First Name
Kodiak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Mobile lube and repair tech
I have an adamant philosophy that all turn signals should be yellow and separate from the brake lights. Though, thus far I have not been able to find any aftermarket products for to satisfy this. Unless someone on here knows of a product I'm going to get creative and make my own. Would anybody be interested in a kit should I do this?
Sponsored

kaeo_15

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Search “Oracle flush mount tail lights”
Jeep Gladiator Rear yellow turn signals? 1624348109269

Seem to be yellow to me. They start shipping in August.

OP
OP

RamenSaturday

First Name
Kodiak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Mobile lube and repair tech
Those do look good

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I think only the European version would be yellow. You have to do a euro conversion on your Jeep to make the rear turn signals yellow or that's what I was always told.

Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
I have an adamant philosophy that all turn signals should be yellow and separate from the brake lights. Though, thus far I have not been able to find any aftermarket products for to satisfy this. Unless someone on here knows of a product I'm going to get creative and make my own. Would anybody be interested in a kit should I do this?
I’m with you, I much prefer yellow turn signals. Stands out more IMO.

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
I have these mounted in my aftermarket bumper (so in addition to the stock tail lights)

Jeep Gladiator Rear yellow turn signals? tail light

with the center leds blinking yellow/amber for turn indicators.
But as previously pointed out with any separate turn indicator(s) you will have to run a converter (in my case a 'RED WOLF Trailer 2-to-3-Wire Splicer-in Taillight Converter')

Jeep Gladiator Rear yellow turn signals? converter

to get the turn indicators to split off from the brake light. Not a big deal as <$20. I wired mine into the trailer connector wiring so zero issue with the JT's 'normal' light circuit.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have these mounted in my aftermarket bumper (so in addition to the stock tail lights)

with the center leds blinking yellow/amber for turn indicators.
But as previously pointed out with any separate turn indicator(s) you will have to run a converter (in my case a 'RED WOLF Trailer 2-to-3-Wire Splicer-in Taillight Converter')

to get the turn indicators to split off from the brake light. Not a big deal as <$20. I wired mine into the trailer connector wiring so zero issue with the JT's 'normal' light circuit.
I recall those boxes in the 1980s when cars started switching things up. Some had turn signals distinct from the red brake lights, some did not. On the vehicles with yellow, there was a box, basically diodes, that took that signal from the amber rear turns and fed it into the trailer's brake lights without feeding back into the vehicle's brake light system.
My first run-in with them was in the early 1980s when some Eagles came with all red, others with amber turn and red brake. I towed so needed one of those adapters but if I had been thinking, I could have done the same with some diodes and saved money. No different than what I am doing now to run my backup lights from either being in reverse, or from an aux switch.

I’m with you, I much prefer yellow turn signals. Stands out more IMO.
I have mixed feelings about it - if you see a car ahead of you in the dark and see amber flashing lights, and their other lights are dead - is that their front turn or rear turn? It happens. Thus, the reflector requirements for your tail lights, which the Jeep does NOT have except for the bumper mounted reflectors.
With modern LED lighting, the flashing red will get your attention as well as flashing amber would.
Scientifically speaking, red will travel farther in the air with less diffusion - meaning it can be seen farther away and better in bad weather where atmospheric conditions will diffuse or block other colors more.
I think it was a bigger problem in years past and with conventional lighting.
But technically speaking - the win goes to red for distance visibility and in iffy weather because of the longer wavelength.

The human eye is more apt to be attracted to something that is red.

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
A worthwhile video on the red vs amber (separate) discussion

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A worthwhile video on the red vs amber (separate) discussion
That guy is brilliant and full of logic for many various situations.
I like that the studies in that YT vid, shown below, admit that it's not necessarily the color but could be other factors leading to the results. Yeah, it could be.
And one of the studies states results could be that it's easily determined that there's a different turn signal location - even if the color was red, you might know that.

How many times have we seen someone running their 4-way flashers on the road and they have a bulb burned out and my wife comments - is that fool going to turn or what? Make up his mind!
Yeah, you see ONE flashing light back there, looks like a turn, but he's got a trailer with busted up lights and his truck isn't any better so you can't tell what the #$% he's planning (or if he even is)
(of course on a vehicle with amber TS in the rear - if the turn signal bulb is shot, you still have the same problem)

The studies maybe should have accounted for the fact that people react more to red than yellow, red is seen farther away, and studied other possible solutions. Yellow is relaxing, red excites, gets attention.
Why are train signals and stop lights red? Because it says "ATTENTION" to the brain.
I think the problem is the lack of knowing if it's turn or brake when they use the same bulb or are in the same location, same shape and so on.

Psychology-wise - I believe the NHTSA study has a great point here -
although it acknowledges that some of this may have been related to simply having a separate indicator for braking and turning and not explicitly the color;

Yeah - drivers would know or easily tell which is which regardless of color.

I find it silly in any case that there's not more of a big deal made over the troubles with USA-designed vehicle tail lights. It's still more about style and looks than safety. Lights are so easily maneuvered today, LEDs, control boards, you can do a lot with them pretty cheaply. And since even if the same "bulb" or location is used, the feeds are distinct, much more could be done.

I like that video - the guy is good.
My personal preference regardless of other factors - on mine or any other vehicles, I prefer the amber rear TS. For multiple reasons.

Reactions: mog

Sponsored

Mayhem 6

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR; 2020 JLUR; 2015 JKW; 2016 JKUR (Sold); 2014 JKSS (Sold); 2008 JKUR (Sold)
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/export-tail-lights-on-na-spec-gladiator.31651/

This is a helpful thread on conversion to the euro-spec rear taillights with amber turns. I've previously converted a JK while in Europe for a bit. One helpful thing I found was to tap the front turn indicators and run that wire back to the tails. I'm not sure how that'd work on the more modern CANBUS in the JL/JTs, but it's not going to be a simple plug/play setup on North American spec truck wiring.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/export-tail-lights-on-na-spec-gladiator.31651/

This is a helpful thread on conversion to the euro-spec rear taillights with amber turns. I've previously converted a JK while in Europe for a bit. One helpful thing I found was to tap the front turn indicators and run that wire back to the tails. I'm not sure how that'd work on the more modern CANBUS in the JL/JTs, but it's not going to be a simple plug/play setup on North American spec truck wiring.
Would not take much to check out the wiring based on this - see what happens when you hit the brakes - which wire or wires goes high, and then when you hit left turn - which wire goes high.

Jeep Gladiator Rear yellow turn signals? 1674604155521
Sponsored