Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Oh this could make some installers a bit more CAREFUL -
And I bet whoever installed it will be in debt for the rest of their living days because they are responsible.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-jersey-man-killed-lexus-remote-start

>>A New Jersey man was killed last weekend after he was pinned between two cars — one of which was started remotely by its owner, officials said.

Michael Kosanovich, 21, was in the Queens borough of New York City on Friday when he died around 10 p.m. He was standing between two parked 2002 Lexus IS300s when one of them turned on, after it was "accidentally started" by a remote control system.<<

>>It's unclear how the Lexus rolled forward, as the remote system isn't supposed to work unless the vehicle is placed in park. A spokesperson for Lexus told Streetsblog that the remote start feature was not offered in their vehicles in 2002, and therefore someone added it to the vehicle after it was purchased.<<
Sponsored

jteris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
viper 5902 can be used with a manual transmission. There are a set of steps you have to perform when you park to put it into a mode that will allow remote start. It basically has steps to ensure the parking brake is on and you are in neutral.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Thank you both! I always park in neutral with the e-brake, and for the life of me can't figure out why they couldn't have offered remote start that's inhibited with the vehicle in gear/e-brake not set etc. If you turn your automatic gladiator off with the truck in gear i bet it won't remote start either. Thanks again, I'll hit up the local dealers/shops.
Why do you park in neutral? I've driven a manual transmission for 30 years and rarely ever park in neutral, was just trained not. E Brakes can and do fail/slip. On a flat surface, no big deal but I've parked mine at idle to do things outside a few times on slight inclines and have had to jump back in to crack on the e-brake a couple more clicks to hold. I've also wished there was a way to add remote start to a manual transmission, but obviously we all agree unless you do park in neutral, it wouldn't work and I was taught not to do that.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
You can easily make any remote start kit work on the manual transmission, doesn’t have to be a special remote start kit. There’s a 3-way connector with two wires plugged in at the clutch. The green/yellow wire is the clutch interlock signal wire that originates at the RF Hub. The rf hub needs to see this signal grounded before it allows the engine to crank, which happens when the clutch is depressed. Leave the connector plugged into the clutch, but install a simple on/off switch across the two wires. Turn the switch on, and leave the transmission in neutral when you exit the vehicle, and it will remote start when called for. After you get in and put the ignition in run, turn the switch off. That way, cruise control and ESS will still work properly.

Sponsored

deserthi

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Richelli
Occupation
Med Tech
I got this from another forum but haven't tried it yet.
It is amazing to to me how many paranoid naysayers there are here. I have driven manual transmissions for over 40 years (Both commercial and private vehicles) and most of those do not have this clutch in requirement to start.
I understand if you are new to shifting for yourself but come on.
I really want remote start as living in the desert where most days are 105+ degrees. So out wheeling, Leaving the jeep to check out a mine or something it sure is nice to remote start the jeep while walking back to it. All the people I wheel with that have to have an automatic to drive off road have the remote start and I want it too.

You can easily make any remote start kit work on the manual transmission, doesn’t have to be a special remote start kit. There’s a 3-way connector with two wires plugged in at the clutch. The green/yellow wire is the clutch interlock signal wire that originates at the RF Hub. The rf hub needs to see this signal grounded before it allows the engine to crank, which happens when the clutch is depressed. Leave the connector plugged into the clutch, but install a simple on/off switch across the two wires. Turn the switch on, and leave the transmission in neutral when you exit the vehicle, and it will remote start when called for. After you get in and put the ignition in run, turn the switch off. That way, cruise control and ESS will still work properly.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I got this from another forum but haven't tried it yet.
It is amazing to to me how many paranoid naysayers there are here. I have driven manual transmissions for over 40 years (Both commercial and private vehicles) and most of those do not have this clutch in requirement to start.
I understand if you are new to shifting for yourself but come on.
I really want remote start as living in the desert where most days are 105+ degrees. So out wheeling, Leaving the jeep to check out a mine or something it sure is nice to remote start the jeep while walking back to it. All the people I wheel with that have to have an automatic to drive off road have the remote start and I want it too.

Did you read the post right above/before yours?
Looks like all you did was repost or copy it.

I've also had sticks since - well, my first car at age 14 (50 years ago)
Be kind.

muengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Don't hold your breath for an update from MOPAR - it ain't gonna happen for the sticks.
After-market, perhaps - but it would have to tie in with the Jeep security - don't want to start it with the doors unlocked, and the factory setup locks the doors and disables a lot of stuff until you get in and push the "start" button - any "kit" would need to interface with the security aspects.
Remote start kits are generally aimed at the older vehicles with far less complex electronics. Won't say it's not possible, but seriously, good luck. It won't come from Jeep (I'll stick my neck out and say ever), and it won't be simple with the theft control and other security aspects to current vehicles.
I agree with your statement that this will never be a MOPAR part for manual transmission vehicles.

I don't agree that most remote starts are aimed at older less complex vehicles. The CompuSTAR and Viper units that are very common interface with the CAN-BUS and with the host of systems available now with firmware that is specific to each model of vehicle that can be loaded to them, they very easily and reliably interface and control any vehicle function that is controlled or monitored through CAN-BUS.

Two weeks ago, I took my 2021 MX-5 to a reputable high end car customizer and they installed a CompuSTAR remote start system that uses the factory remote to remote start the car and has an app that will also start the car. The app can immolate every function of the keyless entry. It knows when the car is running, when its locked, knows how many miles it has on it until its next service, knows the battery charge state in volts and can tell when any door/ trunk or if the top is open.

It emulates the factory anti theft key security to initiate a remote start and then requires the proximity key to be in the vehicle to drive it off. The vehicle is push button start.

It does this through one CAN-BUS interface cable, there were 0 wires spliced to install this system.

Its not any lower tech than my JT, and everything works, and it wasn't expensive.

They have this same type system available for JL and JT both Automatic and Manual transmissions. I enquired because I hate the performance of the stock Uconnect SiriusXM Guardian and they told me its the same cost to do a Jeep as the MX-5 and just like the MX-5 they can do either transmission. They can also remote start a diesel with that system.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with your statement that this will never be a MOPAR part for manual transmission vehicles.

I don't agree that most remote starts are aimed at older less complex vehicles. The CompuSTAR and Viper units that are very common interface with the CAN-BUS and with the host of systems available now with firmware that is specific to each model of vehicle that can be loaded to them, they very easily and reliably interface and control any vehicle function that is controlled or monitored through CAN-BUS.

Two weeks ago, I took my 2021 MX-5 to a reputable high end car customizer and they installed a CompuSTAR remote start system that uses the factory remote to remote start the car and has an app that will also start the car. The app can immolate every function of the keyless entry. It knows when the car is running, when its locked, knows how many miles it has on it until its next service, knows the battery charge state in volts and can tell when any door/ trunk or if the top is open.

It emulates the factory anti theft key security to initiate a remote start and then requires the proximity key to be in the vehicle to drive it off. The vehicle is push button start.

It does this through one CAN-BUS interface cable, there were 0 wires spliced to install this system.

Its not any lower tech than my JT, and everything works, and it wasn't expensive.

They have this same type system available for JL and JT both Automatic and Manual transmissions. I enquired because I hate the performance of the stock Uconnect SiriusXM Guardian and they told me its the same cost to do a Jeep as the MX-5 and just like the MX-5 they can do either transmission. They can also remote start a diesel with that system.
Those have come out more recently than the $50-$100 units you find on eBay or Amazon or in cheap boxes from China that I was referring to. Wasn't long ago at all that those plug and play no cutting systems didn't exist.
I just threw away a universal remote start interface module transponder interface - had to laugh, to get by security as late as the 2011 Chevy and the WJ, etc. you have to open the device, stick a key with transponder in the unit, close it up and wire it in under the dash to get the thing to start.
I bought a batch of new units at a swap meet - never been installed, still in the boxes, and that was among them - I had to laugh - REALLY? That's how they did it?
Date on the instruction sheet in the box was from about 2010 I believe.

The units like Compustar came out fairly recently - 4 years ago, for example, for some of their models. (and have a really decent price tag for what they do).They piggyback to the harness and require no hacking like the systems 5 or 6 years ago (aimed at cars in the 80s and 90s)

Yes, there are remote start systems, even "do all" systems, but I said most. And if you look out on the web, most really are aimed at vehicles that had at best electric locks and power windows.
Higher end, better, newer systems include apps for the phone - far better than yet another "fob" and button to push.
Like you said - available now. Wasn't long ago those didn't exist.
Things have come a very long way - and the range is crazy now, too.

muengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Those have come out more recently than the $50-$100 units you find on eBay or Amazon or in cheap boxes from China that I was referring to. Wasn't long ago at all that those plug and play no cutting systems didn't exist.
I just threw away a universal remote start interface module transponder interface - had to laugh, to get by security as late as the 2011 Chevy and the WJ, etc. you have to open the device, stick a key with transponder in the unit, close it up and wire it in under the dash to get the thing to start.
I bought a batch of new units at a swap meet - never been installed, still in the boxes, and that was among them - I had to laugh - REALLY? That's how they did it?
Date on the instruction sheet in the box was from about 2010 I believe.

The units like Compustar came out fairly recently - 4 years ago, for example, for some of their models. (and have a really decent price tag for what they do).They piggyback to the harness and require no hacking like the systems 5 or 6 years ago (aimed at cars in the 80s and 90s)

Yes, there are remote start systems, even "do all" systems, but I said most. And if you look out on the web, most really are aimed at vehicles that had at best electric locks and power windows.
Higher end, better, newer systems include apps for the phone - far better than yet another "fob" and button to push.
Like you said - available now. Wasn't long ago those didn't exist.
Things have come a very long way - and the range is crazy now, too.
Your assessment is fair.

I haven’t had a vehicle without factory remote start since 2013. The last time I had an aftermarket alarm and keyless put in a vehicle was 1999.

I was not going to install something that required even 1 wire splice on my new MX-5 which has all the options but no remote start available.

I wasn’t even going to look for anything cheap and I knew the shop I wanted to go with wasn’t going to sell me something cheap. At just over $500 having an app that can remote start and locate the carmaintain the factory alarm and anti theft interface with the CAN-BUS and make everything work with no wire cutting was the only option.

Bonus is that with the newest systems the install time is half of what it used to be. My car was the first MX-5 they ever installed a CompuSTAR system in and they told me they wanted 4 hours to install it just to be on the safe side. It took them 1.5 hours.

Stay away from the cheap stuff. Wire cutting with CAN-BUS is bad.

Sponsored

87chief

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ - 22 JT
Occupation
Caterpillar Parts Manager
anyone make any headway on this? my build sheet for my 22 shows remote start on it in two places but the dealer is telling me it will not have the feature. im wondering if it's all there since it's listed in the build and just disabled. i agree with the OP that the vehicle obviously knows if you're in gear due to the ESS. plus when i park my cars i always boat anker them (wheel chuck on a rope) because my driveway is so steap.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
anyone make any headway on this? my build sheet for my 22 shows remote start on it in two places but the dealer is telling me it will not have the feature. im wondering if it's all there since it's listed in the build and just disabled. i agree with the OP that the vehicle obviously knows if you're in gear due to the ESS. plus when i park my cars i always boat anker them (wheel chuck on a rope) because my driveway is so steap.
If you ordered Remote Start, or a package that includes it, the build sheet will reflect that. If you also order a manual transmission, the Remote Start will not be installed, unless the factory has made a policy change for '22 models.

87chief

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ - 22 JT
Occupation
If you ordered Remote Start, or a package that includes it, the build sheet will reflect that. If you also order a manual transmission, the Remote Start will not be installed, unless the factory has made a policy change for '22 models.
according to my dealer, no changes were made. unfortunataly since i've never purchased anything less than 20 years old, i didnt expect this when i ordered it. i assumed new cars with all this fangle-dangle technology hooplah it would be a non-issue.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
according to my dealer, no changes were made. unfortunataly since i've never purchased anything less than 20 years old, i didnt expect this when i ordered it. i assumed new cars with all this fangle-dangle technology hooplah it would be a non-issue.
It's a decision influenced by the Lawyers. Remote Start with a Manual Transmission creates a potential liability problem for the manufacturer. Their solution is to not offer the option.

87chief

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ - 22 JT
Occupation
It's a decision influenced by the Lawyers. Remote Start with a Manual Transmission creates a potential liability problem for the manufacturer. Their solution is to not offer the option.
yeah, thats the sad trueth. everything is designed around the dumbest end user.
Sponsored