Gladiator JT VSS System - 30 WATT Hood Solar Panel

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
The one in the video looks just like the one that the guy in The Story Till Now uses. I think it's viable, since you could be driving for hours and charging your stuff during the entire drive, you could charge your Jackery and keep your fridge supplemented with power, and anything else you could think of. Parking in the shade wouldn't dissuade me from using it, if it turned out to be real handy then I could always park at an angle where the hood is exposed to the sunshine.
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this question in a separate thread last week, but I donā€™t think it got any visibility.

Iā€™m hoping @JCHGlad @Blade1668 @DrJ or @BarelyAwake might see this and weigh in. Thanks.

ā€”

I installed a Cascadia 4x4 solar panel on my Overland a couple of weeks ago.

Almost immediately, I noticed my reported battery voltage during engine runtime drop from the mid 14v range to low to mid 13v range (pretty much 14.5 to 13.2). I assumed this meant the solar panel was charging the battery and the smart alternator was adjusting its load accordingly.

In the last few days I noticed my reported battery voltage during engine runtime creep back up, ultimately back up to 14.4. Thatā€™s when I checked the MPPT.

The MPPT was showing solid green and yellow. From my read of the user manual, that seems to mean the battery is healthy, and the panel is connected but not actively charging.

7C63645B-49A5-4434-9BE3-41F60150AE3B.jpeg

The manual also said that if the panel is in direct sun light and showing solid green (instead of blinking), I should pull the fuse to reset the MPPT.

I did that and immediately the MPPT started blinking again.

I checked the next day under direct sun and it was solid green again.

Iā€™m just curious from other Cascadia usersā€”what is your runtime battery voltage? Does your MPPT often go to solid green under direct sun?

Iā€™m just having a tough time having a good basis to troubleshoot this thing to determine if it is working normally or not.

Any feedback is appreciated.
It sounds like it's working as it should, typically the OEM charging system doesn't always fully charge the battery(s) from my experience. Have you noticed the temperature of the panel that is something else that can put it in stand by to protect the system. If your batteries are fully charged the MPPT controller should stop charging the batteries, that would put it in stand by. Have you checked it with multi-meter? You can check it's output and the battery.
I've seen mine as low as 11.9 v after driving via the vehicle charging and up to 13.9/14.1 v. That is from monitoring by Renogy controller Bluetooth app on my phone.
Between the 85 w from Cascade system and the other 100w with Renogy controller pushing a charge to all 4 different 12v batteries I've got wired in. All 4 are staying close to full charge. With the caveat of no rain and clouds for 4-5 days straight.šŸ™„
After I read your post I actually popped the hood and checked mine it's running aka flashing green light that was after driving 45-50 miles.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Thanks for checking, and the detailed response.

Only other things Iā€™ve noticed and am curious from other usersā€”rain water. If it rains, the panel seems to trap water under itself for a few days and will ā€œspill outā€ through the windshield bump cutouts as I drive. I didnā€™t think too much of it, but I was just surprised how much there was and how long it stays under there.

Is that your experience as well?

It sounds like it's working as it should, typically the OEM charging system doesn't always fully charge the battery(s) from my experience. Have you noticed the temperature of the panel that is something else that can put it in stand by to protect the system. If your batteries are fully charged the MPPT controller should stop charging the batteries, that would put it in stand by. Have you checked it with multi-meter? You can check it's output and the battery.
I've seen mine as low as 11.9 v after driving via the vehicle charging and up to 13.9/14.1 v. That is from monitoring by Renogy controller Bluetooth app on my phone.
Between the 85 w from Cascade system and the other 100w with Renogy controller pushing a charge to all 4 different 12v batteries I've got wired in. All 4 are staying close to full charge. With the caveat of no rain and clouds for 4-5 days straight.šŸ™„
After I read your post I actually popped the hood and checked mine it's running aka flashing green light that was after driving 45-50 miles.

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
My VSS System is still in the mail...I'm excited to get it for sure. My plan is to install as normal...but then run 12 gauge wire from the MPPT's AUX wires to a 12V Marine grade outlet in my bed. My Diamondback will keep it protected from weather. I then plan to run a Jackery off the 12V in the bed outlet to keep my Jackery topped off. Then the options are endless out from the Jackery.

...excited

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for checking, and the detailed response.

Only other things Iā€™ve noticed and am curious from other usersā€”rain water. If it rains, the panel seems to trap water under itself for a few days and will ā€œspill outā€ through the windshield bump cutouts as I drive. I didnā€™t think too much of it, but I was just surprised how much there was and how long it stays under there.

Is that your experience as well?
You would really be surprised on how much the 85 w panel ends up under it. Then opening up the hood.. Especially with all the rain I've been getting here. I'm starting to think I'm back in west side of WA. again or might need to build a ark. I live on side of a big dang hill.šŸ˜³šŸ˜³
Sponsored