what was the fix????

I love my gladiator but it sounds like a piece of ____!
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that could be as the OP makes it sound like it's happening when almost to the point of lugging - there's torque causing the engine to move slightly, and it's going to be running under heavy load and not smoothly - could cause a rattle.

OP
OP
bwm2020

bwm2020

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Production Manager @ Technicoat Corp. (powder coating) Owner of NuPowder Designs (Custom Powder Coating)
Check your exhaust heat shields for little rocks. Had one in my tundra that drove me bonkers for three months
So why when using a higher octane or the octane booster it softens the noise but still there.???????

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So why when using a higher octane or the octane booster it softens the noise but still there.???????
Then are you suggesting detonation?
The only other thing other than that is that using a better fuel causes the engine to run more smoothly under load, less likely to lug.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bwm2020

bwm2020

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Then are you suggesting detonation?
The only other thing other than that is that using a better fuel causes the engine to run more smoothly under load, less likely to lug.
You would think that the dealer would have check that too since they have had it 5 different times. Will check, but doubtful. Thanks

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
Can't explain that other than what shadow stated but then the question arises...why did it come back on the same tank of fuel?

The exhaust heat shields can be a source of all kind of mysterious sounds, one could be bent a little and intermittently touching something else.

It is fairly easy to check, just take a rubber or plastic hammer and tap the exhaust in different places and listen.

Be patient, intermittent noises can be tough to diagnose. If you want just cut open the oil filter and inspect for debris.

OP
OP
bwm2020

bwm2020

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Can't explain that other than what shadow stated but then the question arises...why did it come back on the same tank of fuel?

The exhaust heat shields can be a source of all kind of mysterious sounds, one could be bent a little and intermittently touching something else.

It is fairly easy to check, just take a rubber or plastic hammer and tap the exhaust in different places and listen.

Be patient, intermittent noises can be tough to diagnose. If you want just cut open the oil filter and inspect for debris.
Checked exhaust, slight rattle/squeak at the muffler but the noise concerning is from front of truck. They change oil and inspected in the beginning and all looked good. It’s just a mystery and happens to be mine. Lol! Thanks for info

DanOnTheCob

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I had this issue, The heat sheild near the loop in driverside exhaust bank was the issue (For me). But it drove me crazy and it took me riding with a tech to show what I was talking about.

They had to put the truck on a lift with a driver in the seat and do some accelleration runs to get it figured out.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
So for 10 months now and 18,000 (started around 18-20k ,38000 on it now) miles I have been trying to get and rattling noise from the engine when accelerating from low speeds 15-30 figured out and Jeep has no idea.
when cruising between 15-30 and slowly accelerate it sounds like a a quick rattle of keys for about 1-2 seconds. Sometimes longer when going up an incline.
1st time they said they couldn’t hear it. 2nd time dealership kept and the tech drove and couldn’t hear it again. I asked for him to ride with me so I could point out what noise I’m talking about. I was able to get him to hear it and he had no idea what it was. They did research and told me to run Shell 93 octane for several tanks. Noise was not as consistent but was still there. Took it back in and they kept it a few more days. No clue. Finally @JeepCares got involved after I sent an email complaining. Next was (they thought) replace the intermediate drive shaft. The original shaft had some wear on the gasket/bushing on the end. Replaced, tech said it was fixed and for me to come and drive it. Drive it and I was STILL able to mimic the noise that I had been complaining about. So that didn’t fix the issue. Waited a few weeks again for the next step. Took it back in they were going to look further into shaft area, well they added an octane booster. Called me and said it was fixed. Me, not being too confident picked it up drove around the dealership and didn’t make the noise then. The next morning it all started back. What the heck!!!! This has been residuals for a 50k + brand new vehicle to sound like a 30yr old car with a bad rattle. Very noticeable when windows are down and sometime even with windows up. Nobody had a fix or even knows what the issue is. My problem is that is coming from the engine and it’s not supposed to be making that noise. What if something internally is off and ruins the motor????? very frustrated!!

Anyone else having this issue? If so what was the fix????

I love my gladiator but it sounds like a piece of ____!
Hi there @bwm2020
We are sincerely sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your Jeep. Our team would be happy to look into this further for you. Please send us a private message with your VIN or case number so that we may assist.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Can you power brake it to duplicate the noise? If so, it should be pretty easy to find.

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Sahara JL, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon JT
Did you ever get an answer as to what the noise was? I have the same issue.

OP
OP
bwm2020

bwm2020

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did you ever get an answer as to what the noise was? I have the same issue.
No fix yet. They have tried, octane booster which softened the noise for about 100miles, used higher octane gas (Shell), softened for about 50-100 miles, last time in (I think I am up to 6x now) they drained all the fuel from tank and refilled with new gas. They (dealership Tech) drove for about 50 miles and they said it was gone. After I picked up about 5 miles down the road it started back. When going about 26-27 on a sight incline just where your softly giving gas I can make it rattle for up to 10 sec nonstop. I have been waiting 2 weeks now for the next step. Supposedly Jeep Cares/Chrysler is going to send a field tech out to check it out. Chryster is calling it spark knock/detonation. Whatever it is, it is not normal and not expected from a 50k plus vehicle if you ask me. I know before someone throws this out there, the manual does say that certain fuel can cause a spark knock. I understand that, but this is not normal!

Punkinpudding1031, have you taken yours in for it??

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Sahara JL, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon JT
No fix yet. They have tried, octane booster which softened the noise for about 100miles, used higher octane gas (Shell), softened for about 50-100 miles, last time in (I think I am up to 6x now) they drained all the fuel from tank and refilled with new gas. They (dealership Tech) drove for about 50 miles and they said it was gone. After I picked up about 5 miles down the road it started back. When going about 26-27 on a sight incline just where your softly giving gas I can make it rattle for up to 10 sec nonstop. I have been waiting 2 weeks now for the next step. Supposedly Jeep Cares/Chrysler is going to send a field tech out to check it out. Chryster is calling it spark knock/detonation. Whatever it is, it is not normal and not expected from a 50k plus vehicle if you ask me. I know before someone throws this out there, the manual does say that certain fuel can cause a spark knock. I understand that, but this is not normal!

Punkinpudding1031, have you taken yours in for it??
Not yet. Mine just started doing it like a week ago. Same thing. Seems to be worse when engine under load (during take off, hill climb, etc).