Sponsored

Re-engineering the brick (keyfob)

19Comanche86

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys,1986 Comanche XLS (LS1 swap)
Occupation
Firefighter/ Paramedic / Home inspector
Absolutely Fantastic

7278DCDE-C579-45B2-95D2-C9A75CF77988.jpeg
Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
@Gatorized

The Fob battery.

And yes, no fob battery/dead/ severely depleted fob battery and you will need to press end of fob with RFID chip against start button to start JT. No chip, no fob battery or bad fob and no start, JT.
After I removed my chip, I went out with the key and the chip and opened and started my vehicle, just to make sure I didn't damage the chip. I did take a small chip off the conformal coating on the chip and will need to touch it up with some nail polish. (Don't tell my wife)

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Request.... Could someone that just received a MINI, and moved all from the stock fob...( circuit board, battery , chip to it and screwed it closed), weigh the Mini.

I do not have a scale that is for weighing something so small. Seriously, I would like to know exact weight of it. Also, the weight of assembled stock fob with battery and key.
I don't have a complete Mini.

Complete Stock fob: 2.25 oz. 64g.
Stock fob less circuit board, RFID chip & battery: 1.6 oz. 45g.
Complete Mini+ (M+): 0.85 oz. 24g.

The calculated weight of the Mini, using my beta-mini case, is the same (within measurement error) as the Mini+.

Kevin

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
Got mine today. I love the design. It’s much lighter which is awesome. I will order another one for my spare fob that has the buttons outlined when that is available. How do I order the key holder? I don’t see a link on the website.

8926E8B7-F74C-471B-86BC-14BCCBE58DD5.jpeg

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
Got my fob yesterday. As others have stated, the chip swap was the hardest part. For those that balked at the price, its worth every penny.

Thank you again to crdouglass3 for making these for us!! I'll be buying another as soon as the button can be printed in color (I improvised on mine :) )

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) IMG_2743

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Adding to this, I have never seen an active system fail, to give perspective. So the backup is nice, just have no idea how important it might be in the real world. We've got a 2011 BMW with active also, and even through low batteries, it has worked. None of my friends reported ever having a failure of the prox keys either. In a recent discussion, most didn't even know about the passive backup. I've walked into water with the JT fob and still had it work. So, no idea how important it is. I suppose, it doesn't matter at all...until it does. Your choice.
Yes, I’ve had to use the passive system multiple times (on other vehicles). If you stay on top of swapping the batteries out you can get ahead of it, but they will eventually drain. I typically tend to ignore the weakening battery until it is too late...

I haven’t seen a car without a backup in place though. Jeeps are easy with the exposed door locks, but on some cars you need to know where to remove some door or handle trim to get to the lock.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I’ve had to use the passive system multiple times (on other vehicles). If you stay on top of swapping the batteries out you can get ahead of it, but they will eventually drain. I typically tend to ignore the weakening battery until it is too late...
Same here...
I haven’t seen a car without a backup in place though. Jeeps are easy with the exposed door locks, but on some cars you need to know where to remove some door or handle trim to get to the lock.
And a shortcoming of the Jeep, using the mechanical lock to enter the vehicle will trigger the alarm.

Kevin

Sponsored

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Yes, true.
But if you lock it with the mechanical lock, inside or out, it won’t set the alarm.

Kevin
That seems like a drawback. Only way to set the alarm is a working FOB?

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Ordered mine yesterday. Did not get any type of confirmation email or anything like that. (I believe I used the ApplePay option, and the purchase posted on my CC.)

I'm not worried or anything, just curious if anyone has ordered recently and already received a FOB, or if you ever got any confirmation.

Excited to get it!

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)