Sponsored

Solar Panel Overlanding

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
What do you guys know about solar panels and overlanding? Any awesome site, or thread to read about it? Any of you planning to supplement your dual battery setups with a panel or two? How much extra juice do they provide, what is the method of calculating this, milliamp hours?
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I do plan to get a solar panel or two, as a backup tho - to keep my batteries charged. Not necessarily to run power directly. But I'm definitely still doing research.

@drogers post in the 12V thread was referring to that somewhat. It sounds like he might have some good suggestions

In a perfect world I’d do a full DC-DC charger setup with one of these:
https://adventure-ready.com/store/redarc-bcdc1225d-vehicle-battery-charger/

- gives you dual inputs (alternator and solar) and jumpstart capabilities, and it lets you charge many different kinds and sizes of house batteries (so you could run house power off LifePO4 or even a bank of 18650s if you want (that would give you some packaging flexibility!).

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
^^^ Andrew St. Pierre is a good source for all things overlanding.
The first thing you want to figure out is what your AH draw will be over a 24 hr period.
If you are able to charge your second battery through your alternator while driving and you move every day then you may not need any additional charging. If you plan to stay in one place for several days than a solar panel or two, run through a charge controller to your battery should keep things charged nicely.

Although not an apple to apple comparison on my overlanding truck camper I am running two, 100 amp solar panels through a solar charge controller to a 100 AH lithium phosphate 12 volt battery. I previously had 2, 6 volt 220 AH batteries but the LiPho battery is better and lighter.
I am using this setup to run all the LED lights, a large 12 volt fridge, radio and propane heater when needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
^^^ Andrew St. Pierre is a good source for all things overlanding.
The first thing you want to figure out is what your AH draw will be over a 24 hr period.
If you are able to charge your second battery through your alternator while driving and you move every day then you may not need any additional charging. If you plan to stay in one place for several days than a solar panel or two, run through a charge controller to your battery should keep things charged nicely.

Although not an apple to apple comparison on my overlanding truck camper I am running two, 100 amp solar panels through a solar charge controller to a 100 AH lithium phosphate 12 volt battery. I previously had 2, 6 volt 220 AH batteries but the LiPho battery is better and lighter.
I am using this setup to run all the LED lights, a large 12 volt fridge, radio and propane heater when needed.
100amp solar panel? Did you mean 100 watts?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of sweet videos for me to catch up on.
the australian direct video is definitely the most comprehensive. It doesn't seem like you can find KickA$$ products here in the US, but there are equivalents.

For example, it looks like National Luna makes a portable battery box:
https://www.nationalluna.com/product-category/battery-management/portable-systems
National-Luna-12V-Auxiliary-Battery-Box-01.jpg

I feel like, I could put that in the truck bed, no sweat. Looks nice tucked away, and the wiring could be made real nice. The Genesis Offroad stuff is still "easier" - but this could be a very good option.
@drogers you might like this stuff, since you could get a bigger battery...

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

and then scroll down and read the comment by "Tom Cardale"
Wow, watched the video and read the reply by Tom. Interesting!

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, watched the video and read the reply by Tom. Interesting!
Yea very.

But, I’ll tell you what, the one hour long video from Australian direct was much more informative. I think it helped me understand what Andrew SP was trying to explain. Tom’s reply made me doubt Andrew, but the other video helped me understand better the whole thing. Obviously I may not ever need a system to the scale described, the genesis dual battery system is probably enough for me, I think, but this info was all very very helpful.

I’ve also found a few other similar products. I’ll post them here.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea very.

But, I’ll tell you what, the one hour long video from Australian direct was much more informative. I think it helped me understand what Andrew SP was trying to explain. Tom’s reply made me doubt Andrew, but the other video helped me understand better the whole thing. Obviously I may not ever need a system to the scale described, the genesis dual battery system is probably enough for me, I think, but this info was all very very helpful.

I’ve also found a few other similar products. I’ll post them here.
i'd appreciate it. i'll have to wait for the wife to go to bed to watch an hour long video about mobile solar panels, lol.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i'd appreciate it. i'll have to wait for the wife to go to bed to watch an hour long video about mobile solar panels, lol.
Yea it was a long one. I’d say the big learning is in the first 20 minutes or so. After he goes into installation, which is cool for sure, but he explains the theory early on.
Sponsored