Sponsored

Replacing 1 tire/Tread Depth. Lets fight.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think y’all should all go out and measure the tread depth of all of your tires (including the spare), and report back. This whole issue is being overthought.
No kidding - less than 4 revolutions per mile difference.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
The one tire issue above all for me is the stupid, idiotic, bottom feeders that think it is ok to use the space saver spare as a long term use item. Balance dot placement is second. Cheers.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The one tire issue above all for me is the stupid, idiotic, bottom feeders that think it is ok to use the space saver spare as a long term use item. Balance dot placement is second. Cheers.
Always put the red dots on the car so they are on the bottom. When you rotate tires, make sure you keep the red dots down at the bottom.
If they aren't all lined up the vehicle may vibrate.

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
Always put the red dots on the car so they are on the bottom. When you rotate tires, make sure you keep the red dots down at the bottom.
If they aren't all lined up the vehicle may vibrate.
LOL!!!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I type this respectfully... But...

You guys are actually discussing less than 2/10ths of tire tread difference in relation to AWD and 4WD performance?

This is a bit over the top. Respectfully, do ya'll have A Life? A spouse? Something else to do?

There are mental health clinics available! LoL.

Hell, take your top and doors off of your JT and take a drive! Live life!

Live life to it's fullest. And frankly, it isn't found online.

See you on the trail... If I don't see you coming first. LoL.

(Meant in jest. Or was it)
LOL Well to be fair I'm at work, and work for a tire wholesaler, so this is just normal talk.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I will add my $.02 in now.... Of what I think, on my LJ and XJ I did 5 tire rotations until I couldn't AKA I damaged one tire and the tread pattern or model of tire went out of production. Over last 30 years I've ended 5 tire rotations down to 4 tire rotations a quite a few times due to that. On at least 3 sets due to orphan tire designs then ripped a sideway out in one or two tires damaged that level. Currently my LJ only has 4 matching 33 MTs due to tread pattern being discontinued after I four tires and had ordered a set of 5. "ProComp, Cooper and Hercules brands have done it to me" and the reason I used Goodyear mostly on LJ. I planned on doing 5 tire rotation on my JT but I was lazy and didn't swap out spare from stock steel rim :headbang: That I planned to do.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I type this respectfully... But...

You guys are actually discussing less than 2/10ths of tire tread difference in relation to AWD and 4WD performance?

This is a bit over the top. Respectfully, do ya'll have A Life? A spouse? Something else to do?

There are mental health clinics available! LoL.

Hell, take your top and doors off of your JT and take a drive! Live life!

Live life to it's fullest. And frankly, it isn't found online.

See you on the trail... If I don't see you coming first. LoL.

(Meant in jest. Or was it)
It has nothing to do with performance but mechanical durability.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It has nothing to do with performance but mechanical durability.
I'm a mechanic - started 45 years ago, factory and college trained. I know about mechanical stresses and longevity. Also hundreds of thousands of miles on LSD systems etc. (And certain transfer cases)
Performance is a word often used with smooth long life. Not hp and speed in every case.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I'm a mechanic - started 45 years ago, factory and college trained. I know about mechanical stresses and longevity. Also hundreds of thousands of miles on LSD systems etc. (And certain transfer cases)
Performance is a word often used with smooth long life. Not hp and speed in every case.
Right, but from the post I quoted, it reads like he is referring to handling/traction performance. I had a longer post, but edited 90% out of it because I didn't want to be a jackass.

Performance is merely the measurement spectrum.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I went from 31.5" to 33" tires, so bought 5 and mounted the spare on a matching aluminum wheel. If I damage a tire after the four (I do a 4-tire rotation as Jeep shows in the manual) are worn, I would buy another new tire and mount it plus the unused spare. I would then keep the other worn but still good tire as a spare.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I went from 31.5" to 33" tires, so bought 5 and mounted the spare on a matching aluminum wheel. If I damage a tire after the four (I do a 4-tire rotation as Jeep shows in the manual) are worn, I would buy another new tire and mount it plus the unused spare. I would then keep the other worn but still good tire as a spare.
The manual for the JT shows a 4 because they sold the truck ONLY without a matching spare.
Look in other Jeep owner manuals and they say "do a five tire rotation if equipped with a matching spare" or words to that effect. For example, the WK2 and OTHER Jeeps are available with a matching spare tire AND wheel. Those owner manuals say if you have a matching spare, do a 5 tire rotation.
I showed one of the guys at a shop the manual for my wife's WK2 and they said "yup, that's what we do if it matches" - I explained that I had one service writer argued the point- and the other guy bluntly says "he's wrong, if they all match, always do a 5".
Sort of funny, after that other service writer told me he'd not do a 5 tire rotation, and he balked at my tonneau cover issues, I've not seen him there the last couple of times I've been there and they have a new guy.

So although Jeep says "rotate like this" for the JT, that is only because no JT is sold with 5 tires and wheels so you can do a 5 tire rotation. They aren't going to confuse people by putting another 2 or 3 sentences in a book for a truck that never comes with a matching spare becauae dumb owners are going to freak out if the shop won't do it.
Other Jeep manuals (non-JT) say to do 5 (if equipped)

Tire sites also highly recommend 5 tire rotations if you have a matching spare.
Sponsored