Sponsored

Really want a Gladiator but having trouble taking the plunge - help me do it!

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Roomy enough for 4 adults, maneuverable in the city, easy to park. I’ve been in plenty of hospital garages with tight parking and the gladiator is easy to park there as well.

Noise with hard top is not bad at interstate speeds. I can hold conversations with passengers and on the phone with no issues. Do not buy one with Mud Tires. Make sure they are all terrain tires or street to keep noise down.

It isn’t a Toyota Camry, we have one of those as well. The JT is fun to drive and even with the freedom panels (front hard top panels come off) and windows down, pure joy!

Good luck with your choice
Sponsored

TurboCopter

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I made the switch from a JLU and I honestly haven’t really noticed the difference in length when parking. I’m at standard ride height with no lift or leveling kit and have parked in several garages with no issues.
The road noise is no more than any other convertible and if you opt for dual tops, the hard top hardly makes any noise at all unless you are running M/T tires. We can’t help ya on that one.
I say take the leap, you won’t be sorry.

Outside Reality Check

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Toyota 4Runner LTD
Occupation
Surgical Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
Go for it! You know what you want, and what you want it for. Don't sweat the small stuff. Parking will always be more about luck anyway, you'll fit in 9 out of 10 spots, easy. Everyone who's ever ridden in my JTR loves it, a new experience for some, a fond memory for others. Noise - Smoise , hard top with headliner, done. I took one of my managers to lunch, and she had a little trouble getting in, ( I need to get steps ), but a little boost and she was in - she loved it. You can't beat the truck bed for haulin the gear, Costco runs, and keepin the rear seats usable. Summers with the top off, doors off, doesn't get better than that.

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
According to OP, you've made your decision. Get the Gladiator if it's what you want and will be hauling items big enough where you need the bed. If not, go with the JLU. I've owned almost every version of Wranglers, CJ, YJ, TJ, LJ (2), JKU and now JT. If noise is your issue, as others have said, go with the hard top. Being you're in Kalifornia I would not suggest the soft top, y'alls crime is off the hook and you're gonna get your top cut all the time. The length is negligible when parking. I'll be honest, never been to SF and have NO plans of ever visiting. Should always have parking available that would make you comfortable with wheeling this in. It is an amazing vehicle. Buy it, take the doors and top off, enjoy the Kalifornia sun. Your decision has been made.

Sponsored

Haywire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I had similar concerns but pulled the trigger when my trusty Ranger finally died. Adjusting to the additional size took a few weeks, but I think that had more to do with having driven the ranger for 13 years than the size difference. I drive to job sites in SF frequently, & don't spend more time than before finding a parking spot to stuff it in. Parking garages etc no problem. Comfortable rear seating, & people seem to enjoy the 'Jeep' experience. 20k in a year, zero issues, no regrets.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
It's San Fran, there's absolutely no parking anywhere within six blocks of your destination. And even if you are able to find a spot regardless of the size of vehicle, you'll just have to move it for street sweeping anyways. And if you're lucky enough to own a spot or a garage, everyone will be focused on hating you for that alone in spite of your Gladiator offsetting their efforts to reduce humanity's carbon footprint. As for the road noise, I think once your friends and clients have been awakened at 3:AM by all the damn trash trucks they'll actually appreciate the blissful silence offered by the Gladiator.

Yup, the Bay Area; don't miss it one bit. Pretty sure it doesn't miss me all that much either. I'm fine with both, and you'll be fine with a JT. Just stick with the automatic, reverse on the manual will drive you batshit crazy on those hills. And if you have any worries, just go grab a slice of Sacripantina from Stella Pastry over on Columbus, always seemed to make anything right. Okay, fine, I miss that.

Litfury

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I’ve answered similar threads recently so I won’t rehash everything I’ve already said. I’ll just say I thought about a Jeep for years. My wife and I are both glad we got the gladiator. We love it so much we frequently talk of trading in her super comfy and luxurious Palisade for a Wrangler.

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
If you need us to help you decide on buying a gladiator then I don’t think you really want one but for myself I love the gladiator and i get comments on it all the time

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Did you take the plunge yet?? As others have said, yea it's long, but easier to manauver than most other trucks. I don't parallel park it often but haven't had much trouble in the small city near me. The road noise is not bad at all with a hard top, especially if you spring for the headliners. I have the Sunrider on mine and that really isn't bad either until you're on the freeway at 65+

Sponsored

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
If you need a truck to do truck things with, then a Gladiator is a pretty good option. I came from a full-size truck, and although the footprint is only a little smaller, it is much more nimble to get around in. If you are worried about wind noise, then the hard top option should keep the noise to economy car levels.
Agreed on both points. I also came from a full size pickup (without a backup camera) and garages or paralleling parking are so much easier. It's so much narrower and the length isn't bad at all.

As for client comfort I'd consider 2 things...
- For noise the hardtop advice is spot on - plus you can add Hot Head liners with the Sound Assassin strip to create sedan like sound deadening.
- Getting in and out is the most uncomfortable thing for some folks - or at least the one they comment on the most. So just need to limit your lift and tires or make sure to get good side steps.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The clearance and 4x4 capability will probably help you find more parking “opportunities”. The road noise is real but I daily drive mine with 37 inch mud terrains. Prob cant take a conf call in motion and hear it but conversation inside cab is fine. Results may vary.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I have a soft top and I take calls all the time in my truck no problem and have no issue hearing them or them hearing me. Talking to people in the truck same thing. When you get up to like 80 MPH on the freeway then yea it gets louder or if its really windy in a crosswind. Get a Hard Top with some headliners if you want to reduce. Parking is a breeze in this thing compared to my 1500.

Gelo

First Name
Gelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Accountant
First time Jeep owner here. I had a Tacoma prior. Truck is a bit longer than the Tacoma but parking in smaller parking spots is actually easier. I bought mine with the insulation in my hardtop and noise isn't an issue. I'm not sure what type of clients you have so I cannot answer to that but having a Gladiator can be a great topic of discussion with clients and especially with friends. I wish I got the front trail cam because that would greatly help parking in tight spots. I suggest you rent a Gladiator first and drive it around. Best of luck!
Sponsored