Recommend aux lighting for snow

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I’m looking for recommendations on a light to be used in low visibility conditions. Snowing specifically.

1. Amber or amber covers must be available
2. Bright enough they can be used alone without headlights as an option
3. Mounting options low. I’ll likely use my winch grill guard or customize something on the bumper.

I have a pillar lights now and they can’t even be used in snow—too much reflection.
Sponsored

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Baja designs. White and amber options, covers, beam options etc. An SAE pattern in Amber might be something to consider.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Replace the fog lights with Diode Dynamic kit, three different power out puts, use the factory wiring etc.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I’ve gone through this exact journey.
I have some Baja designs squadron pros with wide lenses, love them, but when finally had to drive through hard snow found that they scattered light worse than the stock LED low beams (which have sharp cutoff).
Because of that I switched to some diode dynamics SS3 max with the SAE fog pattern. TBH I haven’t seen them in same hard snow but I’m positive they would be better in that environment.
The internal reflection optics, like how a fiber optic cable works, is able to focus the light more definitively than the “bowl” reflectors of the Baja lights, which work more like a typical halogen headlight and scatter light more.
I love the Baja lights, the color temp, I usually like a softer throw instead of the sharp cutoffs of modern HID or LED headlights. Perfect for like a back road or desert light.
The sharper cutoff of the DD lights will reflect much less light in thick snow, etc, just because it’s not scattering light up high into your field of view.
I think I posted a thread a while ago with headlight vs Baja in that snowstorm, but I don’t think the pictures turned out well.
It was really obvious in real life. I bought the Baja’s FOR THAT PURPOSE and turned them off and just ran stock LEDs through the storm.
If I was going through the woods/off-road I’d prefer the Baja’s.
And btw the “SAE” Baja’s are a lower power model and not nearly as bright as the pros, for example. That’s why they’re sae certified compared to the pros. Maybe they would somehow be better for the snow because of that, but I’d rather use the SS3s there.
The “SAE” lens of the DD is a specific pattern, but can be used in any of the different models (sport, pro, max). It’s wide and has sharp horizontal cutoff, it’s sae cert because it won’t blind people on road like my Baja’s will.
In my mind perfect for fog/snow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jems007

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I’ve gone through this exact journey.
I have some Baja designs squadron pros with wide lenses, love them, but when finally had to drive through hard snow found that they scattered light worse than the stock LED low beams (which have sharp cutoff).
Because of that I switched to some diode dynamics SS3 max with the SAE fog pattern. TBH I haven’t seen them in same hard snow but I’m positive they would be better in that environment.
The internal reflection optics, like how a fiber optic cable works, is able to focus the light more definitively than the “bowl” reflectors of the Baja lights, which work more like a typical halogen headlight and scatter light more.
I love the Baja lights, the color temp, I usually like a softer throw instead of the sharp cutoffs of modern HID or LED headlights. Perfect for like a back road or desert light.
The sharper cutoff of the DD lights will reflect much less light in thick snow, etc, just because it’s not scattering light up high into your field of view.
I think I posted a thread a while ago with headlight vs Baja in that snowstorm, but I don’t think the pictures turned out well.
It was really obvious in real life. I bought the Baja’s FOR THAT PURPOSE and turned them off and just ran stock LEDs through the storm.
If I was going through the woods/off-road I’d prefer the Baja’s.
And btw the “SAE” Baja’s are a lower power model and not nearly as bright as the pros, for example. That’s why they’re sae certified compared to the pros. Maybe they would somehow be better for the snow because of that, but I’d rather use the SS3s there.
The “SAE” lens of the DD is a specific pattern, but can be used in any of the different models (sport, pro, max). It’s wide and has sharp horizontal cutoff, it’s sae cert because it won’t blind people on road like my Baja’s will.
In my mind perfect for fog/snow.

Great info! I'll look into them. DO you have a recommendation on going with the Sport/Pro/Max?

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Great info! I'll look into them. DO you have a recommendation on going with the Sport/Pro/Max?
Real world difference, no. I went with the Max and squadron pros just because I feel like I have poor night vision, and they’re both pretty awesome but different.
People on here seem to be happy with the sport and pro SS3s so I’m sure they’re plenty bright.
I didn’t want to try the Baja SAE because they even say it’s a lot dimmer
Sponsored