Sponsored

Regearing for towing (sometimes) and driving in Colorado: 4.88 vs 5.13 can you share experience?

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Sorry for the delayed response! Still waiting for my lift to arrive but I did get my regear done. Overall very pleased with the 5.13 gears. It has surprised me in that on a flat it is holding 8th gear at 45MPG, lol! I haven't taken it on any long trips yet but the throttle response is much better now and from what I can tell much less hunting for the right torque/gear combo. Going to take a longer trip to Durango in 2 weeks. Won't be able to tow with it until we get out camper next spring. Overall tho, I think 5.13 gears is a no-brainer for this truck anywhere in the US but particularly here in CO.

I'll report more in a few weeks when I get some more mileage under my belt...
How are them 5.13's still feeling in the mountains?
Sponsored

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
How are them 5.13's still feeling in the mountains?
I'm very pleased with them and super glad I didn't go with 4.88. FAR less shifting/hunting than before (even compared to 4.10 on 33" tires). Just took a trip to Durango and back and even though I think we had a hefty head wind both ways, we still easily saw a 1-2 mpg uptick from before (4.10 on 37").

THAT SAID, I do somewhat wonder if I should have gone even deeper to 5.38 as I do plan on pulling a trailer a lot next summer. I know it will be tow just fine on 5:13s but even as a daily driver I suspect 5.38 (just 5% more) would have few negative consequences as long as you are not constantly driving over 80mph lol. Maybe this is a minority opinion BUT I have yet to hear anyone say they regretted gearing too deep.

Bottom line: I have no hesitation in recommending 5.13 gears on a JT with 37" tires anywhere in the country: mountains or low elevation flat land.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, so still in GA at the moment and just finished the 500 mile break-in. I went with 5.13. Definitely feels much better, runs through the gears quickly and will hit 8th around 43 MPH. 75 MPH spins about 2,450 RPM and feels strong. Definitely glad I went this deep for the mountains as I will rarely run it at 80 MPH. 5.38 might have been a little too deep for my liking, but it’s definitely doable I feel. However, I believe you lose another pinion tooth at that point. Hope this helps someone as I went back and forth about what ratio to get. Honestly, there isn’t a lot of difference, so anything would be better than stock.

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, so still in GA at the moment and just finished the 500 mile break-in. I went with 5.13. Definitely feels much better, runs through the gears quickly and will hit 8th around 43 MPH. 75 MPH spins about 2,450 RPM and feels strong. Definitely glad I went this deep for the mountains as I will rarely run it at 80 MPH. 5.38 might have been a little too deep for my liking, but it’s definitely doable I feel. However, I believe you lose another pinion tooth at that point. Hope this helps someone as I went back and forth about what ratio to get. Honestly, there isn’t a lot of difference, so anything would be better than stock.
I share the same feelings @WK2JT -- Man, I'm starting to wish I'd gone to 5.38s lol!

I'll just add the more I research the more I think there is no valid fear in strength limitations of 5.13s or 5.38 especially on 37's. Found this video today to be helpful. According to this you do keep all 8 teeth on 5.38s as on 4.88s and 5.13:

StingyJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I share the same feelings @WK2JT -- Man, I'm starting to wish I'd gone to 5.38s lol!

I'll just add the more I research the more I think there is no valid fear in strength limitations of 5.13s or 5.38 especially on 37's. Found this video today to be helpful. According to this you do keep all 8 teeth on 5.38s as on 4.88s and 5.13:

You just described my exact predicament of 4.88 and 5.13s with potential set of 35s for long trips/towing. I'm in Utah, so you're post is pushing me to 5.13s.

Any updates? Thanks!

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have 1100 miles now with 5:13s with a manual JTR. I live in the mountains and have been driving up and down hills. It's like a different truck. Lots of torque now, really no lack of power now with 37s. Note: I have a light set of 37s - Goodyear MTRs with Method 703 bead grip.

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You just described my exact predicament of 4.88 and 5.13s with potential set of 35s for long trips/towing. I'm in Utah, so you're post is pushing me to 5.13s.

Any updates? Thanks!
Not really any updates and my feelings are the same as before. I am still very pleased that I chose 5.13 over 4.88 for daily driving and road trips. I still don’t yet have my trailer so haven’t towed any yet.

I will have to do some towing and / possibly borrow a set of 35” (to simulate 5.38 gears on 37”) to get any idea if 5.38 would have been better. I hope someone else gives them a try but my gut says 5.38 will run great on 37 too with little if any downside.

Bottom line: I still think 5.13 on 37’s is a no brainer choice for any JT auto and probably best fit for mileage and power. Jury is still out on towing.
Sponsored