Solar Panel Overlanding

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Yea it was a long one. I’d say the big learning is in the first 20 minutes or so. After he goes into installation, which is cool for sure, but he explains the theory early on.
does the genesis setup have a DC/DC charger that kickass outback talked about?
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
does the genesis setup have a DC/DC charger that kickass outback talked about?
Now that I have watched so many videos I'm an expert :giggle: no just kidding.

From what I understand, the Genesis setup does not have a DC-to-DC charger. But, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think it needs it. The setup is based on 2x very good starting batteries. With high cracking power and 400 cycles each. (I can't remember how many cycles a deep cycle battery can usually handle - and if the Odyssey batteries are true deep cycle, or just really really good starting batteries).

The DC-to-DC chargers, I think, based on what I'm learning are for 3 scenarios:
  1. Your alternator is putting out less than the optimal amount of volts (i don't think this is the case with the JT, especially the upgraded alternator)
  2. You are using deep cycle batteries that need higher voltage to fully charge (which, it doesn't seem you would with the genesis offroad kit, you'd use two starting batteries)
  3. You want to add solar as a charging option (which, yes, you might, but is not absolutely necessary)
For my needs, 2-3 days out in nature, I think the Genesis offroad kit will be enough battery. The math I need to do is, how long would could a DC fridge last on one of those Odyssey batteries. That will be the bulk of my battery use. Lights are minimal.

I will still add a DC-to-DC charger, but for solar, to keep the batteries charged up.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's the short explanation of DC-to-DC chargers and why they are a must. It's essentially a short clip from from the hour long video.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
From what I understand, the Genesis setup does not have a DC-to-DC charger. But, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think it needs it. The setup is based on 2x very good starting batteries.
While you can use starting batteries, i wouldn't, you'll kill their longevity with discharging, I think gensis intends you to use 2 deep cycle batteries.

The DC-to-DC chargers, I think, based on what I'm learning are for 3 scenarios:
  1. Your alternator is putting out less than the optimal amount of volts (i don't think this is the case with the JT, especially the upgraded alternator)
  2. You are using deep cycle batteries that need higher voltage to fully charge (which, it doesn't seem you would with the genesis offroad kit, you'd use two starting batteries)
  3. You want to add solar as a charging option (which, yes, you might, but is not absolutely necessary)
For my needs, 2-3 days out in nature, I think the Genesis offroad kit will be enough battery. The math I need to do is, how long would could a DC fridge last on one of those Odyssey batteries. That will be the bulk of my battery use. Lights are minimal.

I will still add a DC-to-DC charger, but for solar, to keep the batteries charged up.
I thought he said newer than 2006 vehicles doesn't get up to 14.8volts which the deep cycle batteries like. (guess you say that in scenario 2) So just a relay disconnect wouldn't be ideal as it'll charge both batteries at a lower voltage.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While you can use starting batteries, i wouldn't, you'll kill their longevity with discharging, I think gensis intends you to use 2 deep cycle batteries.

I thought he said newer than 2006 vehicles doesn't get up to 14.8volts which the deep cycle batteries like. (guess you say that in scenario 2) So just a relay disconnect wouldn't be ideal as it'll charge both batteries at a lower voltage.
Yea the odyssey batteries recommended by genesis seem to be very good starting/deep cycle batteries. They are both. I don’t have the stats in front of me, but the cranking amps is high, and the cycles is about 400+
I need to do some research on what typical cycle life is for standard deep cycle batteries of that size (group 25).

As for the alternator - I am totally guessing that the upgraded alternator in the JT, that comes with the towing package, has to be outputting the right amount of voltage. But, yes, that’s speculation. We’d need to confirm it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But, yes, that’s speculation. We’d need to confirm it.
yes, that should be easy with multimeter from battery terminal once running. That would be nice to not need the DC/DC just for that.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)