Sponsored

Rear axle replaced, now humming under light throttle

The Other Radio Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland Sting-Gray
I bought my 21 used but was told the rear end was replaced by corporate under warranty due to a similar issue. It has a 2023 date code sticker still on it. They must have messed up a few of these.
Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
Hopefully last update. Dealer is replacing the entire axle assembly again under warranty.

I am not familiar with these axles, however what they are telling me is that when the axle assembly ships, it comes with everything installed, including the yoke that goes onto the pinion gear. If what they are saying is correct, then the first axle assembly shipped with incorrect preload or something happened when the mechanics transferred parts from my original axle.

I doubt I will ever know what the real cause was, but it seems like the preload was never set right from the very start. Possibly something to do with the front pinion race/bearing not seating properly during install and setting preload.
I would not have settled for anything less after seeing that milkshake come out of a supposed new axle. I'm glad they are installing a new one, again.