Snow Lighting

TPiz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2019 JL Rubicon
I have a build going with a plow. Anyone have recommendation on lighting that's good in the snow. I was going to do some yellows but I have heard others talk about having blue lights in the snow. I ran with straight white halogens on my last Jeep. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have a build going with a plow. Anyone have recommendation on lighting that's good in the snow. I was going to do some yellows but I have heard others talk about having blue lights in the snow. I ran with straight white halogens on my last Jeep. Thoughts?
I plow snow although we haven't had any in NJ yet this year :(. Are you asking about warning lights for the roof or lights to illuminate the area in front of the truck? If the lights are for illumination I would definitely not go with blue. I put a cheapo 20" LED light bar that I got on Amazon on the plow truck last year and the blueish hue of the light creates a lot of glare. "Warmer" light (yellow) is easier on the eyes and "cuts" through snow and fog better.

My vote would be for yellow or white LED in the warmest color temp you can find.

OP
OP
TPiz

TPiz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I plow snow although we haven't had any in NJ yet this year :(. Are you asking about warning lights for the roof or lights to illuminate the area in front of the truck? If the lights are for illumination I would definitely not go with blue. I put a cheapo 20" LED light bar that I got on Amazon on the plow truck last year and the blueish hue of the light creates a lot of glare. "Warmer" light (yellow) is easier on the eyes and "cuts" through snow and fog better.

My vote would be for yellow or white LED in the warmest color temp you can find.
Yeah. I might be to blame for lack of snow since I just got the new plow this year.

Illumination was more of the question. I have a LED bar that isn't very good. I read somewhere that someone recommended blue filters which didn't make sense to me at all. I was looking at warmer hues but just wanted to confirm. Thanks.

Reactions: Tim

Rulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLA 250, Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
It snows where I am 8 months of the year.

Haven’t once looked at my JT and said - dang, I wish I had better lights.

Put your money into studded snow tires.

OP
OP
TPiz

TPiz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It snows where I am 8 months of the year.

Haven’t once looked at my JT and said - dang, I wish I had better lights.

Put your money into studded snow tires.
The plow blocks both the headlights and the fogs. The headlights on the plow are okay.

IMG_0536.jpg

Sponsored

Rulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLA 250, Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
ah, that makes sense. Plows round my neck of the woods seem to love amber lights. I don't know if that means they are better, but 90% of them have them.

OP
OP
TPiz

TPiz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ah, that makes sense. Plows round my neck of the woods seem to love amber lights. I don't know if that means they are better, but 90% of them have them.
Either the 90% know something....or it's the cool kids club.

Snow Army

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep lj half cab / 2021 jeep jt
Occupation
Snow removal
Here's my little jeep lj half cab plow truck with a western v plow and pull plow on the rear. All I can say is it best little rig I've plowed with. I can't wait to plow with my Gladiator. But I have a feeling it won't be as good as my LJ

Screenshot_20210318-212358_Photos.jpg

PXL_20210206_062422585.jpg

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I think there’s plenty of science supporting the yellow lights, don’t go blue. More important is the pattern.

I would suggest getting some with a sharper horizontal cutoff (not floods).
I had some bright yellow fog light floods, and they actually created more glare than my stock LED low beams because of the light spilling upwards. The LED headlights have a pretty sharp cutoff.

That’s why I bothered replacing them with other yellow fogs with a sharper cutoff.. much better for snow and dust, though I preferred the first ones if it was clear at night.
Sorry I tried taking pics but they would never show what I was trying to.

Wiretie44

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition Granite Crystal Metallic 2001 4Runner 2015 FLTRXS
Can you supply more info on this plow setup? not seeing It as an option on the site. Appears it's a UTV plow. any insight is appreciated

Thanks

The plow blocks both the headlights and the fogs. The headlights on the plow are okay.

Jeep Gladiator Snow Lighting PXL_20210206_062422585
Sponsored