Sponsored

Re-engineering the brick (keyfob)

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
Like many of us, I am not a fan of the Gladiator keyfob. On top of it's size and the overactive switchblade key, my jeep logo is already coming loose, after a few months of use.

I have investigated the AJT fob and I am not a fan of that either. I made the decision to design a new fob.

I am designing the fob so the key is integral and slides out if needed. This is similar to many of the current fobs on the market.

I am posting this here because I am contemplating producing the fob once the design is complete. I have access to some of the most advanced additive manufacturing equipment available and can produce full-color, textured, customized fob housings. I figure if I am going to the trouble to make my own, I'd see if there are certain features or design considerations other people would like to see.

I will have alpha prototypes this week for fitment/function testing and then we'll dive deeper into the ergonomics, shape, and key action. At this point, I am planning to reuse the factory button cover.

If this interests you, please let me know what you'd like to see with a redesigned fob.

Cheers,

Carl

Glad Fob 2.1JPG.JPG

I just ordered the trailer for my key fob......but I'm interested !

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
Quick update: I am using a functional alpha prototype MVP that is about 0.75" shorter and nearly 0.5" narrower than the factory fob. Thickness is about 10% thinner. So the prototype is 75% of the length, 75% of the width, and 90% of the thickness of the factory.

The sketch shows the relative size comparison. The shape of the alpha is not rectangular, I kept the sketch simple.

This functional alpha is without the key incorporated, I will be using this over the next several days for testing. Shape, orientation, and button recess are my primary areas of focus at this stage.

Our current plan is to develop and produce 2 or 3 different cases.

1. No button Case- as small as possible with external key
2. 3 or 4 button case - as small as possible with external key
3. Case with built-in key - for 0, 3, or 4 buttons

We're making progress and hope to have some beta examples soon. The size may increase or decrease slightly and the jury is still out on water resistance.

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) Fob Comparo

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
prototype is 75% of the length, 75% of the width, and 90% of the thickness of the factory.
without the key incorporated,

Fob Comparo.jpg
Thatā€™s not far off the JT vs the Grand Cherokee fob which has the key internally.

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) 2A38714E-1052-482B-9656-8A8CF7854C9A

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
Here is a quick update. These photos are of our alpha 2.1. It's fully functional and I have been using this for several days. Keep in mind, this is an early prototype and does not have a production-level finish.

The alpha 2.1 is currently 75% of the factory fob in every dimension resulting in a volume reduction of about 55%.

We are refining the shape, button function, and assembly at this stage. The raised button markers are simple placeholders for functional testing.

This fob includes the passive RFID chip, so it includes everything but the key.

We'll keep improving and I'll provide another update next week. We are getting close. As we get through these alpha phases we'll start looking at water resistance. The final stages for the keyless version will be to design a simple key ring for the fob and a simple end for the key itself (to attach to a key ring).

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) Alpha 2.1 vs stock overlay
Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) Alpha 2.1 vs Stock
Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) Alpha 2.1 vs stock profile

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Here is a quick update. These photos are of our alpha 2.1.

The alpha 2.1 is currently 75% of the factory fob in every dimension resulting in a volume reduction of about 55%.

We are refining the shape, button function, and assembly at this stage. The raised button markers are simple placeholders for functional testing.

This fob includes the passive RFID chip, so it includes everything but the key.

As we get through these alpha phases we'll start looking at water resistance. The final stages for the keyless version will be to design a simple key ring for the fob and a simple end for the key itself (to attach to a key ring).

That looks smaller (thinner) than the GC fob I posted earlier, but probably because there is no key incorporated. I never took the key out of the GC fob, but suspect it is the same as the JT which makes me think you should put a minimal scabbard for the GC key on the back of yours - it would then have the key ring portion built in and still retain the overall smaller dimensions.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good for those who are bulemia oriented. Just wondering why you don't integrate the key to avoid having it hanging from it on a key ring?

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
Looks good for those who are bulemia oriented. Just wondering why you don't integrate the key to avoid having it hanging from it on a key ring?
from above

Our current plan is to develop and produce 2 or 3 different cases.

1. No button Case- as small as possible with external key
2. 3 or 4 button case - as small as possible with external key
3. Case with built-in key - for 0, 3, or 4 buttons

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Because that's most of what made the fob so big to start with. This is about making it look smaller while actually consuming more space.

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
What do you think these will cost when you are in final production?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
engineer
What do you think these will cost when you are in final production?
I don't have that nailed down yet. The design I showed today is a minimum viable product intended to show the smallest possible size. We are refining the fob from here and the final version won't look like a coffin. The blessing and the curse of additive mfg are the endless possibilities and customization. I am focusing the effort so it converges to completion. In the next week, I will narrow the options and post another update to include the expected price for each option. The price will be similar to the alternative option(s) available.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Gosh, I didnā€™t even know I was suppose to have a problem with the key FOB till I read all 11 pages of this. Iā€™m so disappointed now.
Your lack of passion for this problem disturbs me. It's because of reasonable people like you that we have these problems. Seriously though, look up the other thread here about the fob, it's total hilarity.

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Subaru Ascent, '21 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
Here is a quick update. These photos are of our alpha 2.1. It's fully functional and I have been using this for several days. Keep in mind, this is an early prototype and does not have a production-level finish.
Not sure if this was covered yet, but can you design it to have a quick disconnect from the key ring (keeping the physical key and key ring together if physical key present present)? So that when I lose my key somewhere and I have to steal my wifeā€™s, I can just take the push button start fob and leave the rest of her gigantic janitor-sized key ring (and then forget to reattach the fob to the key and doom myself to feeling my wifeā€™s wrath for taking her stuff and not putting back where it belongs)?:surprised::swear:

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
Gosh, I didnā€™t even know I was suppose to have a problem with the key FOB till I read all 11 pages of this. Iā€™m so disappointed now.
I didn't understand until I "stabbed" myself in the leg with the stupid key, after it inadvertently opened in my pocket. Now I patiently wait until this fix is available.
Sponsored