Sponsored

Re-engineering the brick (keyfob)

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
We had a little fun with designs over the weekend, these won't appeal to everyone and are meant to show a few possibilities with color & design. We have 0, 3, and 4 button versions shown here. Beta fobs are going out by Wednesday of this week. For simplicity, the beta versions will be black. we have some tweaking for the color parts to account for the different strength and shrinkage characteristics.

2020-12-14 19.21.28.jpg
You are clearly doing a great job with designs. An idea popped in my head and I wanted to share if you were looking for more ideas. You could also cater to the unique color clubs, like Sting Gray with a "sting ray" logo....or punkn with a "pumpkin logo....gator alligator... hydro blue with some water or something. You get the point.
But I really love the Jeepy tire tracks too. Great job. I'll be keeping my eye on this for sure.

Lol, how about Nacho color key fob with a a dusty Dorito on it.
Sponsored

JEEPmonkey

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1993 YJ
Occupation
RN
I’ve had it together ther for all of 10 mins and WOW huge difference. Looking forward to the trial and stoked for the final product

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) BABAEBF9-85F7-4890-997D-B040F38318C6

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Drooling! Awesome work! I trust you’re on the wrangler forums also...how’s the response there?

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Sign me up! I’m down for one of these when they release. :like:

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Subaru Ascent, '21 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
Received my fob carcass yesterday too. Was too impatient to wait for the DI Labs video so I watched some other video on YouTube about removing the innards. It is very straightforward. The only fiddly part is removing the transponder. It is in there pretty snug. A razor blade seems to be the best tool for the job. Or maybe a feeler gauge would work well too. Anyway, the innards swap over easily. The transponder has its own slot on the other half of the carcass. One torx screw to put it together (the other end has a tab and slot interference connection) and it is ready to roll. All the buttons work fine. It is small. It is light. It has no switchblade. I suppose the only other thing one loses (in addition to girth, length and weight) is the ability to use the key. I have never used the key but I guess it does work in the lockable compartment. All told, a very worthwhile tradeoff. Nice job DI Labs!! Looking to get one in a color at some point. Now need to downsize my keychain trinket.

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) BABAEBF9-85F7-4890-997D-B040F38318C6
Can you take the switchblade out of the original fob and just attach it to a key ring?

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Dammit!
My beta arrived today, and I won’t be back until tomorrow!

:LOL:

19Comanche86

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys,1986 Comanche XLS (LS1 swap)
Occupation
Firefighter/ Paramedic / Home inspector
This is just fantastic. I love the jeep tire track one. Great job man these things are going to sell like crazy. Can’t wait to get one.

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
I’d like a 3 button, black with Mojave orange accents. :)

Quick question - is this reversible. If you needed to put the innards back in the original fob for some reason, any issues?

Sponsored

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I love the jeep tire track one. I want a 4 button whenever they are available!

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S

Lucky1

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator max tow - 2011 honda odyssey
I’d like a 3 button, black with Mojave orange accents. :)

Quick question - is this reversible. If you needed to put the innards back in the original fob for some reason, any issues?
I switched out mine last night, it could definately be reversed. I think the only hard part to that would be possibly getting the spring in to hold the switchblade key. It would just take a moment of patience, probably not "hard".

Lucky1

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator max tow - 2011 honda odyssey
20201221_062743.jpg

Put the "key" on a stand alone Keychain so I can keep it with me in case I want to lock the boxes in the summer while doorless.

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
Hate I missed the beta sign up as well!! Replied earlier & had hoped I'd get in on it. Oh well,wait for the release.
Sponsored