First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
many years ago, I had a white Celica, brand new, ultra white. I added the white wheels and yes, looks like a million bucks. Originally I wanted a white JT, and then, gaining the wifes approval for another vehicle for recreation, she suggested Red, and since the last trucks I had were also red, by choice, I jumped at the approval, and I like it, but I'm still very partial to the white. Enjoy! and see you on the trails at some point.
I like the red too. Was a close second to the white when we went Gladiator shopping.
Sponsored

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon Launch Edition Granite Crystal
Occupation
Self employed
You have to keep them lubed, and if your battery is low, they move slow too. If you start the jeep, there is a bit more power to retract them.
hi Dave sorry for late answer been a bit out of network :)

thanks for your answer i will check the battery an also check if my lube fits with the specs.

and also it still time , happy an fructuous year

bbowsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mojave JT
I have rockslide and love them. They do, however, get a bit finicky under 30 degree weather. Not sure you will have that problem in arizona? I just turn them off when it gets super cold.
Been leaning towards getting the RSE Power Steps and came across this thread. I'm between these and something fixed, I really like the idea of the power steps but your comment about the cold concerns me. Do you mind elaborating? Does "finicky" mean they just don't work quite as well/quickly or do they freeze shut or possibly not open/close on a regular basis? If that's the case, I think I'll just got with something with no moving parts so I don't have to worry about how the family will get into the truck all winter long.

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21JKUR
Yes, as said before lube the joints and charge your battery.
Mine work fine at 4 degrees F lately

Sponsored

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Been leaning towards getting the RSE Power Steps and came across this thread. I'm between these and something fixed, I really like the idea of the power steps but your comment about the cold concerns me. Do you mind elaborating? Does "finicky" mean they just don't work quite as well/quickly or do they freeze shut or possibly not open/close on a regular basis? If that's the case, I think I'll just got with something with no moving parts so I don't have to worry about how the family will get into the truck all winter long.
Donā€™t get me wrong, itā€™s a great product and i love them!
When it gets very cold tho, my driver side gets pretty slow, and there have been times it doesnā€™t fully retract and seat in the pocket like it should and sticks out about a 1/2ā€.
I have read they have upgraded the electric motor on new units.
one of these days, Iā€™ll contact them and see about upgrading my elec motors.

bbowsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mojave JT
Yes, as said before lube the joints and charge your battery.
Mine work fine at 4 degrees F lately
Good enough for me, I think I'm sold on them. Especially if the newer motors seem like they're going to have fewer issues in the cold. Thanks for the input!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Donā€™t get me wrong, itā€™s a great product and i love them!
When it gets very cold tho, my driver side gets pretty slow, and there have been times it doesnā€™t fully retract and seat in the pocket like it should and sticks out about a 1/2ā€.
I have read they have upgraded the electric motor on new units.
one of these days, Iā€™ll contact them and see about upgrading my elec motors.
I think they are now on version 3. Apparently that's one of the changes - improvements on that system. (and the shape is better if I read their notes right)

I just can't justify the 2600+ or whatever they are, but if I got them, I'd likely look into switching the lube they use in the gears if it's like what wiper motors use - it's like wax when it gets cold - very stiff. I use lithium white lube in all of the small motor gear boxes I work on.

SubiRubi

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
FWIW I have the version 3 Rockslide and they work great.. Pricey yes but I think it's totally worth it.. Here's why
1. Mostly enclosed so dirt water and mud don't get into the good parts..
2. They are prewired for adding your own led lights
3. They are sturdy, Had a hell of a time getting them on by myself!! Heavy bitches!
4. They are rugged enough for use as rock sliders.. They also have added protection you can buy and put on.
5. They are wide... So even without the retractable step they can be used as a running board

Just my 2 cents ;)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW I have the version 3 Rockslide and they work great.. Pricey yes but I think it's totally worth it.. Here's why
1. Mostly enclosed so dirt water and mud don't get into the good parts..
2. They are prewired for adding your own led lights
3. They are sturdy, Had a hell of a time getting them on by myself!! Heavy bitches!
4. They are rugged enough for use as rock sliders.. They also have added protection you can buy and put on.
5. They are wide... So even without the retractable step they can be used as a running board

Just my 2 cents ;)
How wide compared to, say, the Overland running board?

Jeep Gladiator Retractable running boards 20220113_134220_HDR

Sponsored

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
Canā€™t speak to the Overland width but here are the Rockslide Engineering Stepsliders widths. Itā€™s about 3 Ā½ ā€ at the narrowest point and barely 4 1/2ā€ at the widest point. Still plenty of room to use as a step or stand on.
Jeep Gladiator Retractable running boards 488E182F-EEA8-4CED-AFF3-5DC2E0C39ECF
Jeep Gladiator Retractable running boards F17CCBBD-2E49-4890-977D-D34B8F0C9DEF

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Canā€™t speak to the Overland width but here are the Rockslide Engineering Stepsliders widths. Itā€™s about 3 Ā½ ā€ at the narrowest point and barely 4 1/2ā€ at the widest point. Still plenty of room to use as a step or stand on.
Thanks for the info - I can measure my Overland stock running boards and see how things compare. I'd not mind taking the front of mine up another 1/2" but my wife has trouble getting in as it is.

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I think they are now on version 3. Apparently that's one of the changes - improvements on that system. (and the shape is better if I read their notes right)

I just can't justify the 2600+ or whatever they are, but if I got them, I'd likely look into switching the lube they use in the gears if it's like what wiper motors use - it's like wax when it gets cold - very stiff. I use lithium white lube in all of the small motor gear boxes I work on.
Not sure which version I have, weā€™re on the Jeep when I bought it, but it was Atleast over a year ago when they were purchased by the orig owner.
Been using white lithium on mine as well.

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate

With the retractable step coming down, we donā€™t even use the upper portion of the step that I measured for you. I guarantee your wife will have an easier time with these steps. My wife loves them.

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21JKUR
Gen 3 was in use in 2018. On my TJ I started out with Gen 1 then got the gen 2 update where clutches were replaced with current sensors resulting in new motors and new black box. Gen 3 is like Gen 2 but with more wear resistant pivot bearings and SS arms for more strength. Never had slow motors.
The problem with Gen 2 was the step kept hanging up due to binding and warn pivots. Gen 2 and 3 have the same motors.
I agree with post #39. Darn good step
I installed my TJ steps in my shop solo made an adapter for my floor jack and bolted the step housing to that adapter. I am positive a JK, JL, or JT would be just as easy. The hardest part with the wiring. Just took some time. with good instructions.
BTW, my 21JLUR was installed by the experienced Jeep dealer and they made no mistakes. Had to do that due to time constraints.
Sponsored