Replace spare wheel with matching?

JRW

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator
I'm bout that 5 tire rotation life, but I'm worried the spare wheel will look like crap after it's time under the truck, finish and such.

plus, I let Discount rotate my tires. will they pull a under mounted spare and include in the rotation or would I have to have it in the bed? I put an average of 20-25k miles a year on my cars.

I wouldn't think a wear difference tire would be a large issue offroad with our 4wd system, it's not like it's super techy and fancy. I would only run the spare to get back to the hwy personally. I wouldn't want to use a factory spare with all the others running 37's though, that might bind something up.
Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Hey folks I know some are concerned about getting your nice spare scuffed up while 4 wheeling. I have a similar solution. Put the spare in the bed while 4 wheeling.

Tex-1836

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon. Black ext. / tan leather interior
can anyone confirm that a factory Rubicon wheel will fit in the spare position? Concern is whether the retainer will fit through the center of the aluminum wheel. thanks.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
can anyone confirm that a factory Rubicon wheel will fit in the spare position? Concern is whether the retainer will fit through the center of the aluminum wheel. thanks.
It will fit. Center through hole is the same size on both steel and aluminum wheels.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
reviving this thread.... I just replaced my gladiator spare with a matching 5th, the cable dropper fits just fine in the new rim's center hole, and the shiny side of the rim does face up towards the bed. There are also bumpers on the bottom of the bed that rest against the face of the tire, not the rim itself, so it should stay all nice looking while under there.

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Going to revive this one also... for those of you who have purchased a matching 5th wheel and rotated it in, have you noticed any damage (cosmetic or physical) to the spare that lives under the truck in between tire rotations? That seems to be a concern reading through previous posts, but I haven't seen any pictures of the 5th (matched) wheel rotated in that shows damage or no damage.
Sponsored