Sponsored

Re-engineering the brick (keyfob)

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I bought a Gibson holster to keep the key switchblade closed. Its better but it also made the entire thing even bigger. I need the buttons to lock/unlock but I know this gadget could be a hell of a lot smaller. Hell I had an older Daimler / Chrysler vehicle that had all the same buttons on the large end of the ignition key. Shrink this thing down while retaining full functionality and you'll sell a shit load of them. We're waiting......
Sponsored

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
Thanks for all the feedback, sharing interest and for volunteers for test candidates! I'll keep sharing updates and seeking feedback and will probably seek some beta testers.

The image shows the fobs I am using as inspiration as well as a couple of printed bottle openers I designed. The colors on the bottle openers are to show the stress during opening a bottle (result of an FEA analysis). I'll likely produce my two fobs in different colors to more easily distinguish between them.

If you have a favorite fob please share and we'll include it in our idea bucket.

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 2020-10-18 18.49.10

Last edited:

Lucky1

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator max tow - 2011 honda odyssey
Interested as well

Birel33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland and a Ridgeline
Occupation
FF/EMT
Make it as thin and as small as possible while keeping the key with it somehow. The stock fob is way to thick. I love just walking up to the truck and it unlocking, but I need to lock the seats and glovebox at times too.

On a side note the salesman told me the spot in between the cup holder was for a cell phone.

Sponsored

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
Like many of us, I am not a fan of the Gladiator keyfob. On top of it's size and the overactive switchblade key, my jeep logo is already coming loose, after a few months of use.

I have investigated the AJT fob and I am not a fan of that either. I made the decision to design a new fob.

I am designing the fob so the key is integral and slides out if needed. This is similar to many of the current fobs on the market.

I am posting this here because I am contemplating producing the fob once the design is complete. I have access to some of the most advanced additive manufacturing equipment available and can produce full-color, textured, customized fob housings. I figure if I am going to the trouble to make my own, I'd see if there are certain features or design considerations other people would like to see.

I will have alpha prototypes this week for fitment/function testing and then we'll dive deeper into the ergonomics, shape, and key action. At this point, I am planning to reuse the factory button cover.

If this interests you, please let me know what you'd like to see with a redesigned fob.

Cheers,

Carl

This is truly a key moment in aftermarket Jeep history. Thank you and good lock. I mean, "luck".

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
My solution on the left - compared to what my father had to carry with him when he was chief inspector at the plant (he had another mic in the far right holster, it's in my shop now).........
I love the fob holster, not hard to pull the fob out should I decide I want to use the key (but in 11 months, I have never used that key)

I agree the Grand Cherokee fob is indeed about 2/3 the size and the slide-out key makes some sense. I think if you did that it might be a possible solution.
I had a photo of my fob compared to my wife's GC fob, which has the same functions -actually more since it has a tail gate button.

That is what I have the holster and it works great for me. Would like a FOB that is a bit smaller though.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for all the feedback, sharing interest and for volunteers for test candidates! I'll keep sharing updates and seeking feedback and will probably seek some beta testers.

The image shows the fobs I am using as inspiration as well as a couple of printed bottle openers I designed. The colors on the bottle openers are to show the stress during opening a bottle (result of an FEA analysis). I'll likely produce my two fobs in different colors to more easily distinguish between them.

If you have a favorite fob please share and we'll include it in our idea bucket.

How about pictures of the S6?

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm definitely interested. I too, have a base sport with no buttons on the fob. I'd honestly be ok with a normal looking key on a key chain, since I only use it to lock/unlock the console and glove box, and even that's a rarity. Good luck, and please keep us informed.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Have AJT also. It’s better but still flawed. Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Good rule of thumb when gauging interest on internet boards is to basically slash any number in half when it comes time to pony up the cash.

That being said, I like what I see so far. I have the AJT fob case also and agree it is not perfect and a better mousetrap could be had here.

Last edited:

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
Love your designs so far. I have a base sport w/ manual tranny. I do not have the auto start button. If you design a case for the manual fob owner I am definitely interested for purchase and testing if you need. My ex has told me I'm a good test dummy... Lol. Looking forward to finished product. Think ergonomic might be an idea as well?

Reactions: DC3

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Can't wait to see what you come up with. It'll be amazing if someone can make all the key fob haters happy :champagne:

Reactions: DC3
OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)