Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I have the Roofnest Sparrow XL coming next week. It has a spot for a solar panel. They say it works well with the Renogy flexible solar panel. They recommend the 160w. My plan is to have that connected to my factory battery (I have the dual battery set up) and then my ARB fridge will be connected to the SPOD. Based on calculations, that should help slow the drain of the main battery. What am I missing in my thoughts about using this?

DB61800D-4595-4246-86D1-3DD2269123C9_1_105_c.jpeg
Sponsored

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
@Pizziola29 A few thoughts. Figure about 100 watts real world output from your solar. You need a solar controller to marry the panels to your battery. Many of these also keep track of power use, charge state, solar input, discharge rate, etc.
I don't know the A/hr rating of the factory battery and the second ESS battery isn't really available to do anything except its factory purpose. Figure 50% of your batteries A/hr rating is available to use to not abuse the battery. That may not be enough to start the truck though at that much discharge. Your ARB has a few low voltage cutoff point settings to prevent over discharge.
Get the insulated cover for the fridge and keep it out of the direct sun. Great fridges, been running one for ten years.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
https://no.co/gb50
Just to be safe. I have my battery setup with two 100Ah LiFePO4 (of which I have some for sale @ $600 each) Even though I have a Redarc DC-DC charger isolator I still have an anderson plug where I can totally disconnect the battery storage system from the truck battery. My two 100Ah batteries will power my Dometic CFX95DZW for a week or more.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
As reference alot of the RV folks run into issues with the flexible panels. I had one that lasted 6 months. may want to research a bit
Sponsored